Notices

Weekender Thread 23-25 June. Enjoy your revovery this weekend

Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Welcome Siyo & happy birthday Ken!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Ken!

This is also my younger daughter's birthday!

Enjoy yourself!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Onward!

I have my first real social event tomorrow; a family bbq, but I have a sober aunt (35+ years) and a sober nephew I barely know...time to introduce myself! It will be interesting to see the dynamics change without my pinot grigio persona presiding!
I'm in all the way!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

That'll be fun, Syl.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Onward!

Thanks Brenda,
I've never gone to party sober, nor had I ever intended to leave one that way...until now. I still don't know how to present my sober committment, if at all? Do I "announce" to my family that I have stopped drinking forever, or do I quietly seltzer-and-lemon-wedge it? My partner has always been the DD because he had no choice, so tomorrow will be very interesting. The truth is that most of them will be so buzzed by the time I get there that they probably won't even notice my abstinence...but I will.
Onward!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Ken xxx
Old 06-23-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

As expected I'm having urges today, so watched "Risky Drinking". Excellent way to re-enforce not drinking. I identify with the first girl and the mom from the Mom's Happy Hour segment. Also, husband and I are catching a dinner theater and that should keep our Friday night happy hour neighbors at bay. As we have a pool and this is the place to unwind after a long week... So if we aren't home problem solved!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siyo View Post
Hello 😊
I am new to this site and recovery. I am so relieved I have found this site. Weekends are the most difficult for me, especially when my daughter is away, as she will be this weekend. I miss her terribly and pass the time with drinking, alone. Not good. I am so ready for sobriety.
Welcome Siyo!
This is a fabulous group of people. I'm so glad you found it.
Congratulations!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sylvan1 View Post
Thanks Brenda,
I've never gone to party sober, nor had I ever intended to leave one that way...until now. I still don't know how to present my sober committment, if at all? Do I "announce" to my family that I have stopped drinking forever, or do I quietly seltzer-and-lemon-wedge it? My partner has always been the DD because he had no choice, so tomorrow will be very interesting. The truth is that most of them will be so buzzed by the time I get there that they probably won't even notice my abstinence...but I will.
Onward!
I went to my very first party, sober, 2 week-ends ago.
I know how you feel.
I made it through without drinking and actually enjoyed myself. I was afraid I wouldn't know what to do or how to act!
I told everyone I had to drive which is why I wasn't drinking.
Have a great, sober time and make sure you come back and let us know how it goes!!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

That is beautiful soberleigh
TY!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sylvan1 View Post
Thanks Brenda,
Onward!
No announcements, no. You can't control people's responses or reactions, and if they say inappropriate things or hurtful things or treat you differently, that is just additional stress you don't need in recovery. Your choice to drink or not is nobody's business but yours.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders makeover and Sylvan1!

I agree about not making a big announcement as I think it puts yourself under more pressure.

Dinner and Theatre sounds good.

I had slightly tough evening at Crazy Golf (co-runner up btw) as some of my friends who went to the Le Mans 24hrs motor race were there and naturally enough were talking about it.

I was pleased to hear that my youngest daughter who went in my place with a friend got on OK with them, I was a bit worried that because of the age difference she would find them a bit boring (and worse still say so - lol!) but apparently she was on her best behavior throughout.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Happy birthday Ken!

This is also my younger daughter's birthday!

Enjoy yourself!
and my grandson's birthday. Evidently there were some great people born on this day
Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Welcome Sayo, spend some time and browse around the site. You'll find the stickies are full of good information.

Happy Birthday Ken!

Enjoy you Vacation makeover. I recently had my first sober vacation and boy was I ever grateful.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Just checking in! It's day 4 for me and I spent the evening with my youngest son and husband. It was my son's last day of school so we celebrated with Chinese food.. not my type of food but at least they had sushi too.. The table next to us was a family of four and the husband and wife we're sharing a scorpion bowl.. I have to admit I was jealous. It instantly made me think of my husband and I and how we always had drinks and talked and laughed and would actually have (what I thought) was good quality time together. My husband is a fairly quiet person but if you got a few drinks into him he was always more talkative and we had some really good times together drinking and talking. I loved it. That's why my husband is one of my biggest triggers. Not that he is not supportive but I am always trying to recreate those times where we drank and giggled and talked.. Here's the problem though (and part of it is probably because we're getting old) lately it seems it never works out. Either we end up fighting, or one of us passes out first or the kids are still up so we can't spend time together anyways.. Whatever the reason it never works out and each weekend I would try to recreate it and usually just end up getting drunk by myself. I guess the question is why do I feel like we have to be drinking in order to have quality time? I am going to think about that one for a while.

Anyways, I'm safe for the night as I'm in bed. I quit my job recently and took on a private patient so I will be with her for 12 hours tomorrow so I am safe tomorrow too.. Sunday will be fairly easy so I think I just may be ok this weekend. :-)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and my condolences to you guys that lost a pet today or recently. I too have older dogs and am in the same situation. It is one of the hardest decisions I've ever tried to make.

Oh man did I just rattle on forever.. sorry about that. :-)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Welcome mandosca , feel free to rattle on. Let us know how your doing.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

It was nice to hear from you, Mandosca.

I know exactly what you mean about trying to recreate that perfect good time.

I fell prey to temptation when I had about three months' sober.

The first time was nirvana.

So I quickly bought another bottle to try to recreate it--and it didn't work at all. It just made me sluggish.

So I got mad and dumped it down the sink.

I tried and failed and dumped again for another ten days.

I was so sorry that I blew my sobriety for such a ridiculous dud!

Trust me, it'll never be the same.

The AV might give you a little taste of it here and there--but it doesn't stay good for long. It always goes sour.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders,

Didn't really get a chance to read everyone's posts but it seems like there's some good discussions here. Like thinking about those anxiety-free "good" times that I could hardly remember the next day—the anxiety part of me that wanted to avoid dealing with itself welcomed AV anytime, anywhere; little did that part of me know that doing that and not facing and working through said anxiety wasn't solving the problem, only prolonging it. Facing difficult emotions is no walk in the park, but so much more rewarding in the end to do so.

That said, I've had a lot going on this week regarding my own feelings about losing my dog Argus tomorrow. I did write a final post in Newcomers tonight. If anyone is interested it's at:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gratitude.html

Keep up the good work Weekenders!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning gang.

Sending positive vibes your way argillaceous on this difficult day.

The blue skies of a few days ago have well and truly gone for now, it is very grey and murky out this morning.

Sorry about the support wires in the photo, I could not find a position to bypass them. Presumably those gas canisters in the narrow boat are empty "returns," I certainly hope so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170624_055801.jpg (53.1 KB, 40 views)