Notices

Weekender Thread 23-25 June. Enjoy your revovery this weekend

Old 06-22-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm in! Not sure how I have missed this thread for 9 hours, but somehow I did!

Looking forward to a great sober weekend!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Haven't joined one of these week-enders in a while. My weakest moments are when my son is away... and he is flying for the first time alone tomorrow until Monday to see family in Kentucky. I'm worried every which way... will keep busy and stay away from the booze... I've gotten better at dealing with this pending empty nest... but I still have weak moments... He is now 16 so time to let go...
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I think that happens to many of us Brenda. Don't let it get you down.
Indeed, I identify. In my earlier days here I would find myself on this board pondering who liked my posts and who didn't, who replied to my posts and who didn't. The mindframe of "how come that person replied to them but they didn't reply to me?". I also would read replies to some of my posts and feel a bit of anger.

I've learned to let go of that. I don't like any one person any more or any less on this board. I am equally grateful for everyone. I try looking inward when I feel those old mindset feelings creeping in and instead of questioning others I question myself. I don't take anything personally.

Sometimes too, it's the things I liked hearing the least that I needed to hear the most but it took me some time to get there.

It's our thinking, it's how we roll. The nature of addictive tendencies. It takes some time to learn how to not be so self centered.

It's also why I use the like button on all posts in this thread. It's my way of sending the love and telling the person I've read what they had to say. I may not have a response but I did read.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm in - coming up on 3 weeks Sunday! This week has been a little tough - last week I had a huge project to finish by late Friday and once it was out the door I was soo happy just to be home for the weekend! This week has been more relaxed, which should be a good thing, but without that pressure I've felt my focus drifting a bit and temptation creeping in under the door. I'll post here tomorrow once I'm safely home with no stops for alcohol. In the meantime I think I'll come up with a project I have to finish by then.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm in Sao!

Welcome to all of the new members! It definitely does get easier as time goes by. Like others have mentioned, in the beginning time just seemed to drag. As I began to build my sober muscles and acquire new activities, time began to move much quicker.

Weekend's are still the hardest time for me...especially Friday nights. Each Friday I ensure that I have an activity planned to keep my mind off what used to be an EOW drunk, hangovers, wasted time and too much $ spent.

Today I am celebrating 4 months of sobriety and I haven't felt this good in a loooonnnnggg time! In just short time, my life has completely changed! I workout daily, take my vitamins, eat healthy, work my recovery plan and all is paying off positively in a huge way. Thank you everyone for helping me find my way. SR has been my lifeline!

Make it a great weekend everyone!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yours is a good attitude LadyBlue.

Good to see you sunshine.

Congratulations on 4 months CreativeThinker. Fantastic!

And well done on approaching 3 weeks Lascaux.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by argillaceous View Post
I'm in because this weekend is going to be a particularly rough one for me due to my husband and I helping our dog Argus pass over to the bridge on Saturday. We've had him for 12 years (he's 14, a retired racing greyhound, and is the sweetest and gentlest canine companion ever).

Am focusing now on trying to be in the present and enjoy our final few days for him.
I'm so sorry for your loss. No matter how long we have had our pets, it never seems long enough.
RIP Argus, tell all my boys hello for me
Stay strong in your sobriety this week-end with me!!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I am in. Poor Hawkeye made such a thoughtful post she missed the shotgun she thought she had. LOL!! This weekend I have a stupid blind date and I am going to do battle with weeds. Everything in my life is maintained so much better now. Including me!
You brave girl!
Good luck. Maybe he will turn out to be "THE ONE!!"
Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm totally in.
This will be my 3rd sober week-end, God willing.
Friday nights are my toughest. I may just go to a movie alone and try not to feel like a huge loser!
Saturday I am having a few sober friends over to spend the day at the pool.
Sunday I am deep cleaning my apartment and finally getting to boxes that are still unpacked!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congratulations, CT!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congratulations CT!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am in for the weekend too! Luckily I haven't had any urges or cravings lately (knock wood) but I know how the AV can strike from out of nowhere & I need to keep my guard up! Glad to be here with you all
Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I would love to join, I've never been in aweekenders group but since the weekends are always the hardest I should be! I am only on day 3 as I really screwed up the two months that I had and was super proud of but I'm trying to do things differently this time. :-)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm almost scared to post.... I seem to kill the weekenders thread each Thursday 😂
Hoping it just a coincidence!
Sorry about your doggie, my doggie is very old and I know that I too may soon be in a similar position 😢
Hugs from me xx
Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in! This is my first real sober weekend (I was, ehem, not feeling well last weekend). My first weekend alone for weeks and my first alone weekend without wine in.... no idea!! I will do it though!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders!

This week has been an odd juxtaposition of going by very, very slowly and also feeling like somehow the days just disappeared.

Della, when I was growing up we had dogs, mostly strays that my sister would bring home. One of the several we had during my childhood was my constant companion as I rode my bike to play in the park or explore the pond near our home. I was surprised at depth of my emotion when he passed, and realized then how important he had been to me growing up. Yes, they truly are family.

LadyBlue, it's reassuring to know there will be someone at the bridge to greet Argus. I'm sorry to hear that you feel waited too long. I don't think there is such a thing as "just doing the right thing." I think we make decisions from a loving place, and we do the best we can at any given time. Which I'm sure is what you did for Waffles (p.s. love the name).

When I saw Argus today, he had much more energy than in previous days, chowed his entire dinner, and went out in the yard several times. When I see things like that I think, "No, wait, it's not his time yet..."

But then I have to remind myself that he can only walk about a total of three houses up and three back before his back legs start failing him; that he stands in the room we are in and doesn't hear us trying to call (and even then is reluctant to move or lay down); that in addition to going deaf, he is exhibiting signs of blindness; and much more.

You're right, knowing that you are doing the responsible thing doesn't make it easier, but I have always said that I would rather lose a pet a little earlier than its time than a little later. And I do feel strongly that as a pet owner, I have a responsibility to ensure that my pets leave this life with dignity.

FeelingL0st, I've always thought it was unfair that dogs lived such short lifetimes compared to us. But I remember reading somewhere that if dogs outlived us, then they'd be the ones who would be sad and lonely. I was somehow comforted by that because I think if I went first Argus wouldn't really understand and as a pack animal might feel the loss deeply.

Also, I appreciate the invitation to stay sober with you this weekend. It makes me feel like we're all in this together.

Petals, sorry to hear that your dog may also be ending what I'm sure has been a very full and rewarding life. As LadyBlue's cousin noted, making this decision is the most loving and unselfish thing you can do as a pet owner. As hard as it is, I really do believe that.

And hugs back at 'cha...

And thanks to everyone else who has posted their sentiments for our upcoming loss. It is very comforting to feel like my SR peeps are there for me.

Last edited by argillaceous; 06-22-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: slight sentence restructure
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekenders Thread FeelingL0st, mandosca and Beedebea, good to have you on the thread. You can do this.

Spotted in a nearby back garden, not especially remarkable but it is in central London. Few houses have their own garden here. It is a little blurry because it was taken at some distance and enlarged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170623_115834.jpg (34.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

It's Friday morning here. My Friday evening displacement activity is grocery shopping with my wife and daughter. It's actually a really fun event, we joke and laugh and have good ol time. That leaves Saturday, hang over free and early, mornings open for leisurely breakfast and work on whatever project (currently back yard fence) is on the go at the time.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

That fox must be feeling safe in London if he napping out in the open like that. It must be a good sign.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

In and happy to be here!!!

LOVE!

K