Notices

Drinking again.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love guzzling wine

what is about the wine guzzle that you "love"? there's a lot more involved that the wine going down the throat - there is everything ELSE that brought you here to SR. lack of control, house and finances in disarray, sketchy people in your life, general abject misery.

you seem to have a very passive or meek demeanor - thus perhaps why you are so easily influenced by the predatory neighbor and why you have not yet mounted a successful run at recovery. you "give in" - choose the easier softer way.

recovery is damn hard work. it doesn't happen without our full participation and commitment. the program of AA can certainly be a vehicle for change, but you will need to dedicate yourself to it. and that's more than making a meeting now and then.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure its about being passive or weak. In any case they're not very constructive terms IMO.

I know as a drinker I had so little self esteem that I sought external validation all the time - how other people treated me determined my worth...

but I got more self confident when I stayed sober and started to rely more on my own internal compass for validation.

Not having to dig myself out of financial crises every fortnight helped a lot too.

I think you do have the strength in you Sweetichick - it's time to start using it again

D
Old 08-22-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

sorry Dee, i didn't use the term WEAK, i said meek - sweetichick has shared getting literally mowed over by this across the street "friend" and talked about a bad experience with a woman from AA many years ago who took advantage of her. i meant in general as a gentle soul who struggles to be pro-active and is easily swayed or distracted.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry - my eyesights not the best.

I do appreciate the point I think you're trying to make - it just struck me it might be expressed more positively, and with a little more personal experience.

No harm no foul

D
Old 08-22-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

nor mine! i had to go double check my typing! whew! thanks for keeping me honest!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not sure its about being passive or weak. In any case they're not very constructive terms IMO.

I know as a drinker I had so little self esteem that I sought external validation all the time - how other people treated me determined my worth...

but I got more self confident when I stayed sober and started to rely more on my own internal compass for validation.

Not having to dig myself out of financial crises every fortnight helped a lot too.

I think you do have the strength in you Sweetichick - it's time to start using it again

D
I agree dee. Words carry A lot of weight. Not constructive at all.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

I will tell you what my sponsor told me before I stopped drinking. I hope that soon you encounter enough pain in life that you will find the desperation you need to go to any lengths it takes to get sober and to change your life.

After he told me that, it took the better part of a year and almost killing myself before I found the desperation to shut up, listen, and do as someone I trusted more than myself asked me to do. I hope that soon happens for you.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid of treatment. I love it so far.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellrzr View Post
I will tell you what my sponsor told me before I stopped drinking. I hope that soon you encounter enough pain in life that you will find the desperation you need to go to any lengths it takes to get sober and to change your life.

After he told me that, it took the better part of a year and almost killing myself before I found the desperation to shut up, listen, and do as someone I trusted more than myself asked me to do. I hope that soon happens for you.
I think that's great advice as long as the pain you encounter is not because of the loss of a loved one. Too often that's the pain that pushes us to the point of recovery but we will never recover the loss of that loved one. Stay strong and do whatever it takes to not drink.....today.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who replied. I'm not meek maybe a bit passive. I will be more careful about what I share on here. I'm glad I dumped the wine Tuesday.
I saw my psychiatrist. He was unhelpful and just checked my medication. He's definitely not a therapist. He never even asked how my drinking was.
This thread kept me sober the last two days. I still freak out at the thought of. AA and a sponsor. A lot of things freak me out.
My health still isn't great. I'm so fat and unfit. Time to fix that. I didn't notice so much when I was drinking. At least I am not dead.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Where there's life there's hope.
Honestly. I freaked out about the idea of a sponsor. So much so it took me about six month in AA to ask someone to be it. Lol. But it was such a flippin relief when I finally cracked on with it.

Be gentle with yourself re the weight . One thing at a time. Have a boogie housework session a few times a week. Your favourite oldies blaring out and some elbow grease. Fitness and a fresh gaff all in one .

Not all psychologists are up on addiction. Maybe it's worth changing to one who is.

Take care. BB
Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I still freak out at the thought of. AA and a sponsor. A lot of things freak me out.
gonna keep letting it control ya or are you ready to get some courage and face it all?
fear=
**** Everything And Run
or
Face EVERYTHING And Recover.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wishing you success this time. Use all the support you can get. That is key
Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sweetichick, how are you doing?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I got to day 5 and because it was payday I bought wine. AA was good. I don't think that there is any hope for me. I love guzzling wine. Seeing my shrink tomorrow to see if he can help.
I'm new here also day two of my mega wine habit I totally understand guzzling wine one of my favorite pastimes. You stumbled pick yourself up and start over I am only two days in and made the decision if I relapse just try again. Think how good you felt on those five mornings. We can do this
Old 08-25-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing ok sweetichick?

I hope you can start again and not get too downhearted from the struggle. I am finding it really hard going myself.
Support to you.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That was nice of you all ..asking how I am. I believe we can all find the strength to keep going if we support each other. I'm feeling positive today. It's just getting triggered by something that will cause me a problem. Maybe it's too late to undo some of my health concerns. I hope not. But I will never know till I have been sober for a while.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear you are ok.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweetichick, I am so glad you are back and feeling better. You simply must not give up because this disease is relentless. I hope that your health concerns diminish and hopefully clear up with your sobriety. We are here for you, so please know you have support.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sweetichick

my healths not great but I've pulled myself back to a pretty healthy standpoint.

it would be far far worse if I was still drinking...