Notices

Hoping this one takes.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping this one takes.

Day one. I usually do well for a week or two then it's back to drinking. I drink as an emotional crutch. And I will blow every cent I have on alcohol. It's affecting my job and I'm up front a new position that could change a lot in my life positively. It's time to put it away. Tired off letting this win.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Making a decision and backing it by taking action gave myself and loved ones hope. Sobriety is there for the taking but it is work. Programs are not there for those who need them, but want them.

Sick and tired of being sick and tired was a starting point in my case.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aaagh the day 1's. Had lots of those. Horrid days.
Make this day your last being sober is sooooo much better than being drunk, I've learnt it also beats the initial buzz you get from the first few drinks. Took me years to finally realise that. I hope it doesn't take as long for you.
Have you got any plans in place for when your AV sets in and starts telling you a drink would be a good idea?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Nunchuck - I'm so glad you joined us.

I drank as an emotional crutch too - but in the end it made me weak, emotionally fragile, and unable to move forward. It was never a comfort - or our friend. As you said, time to put it away.

You'll find plenty of encouragement here - we understand how Day 1 feels. We're here to listen and help.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

You can do it. Make it take!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Nunchuck,

As Poppy asked...what's your plan so that this time will be different? What will you be putting in place to provide you with emotional support so that you don't turn to alcohol?

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 08-22-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Nun chuck

There's actually no need to hope - you *can* make this stick with the right commitment and effort.

Do you have any idea yet on how you'll stay sober?

D
Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for helping guys. Honestly, I don't know what to do. Also, not sure what AV means. I stumbled across this site today and I thought maybe someone could help me out.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Addictive Voice or Alcoholic Voice.
It is the 'voice' in you head that rationalizes your need to drink and sets off cravings. Sometimes refferred to as The Beast. It lies and deceives you into thinking you can drink and it is ok.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I call it "other me"

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Addictive Voice or Alcoholic Voice.
It is the 'voice' in you head that rationalizes your need to drink and sets off cravings. Sometimes refferred to as The Beast. It lies and deceives you into thinking you can drink and it is ok.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Nunchuck View Post
Thanks for helping guys. Honestly, I don't know what to do. Also, not sure what AV means. I stumbled across this site today and I thought maybe someone could help me out.
Personally, I struggled for many years with multiple "attempts" at quitting drinking. These bouts of sobriety were more of - gee, I really need to chill on this for a bit till things settle down. Eventually I would drink again - maybe less at first, but more as things progressed.

Finally, in a moment of willingness I started going to meetings and eventually did step work. There is something about the fellowship that I found appealing and helpful. That is my experience and I now have a little over 3 years of continuous sobriety.

Find your way, your path - it is a journey worth taking Nunchuck.

Welcome