Notices

High stress and changed mindset

Old 06-22-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High stress and changed mindset

I've got a couple things I need to put out there. The first will probably make a few of you roll your eyes, but I'm gonna put it out there anyway. I'm changing my view towards alcohol. I've thought about it in terms if it were a drug. And if it were a drug, it would be a terrible drug. Of all the drugs out there, alcohol would be the worst. In just the perfect amount you get a little high and silly, but double or triple the dose and now you puking, defecating, passing out, blacking out, getting in fights and have zero impulse control. Worse yet, when the high is over, you feel horrible, can't eat, can't sleep, sometimes can barely hold a conversation and the only thing that will make you feel better is more of the drug. I think we are brainwashed through marketing into thinking that booze is somewhat classy and harmless. Baloney. Its horrible. Its helped me mentally in thinking of it in these terms.

The other thing is I am less than a week away from listing my house, got lots of work done, poured every last dime into it making it perfect and I'm stressed to the gills. There is no way I could have done this and been efficient at it while actively drinking. I'm like a general contractor coordinating people. painter, driveway, windows, carpet, heating and air guy, electrician etc...It'll be worth it though because there will be nothing anyone can "nitpick" at. Throw in lake access and I feel fairly good about the sale. Things are gonna happen fast. In 45 days I will likely be posting from a new home.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All sounds good, t.
Been there with the house selling thing. Nerve wracking as heck.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck on the sale of your house. And, getting everything fixed up before you sell is such a good idea.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Good luck on the sale of your house. And, getting everything fixed up before you sell is such a good idea.
Its sad that I will do all of this for the new owners, but I never did it for myself. haha.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

Good luck with the house sale, Jeff!

Sounds like you are doing a great job getting it ready.

I hope you can step back and be at peace with all you have done - living sober and the work on your house!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jeff, we recently had some real estate agents hunting our property and truth be told, now that the market has stabilized and with the recent sale of two homes on the lake, we probably could get a good price. BUT we'd have to do a TON of upgrades and i'm short about $50,000 for that. but the thing that really was the kicker, for me, was - i will be DAMNED if i am going to remodel and put in a new kitchen and then LEAVE! if anyone is getting new flooring (leveled please), new cabinets, countertops, a working dishwasher and a farm style sink it's ME!!!!

i bet your place is lovely and you'll get a sweet offer. best of luck to my friend!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your view towards alcohol being a drug: I don't disagree at all. I am a member of NA and is also considered alcohol a drug.

Good luck on the sale of your house. I too hope you can have some relax time when it's done and maybe hopefully, you take the time out to do some projects for yours and your family's enjoyment and benefit
Old 06-22-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is a drug. And an extraordinarily dangerous one at that, too. Just happens to be legal and ingrained in our society, unfortunately.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I totally agree with your point regarding alcohol being a drug Jeff. I had the same conversation with my sobriety mentor yesterday.

Good luck with the sale of your house x
Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Into the Void

So true about alcohol. How many other drugs do you see where people are going crazy or comatose in public? Where they literally lose the ability to talk? Just heroin really, that's pretty bad company. (Sorry, I meant the drug, not the addicts.)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Oh, and good luck with the house. Maybe you can take some of the sales proceeds and juice them a little further by betting on Mayweather over McGregor in August. Should be free money, really.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

All the best with the sale Jeff....and hey if thinking of alcohol that way keeps you true, whatever works

D
Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not at risk of drinking, but my mind does wander on occasion, especially during stressful/emotional times. I was so used to numbing the feelings, it was easy. Reminders of alcohol's destructive qualities is needed once in awhile. I have recently set some physical, spiritual and financial goals for myself. Concrete measurable goals. Will never achieve them if I go back to drinking. In the last 2 years I have only had 3 real goals and they were kind of lame, but important. I needed to walk/run again, I needed gainful employment and I wanted to become physically fit. I achieved them for the most part but they are kind of flimsy goals. I will stay the course and hopefully achieve the new loftier goals.