Notices

Class of June 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
3 Weeks Today, Yay!!!

The heading sounds positive but, I think I had my worst day today.

Feeling very bad- tempered and down in spirits, I think I came the closest to hitting the drink hard, because that is what I always would have done in the past. Haven't been able to concentrate on work and have now given it up as a bad job( 16.34 here in the UK) Went to store and bought tons of sugar stuff and am planning on curling up on sofa and watching loads of c**p TV to take my mind of the "demon" that is drink. It should work, it has been working for last 21 days.

I hope everyone's mood is more positive than mine has been today.

Good luck Junebugs with the battle.

Givingup 54, well done on day 3.
Sorry that you've had a rotten day Culture and awesome job on choosing not to let your mood undo your 3 weeks! The mood will pass, take care of yourself and do what you need to do to stay sober. Well done you!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=FeelingL0st;6514545]Red,
I feel your pain
I have never craved sugar so much in my life.
I got lots of advice here and learned that beer is just sugar as well, so my body wants to replace it with another sugar.
While everyone is losing weight by not drinking, I'm just filling my mouth with chocolate!!!!!
Good luck and let me know what helps you with the sugar cravings when you figure it out[/QUOTE

Maybe you could try having dates, full of sugar but natural.. There is a plant called Gymnema sylvestre which helps with sugar cravings.. I don't know where you live but if can find a herbalist they will be able to get you some, however it may not be suitable as the plant constituents are extracted via alcohol, which is then taken by dropping a couple of drops on the tongue, not a trigger for me at all but cause of the alcohol could be for some alcoholics..however from my understanding it blocks the craving by blocking the receptors.. it's hard to want to take it thou as it lbocks the taste of sugar as well, even the taste or my peppermint or licorice tea..
the plant may come in pill form but I'm unsure of that..
I have togiven work harder at soon as it's just another chain around the ankle..
Old 06-27-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hedd and welcome back Legogirl

great to see so many people into the teens and 20s daycounts
D
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hello Junebugs! Wow, so many new folks - I love it!! Welcome to all!!!

It's day 24 for me coming to a close soon. I've been unable to post the last couple of days as I just didn't have time due to all day trainings at work and lots of other things going on. But the good news is I haven't drank. I've been keeping myself very busy which is helping.

I need to go back and read posts, so many new people here. I can't believe this month is almost to a close. So proud of everyone, the fact that we are all here is a good thing. Hugs to all!
Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me. I haven't thought about my sobriety much in the last few days or checked in here, so tonight I'm going to work on my plan again. I'm pleased that I'm finding it easy to be sober for now, but I don't want to be complacent.

Well done everyone, keep going!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Day 18!
My how time flies when you're clean and sober!!
Have a wonderful, sober day Junebugs
Old 06-28-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by striving4 View Post
Day 10 for me. I haven't thought about my sobriety much in the last few days or checked in here, so tonight I'm going to work on my plan again. I'm pleased that I'm finding it easy to be sober for now, but I don't want to be complacent.

Well done on 10 days.. complacency is too easy to feel when it gets easier.. tonight I watched risky drinking the documentary and there was talk.about moderating..My brain started thinking about it, how I could just save my drinking to occasions when it was a party or a wine tasting etc.. as I'm finding it much easier to not drink as the days roll by.. but then something in my brain came along and said, don't forget what's happened in the past, you will eventually make everything an occasion and be right back tofrom drinking everyday.. we can't afford complacency, it will get us back where we once were..that AV is always lurking around...
Old 06-28-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Optimist4ever57 - with you on day 7, I'm pleased to say.
Best wishes, everybody take good and gentle care xx
So happy to have you by my side, Caramel <3
Old 06-28-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STHATHEMMAD View Post
Hello everyone,
It's day 21 for me. So I am Sober for 3 weeks now.
Feeling very happy.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiegirl View Post
Day 11 almost over - God I had a craving for some wine earlier when I was out for my walk. Came home and decided to clean the oven instead (it was well overdue). So I got over the craving and also used my time productively. That's a big job crossed off my list. If I had been drinking I would have sat down in front of the tv all night and would have been sleeping by now.

That's a big difference for me - When I was drinking I used to go to sleep between 9 and 10pm. Now I am still awake gone past 11 pm. I'm sleeping less but I guess I am getting more quality sleep instead.
Susiegirl ( my kids great- grandmother used to call me Susie :-) ), I am finding the same "energy". By 9, I would be on the sofa zoning out. Lately , I've been doing laundry in the evening. One of my "things" is waking up to an empty kitchen sink, which never happened when I was drinking. Guess what? Going on over a week with a clean sink! It's those little things we didn't see or have the clarity of mind to get done that are making this journey the best!

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by striving4 View Post

Day 10 for me as well! Nice to see someone at the same point in their journey!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Even though I've not been posting, I have been reading this thread and love the support from everyone.

I'm a pretty easygoing person and when "stuff" happens, I chalk it up to life. Whether we're drinking or not, things break, arguments happen and life goes on. The difference is when we're sober, we need to deal with our emotions and the reality of the situation.

Part of the reason I've been inactive is fallout from last week. Monday, on my way into work, I was involved in a 4 car pileup. Dealing with police reports, insurance, repair shops, etc. took up most of 3 days.

By Thursday, as things were settling down, a visit to the ladies room resulted in my phone falling in the toilet ( clean water). Since I was expecting so many calls, I needed to get to the Apple Store asap. I finished up some work and headed out. Not so fast. As I walked down the hall, I stubbed my toe on an edge of carpeting, fell, smashed my face into the carpeting and broke my nose.

Thank God, I was not tempted to drink. I honestly felt I was being tempted/tested last week and I was able to stay strong. It's life, sober or drunk, and I choose to stay sober. I know drinking would have made things so much worse.

Anyway, how do others cope with stuff now that you're not drinking? I know many of you binge on Netflix, any particularly good shows? I like funny stuff. I was watching an old Andy Griffith show last night and realized what a genius comic Don Knotts was. Had me belly laughing with his facial expressions and perfect comic timing.

Before I forget, welcome to all the new class members. This is a great class!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Anyway, how do others cope with stuff now that you're not drinking? I know many of you binge on Netflix, any particularly good shows? I like funny stuff. I was watching an old Andy Griffith show last night and realized what a genius comic Don Knotts was. Had me belly laughing with his facial expressions and perfect comic timing.

Before I forget, welcome to all the new class members. This is a great class!
Hi Optimist! Sounds like things can only go up from here. Here's to better days from here out!

I don't have a Netflix account anymore, but hopefully these shows are still on there. Frasier. Friends. My husband and I also love Andy Griffith and watch it in reruns on television. But one of my all time favorites that I feel sure is probably still on Netflix is a show called "One Tree Hill". It's a show for the younger generation. I'm in my mid 50's and my daughter talked me into watching it. It took two episodes and I was pretty much hooked. Though it's for young people there are enough "adult" stories to keep it interesting and I even got interested in the lives of the young people on the show. It's a drama/comedy and has lots of comedy. I've watched the seasons over and over again and still laugh out loud. You may enjoy it, too! I ordered DVD's of the series and cancelled Netflix because it turned out OTH was all I was watching anymore. There is some sexual content (no nudity, nothing showing anyway) and some language, but nothing too awful.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

After my last post, decided to reopen my Netflix account. Makes the OTH show easier to watch at night to sleep by. Also, if you or anyone here has any good NF recommendations, please share. Tysm!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Today is another day one. I''d like to join you all. I don't know why I thought I could ever drink controllably. I feel like crap today, sick, jittery, light headed.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Today is another day one. I''d like to join you all. I don't know why I thought I could ever drink controllably. I feel like crap today, sick, jittery, light headed.
Been there Behappy. Just a few days ago I was in the exact same boat. Always thinking I can only have a couple, but after a couple days go overboard, yet again. I really feel for what you're going through.

You'll be feeling much better tomorrow. Today rest if you can and do some self-care...eat some good food and get plenty of rest. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Day 11 for me, also payday which is usually a trigger.

I'll admit, I've thought about having a drink but it's quickly been dismissed as I have plans tomorrow and they require me being up early, fresh and after 11 days sober I don't even want to imagine what new hell that hangover would entail.
Feeling happy though and looking forward to my day off.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hey Feelinlost! I'm at day 18 too so I guess we are sober twins! Congratulations on your progress 😊
Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Everyone is going to get those thoughts of drinking early on--it's all in how we react to them. Stick close, post often, get to an AA or other recovery meeting, ask for help, help others, make sure you're not hungry, stay hydrated, take a walk, exercise, shower, nap, watch bad television, do whatever it takes to steer clear of that first drink. The thoughts of drinking are just that--a thought and they will pass no matter how strong they seem as long as we don't feed our addiction that poison it craves.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Day 24 and doing much better today. Hope everyone is feeling/doing great! Or at least ok and sober. That's pretty great right there.