Notices

New Here

Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been browsing for a few weeks.

I am an alcoholic. I think I've known this for at least 10 years, but it has really hit me hard the past year or so. I'm a daily drinker and currently working on tapering to hopefully avoid severe withdrawal. My longest stretch of sobriety (other than during pregnancy) has been about 2 weeks and that was about 18 months ago.

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. My family needs me. Thank God I still have them. I try to hide my drinking from them as much as I can but they are not stupid. I leave work and go straight to the bar for a quick few drinks then get home from work and drink as much as I can before my boyfriend gets home. I hide the empty cans in the recycling bin or at the bottom of the trash can. This has been my life. When my boyfriend and our son want to go do fun things I stay home so I can drink in peace. I'm missing out on precious memories with them. I feel like I have lost myself through all of this. There is no more happiness.

I'm just looking for support and any tips anyone can give me on how to kick the habit for good. All of my close friends and family drink so I know I need to distance myself from them at least in the beginning.

It's inspiring to read the posts from people who have conquered this demon and are thriving. Thank you all!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Hope; so very glad that you found us.

There is an exponentially better way to live; I hope that the support, understanding and encouragement that you find here will help you achieve lasting sobriety and recovery.

Again, welcome, Hope.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome to SR Hope. It's not uncommon for alcoholics to count other alcoholics as their close friends. The longer I was sober, the more naturally my good friends became those that didn't drink to excess. I didn't plan it out that way, its was just the people I began to run into at my job, my pastimes, and my musical friends weren't alcoholics. A current good friend of mine is in recovery but I didn't know at first because through his recovery program he no longer shows any sign of wanting, planning or expecting to drink. Instead he's concerned about getting a better dingy for his boat, a video game when he has time off, completing his chef certification and his new job. We both did this our own way yet still believe in "One Day at a Time."
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope,

this is a great site, and I owe my continued recovery to the support here. One day at a time, the days give way to weeks, give way to months. Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here are links to some not to miss SR threads, Hope:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...recovery-plans.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html
Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ts-better.html
Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Two more you may want to look into:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-260-a.html
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome for recognizing that this is a real issue! I recommend finding a program that works for you-sobriety seems difficult to handle on my own
Old 06-23-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family. The support offered here has helped me tremendously and I hope it does the same for you. Believe me, it is tough to give up alcohol, but well worth the effort!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Hope121310

Read around , post as much as you like - see what others a doing to say sober. Fuind a way that makes sense to you

You're not alone

D
Old 06-23-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Hope, and welcome to SR! My advice is, never give up. If you relapse, don't beat yourself up. It won't accomplish anything, and puts you in the wrong frame of mind.

I had many false starts (as did so many other people here). Every time, I adjusted something in my plan, and am now at almost five months sober, loving every moment of it.

SR might be all you need. If that doesn't work, add in AA, SMART, or some other support group, individual therapy, talking to a close friend, relative, spiritual advisor, etc. Or, maybe, like me, intensive outpatient treatment (IOP) would be helpful. Whatever it takes, do it! You're worth it!

Oh, and never hesitate to involve your doctor. I had great trepidation about talking to my doctor, but she was genuinely concerned and caring, and has helped me tremendously. I never regret being honest with her.

By the end of my drinking days, my wife and older children didn't trust me (nor should they have; I was a lying, bottle-hiding, manipulative drunk). With honesty and sobriety, those relationships are mending, and the lost time I had with them is being filled in with new memories. We just took our first family vacation in almost four years, something we couldn't have afforded while I was drinking away our savings. We all had a fantastic time, and it's a trip I'll always remember.

Life really does get better with sobriety. Please stick around and do whatever it takes to get sober and love life without alcohol. It really is possible with some effort. Peace to you and your family.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family and glad you made it here
There is tons of great info here and you will get a lot of support and understanding.
have faith it will get better, keep reading around and posting, you will never regret giving yourself a shot at sobriety!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome hope. My biggest tip? DO STUFF! Hell for leather, just do stuff. Anything and everything you can to stay sober and grow. Epsecially when it seems pointless or too hard. GO TO A MEETING- and not allow yourself not to with 'it is not for me' or 'they will force all that god crap down my throat'. It is something 9even if it is just for the time spent there) a way of staying sober, connecting and learning. Post at ST hundreds, thousands of times. When a craving hits? POST. When sadness creeps in, or any emotion- post. Joi some of the threads in newcomers- so you can get to know people. See a doc. about your health- being scared is an excuse. See a counsellor, a psychologist- to deal with everyday 'little' problems, like kids, money, whatever- as well as getting down to root causes for drinking in the first place.
Keep a journal. Read back through it. Not a weekly one- but ongoing, daily.
Write lists of stuff.
Read and research about recovery.
Join stuff- local clubs, go to the library.
No matter how silly the 'stuff' on your list is - do it.
Support to you.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. Always keep your family in your mind and in your heart. Family is one of the best motivations that there is. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hope!!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope! Coming to SR is a great start! The first steps are scary but so worth it. Glad to have you here!