Notices
View Poll Results: How often did you drink in a typical week?
Everyday
68.37%
Every 2nd day
11.53%
Every 3 or 4 days
11.37%
On the weekends only
6.43%
Other
5.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 607. You may not vote on this poll

Were you a daily drinker or every other day? #2

Old 08-19-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Boxer

Every day 14-20 beers for the last several years of it (built up over 20 years or so) and more on weekends bc I would start mid to late morning....Sooooo glad that's done and I gave myself a chance to really live and be happy
Old 08-19-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Every day for about 40 years. Started as beer drinker then as the disease progressed turned to wine , whiskey etc. At the end beer had absolutely no effect whatsoever.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Please feel free to answer the poll and/or discuss your drinking habits.

This is #2 in a series.

Thread #1 is here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...other-day.html

D
For me it was a lot more when I was in my 20's and 30's as far as frequency during the week ( the party girl). Towards the end ( 15 years ) I would sometimes drink once or twice a week night ( 1 plus bottles of wine ) , but mostly on the weekend. Friday OR Saturday. I could not drink every day, as I felt like a pile of poop due to a hangover. I was never an all day drinker. I could not get up an drink, hungover or not. I was an afternoon or evening drinker. Oh and when I got really stupid I would drink Crown Royal and Coke. Oh am I glad those days are history!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was a daily drinker. So very pleased that is behind me.

Sobriety

Rocks
Old 08-19-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

I'd drink daily. Mostly vodka but whatever I could get my hands on really.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Only every other week-end. Sometimes only once per month. BUT... I drank to get drunk because that's what I considered a good time. The hangovers became unbearable and of course all the other fun stuff. I could never imagine of being a daily drinker. I couldn't physically handle that. Sometimes I wonder if I belong here since it was only once in a while...
Old 08-19-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

everyday on 10-14 day benders, drank as soon as I felt 'well enough' to venture out, the first pint in the pub would be so hard to drink because of the shakes and anxiety, after 2-3 I'd feel normal again but then couldn't stop and would drink to blackout. The feeling of not wanting to drink but needing to to feel well is a truly horrible place. Still struggling but still want to stop and stay stopped......
Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

At the end I drank constantly, at least 8 tall-boy 8% abv per 24 hours(usually more) and I am a small woman. I did not eat anything for nearly two weeks. Drink/pass out, drink/pass out, ad infinitum. When I decided to quit all at once 12 hours later I developed alcoholic hallucinosis. It was a nightmare by any standards-huge spiders, balls of ants crawling up the wall and arranging in marching band formations, demonic faces, translucent owls flying about, frightening hieroglyph figures covering the walls-- even oddly whimsical things like little biplanes flying through the air, harlequin figures that looked made of folded construction paper slithering out of bookcases. Now I am on my 20th month of sobriety and feeling strong. If you are still drinking, please stop. I didn't think such things could happen to me until they did.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
At the end I drank constantly, at least 8 tall-boy 8% abv per 24 hours(usually more) and I am a small woman. I did not eat anything for nearly two weeks. Drink/pass out, drink/pass out, ad infinitum. When I decided to quit all at once 12 hours later I developed alcoholic hallucinosis. It was a nightmare by any standards-huge spiders, balls of ants crawling up the wall and arranging in marching band formations, demonic faces, translucent owls flying about, frightening hieroglyph figures covering the walls-- even oddly whimsical things like little biplanes flying through the air, harlequin figures that looked made of folded construction paper slithering out of bookcases. Now I am on my 20th month of sobriety and feeling strong. If you are still drinking, please stop. I didn't think such things could happen to me until they did.
WOW...that is downright scary! I am so glad you are doing well and on the Sober train now! Awesome job!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

every day usually start around 2 in afternoon drank 10 to 14 beers
Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I could also tick every box. I had my binge weekends at the start..Then a few beers after work 5days/wk..Then I started my own companies and could drink whenever I wanted..That led me to daily drinking and sometimes to extreme amounts (.31bac last dui!) so, yeah..progressive it is.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You see when I see how much and how often everyone drinks and it makes me think that I'm not that bad and it totally confuses my mind. Dee please shed some light on this. I mean do you have to be on that daily heavy level to constitute being here? Makes me feel like I'm over exaggerating my issue with alcohol?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Every. Single. Day. I was "fine" for awhile. Then the time got earlier and earlier. At the very end, breakfast was an IPA or 4. It becomes hard to convince yourself that this really isn't a problem when you're sipping beer at 6:30 a.m. I shudder to think about those horrible days.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Unhappy

No, no, my dear Sunshine! If you think you have a problem please do not drink! I share my experience because I never NEVER thought this would happen to me. I drank 'responsibly' for many many years yet it caught up to me in the end in a horrifying way. Lots of people never have hallucinosis or DTs or have dramatic horror stories, but alcohol still affects and destroys their lives in many other ways, big and small. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and nothing good ever comes from it. It is a destroyer of lives and families. I wasn't a derelict; I was not a skid-row alkie. I was a respected musician and teacher and held a full-time job helping lawyers and law firms design their engraved stationery. Again, please, please don't drink. It makes me sad to think that my story would encourage anyone to do so; my prayer is that it does the opposite. Wishing you the best on your sober journey.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

2-3 glasses of wine after work M-Th, but it was always a negotiation to not finish the bottle. More F-Su, sometimes binging to near blackout.

The end was a 5 week bender of 4-5 bottles a day on top of Lunesta at night, with alcoholic hallucinosis if I didn't drink for four hours.

When I finally saw my P-doc she firmly told me in no uncertain terms that I required medical detox and a 30 day inpatient rehab program. I left her office and said no freaking way, but when I got home and was shaking so bad until I drank half a bottle of wine, threw it up and drank the other half I called to check in.

Started the next day, 103 days ago.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

6-pack every night, 6:30-8PM, for the past decade or so, with an occasional day or 3 off in recent years. It had gotten to where it didn't do much besides making me want more, and making my kidneys hurt.

In my twenties it was more like 10+/day.

I think I've had my fill.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
You see when I see how much and how often everyone drinks and it makes me think that I'm not that bad and it totally confuses my mind. Dee please shed some light on this. I mean do you have to be on that daily heavy level to constitute being here? Makes me feel like I'm over exaggerating my issue with alcohol?
If you're here alcohol has brought you here. It's not the frequency or level of drinking that brings us here. It's how alcohol is having a negative effect on any part of your/our life. That's just my opinion though.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I was an every day drinker for most of the years I drank. Sometimes I would try to control it and would limit myself to only weekends, but I would really overdo it then. Most of the time I didn't try to control it and just drank as much as I wanted, usually 6-8 or more tall boys a day. The summer before I came back to SR after opening an account years earlier and never coming back, I had gotten hurt at work and spent 4 months at home laid up and the drinking got way out of control. All day, every day, starting in the morning. Glad I came back here because hanging out on here seriously ruined drinking for me. It changed my thinking and helped me turn things around, even though it took me another 2 years to quit for good.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

Pretty much every night, except when I was too sick to otherwise do so. Usually around a third or a fourth of one of those half-gallon bottles of cheap vodka. Those are dirt cheap in my state (about $10 for the cheapest brand), so I never broke the bank.

There were sometimes days in between when I didn't. Usually that was when I was sick (for some reason I didn't feel cravings for alcohol when sick) or at my parents' house, who forbid alcohol.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
if you thought it was enough of a problem, then it was - you don't have to be living under a bridge to qualify.

consider yourself lucky that you got out when you did - plenty of people wait waaaay longer, with all the mayhem that brings with it, or don't get out at all.