Notices

Good news feel like drinking

Old 05-19-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good news feel like drinking

I just got some good news from the doctor I am a little over 4 1/2 months sober I have really taken my health seriously this year and have lost a lot of weight . A lot of the health issues I worried about I found out today that there's no lasting damage to my organs from my alcoholism.I contribute this to my higher power. But when I got the good news all I could think about was this means I can start drinking again. That feeling stayed strong with me for awhile. anybody ever felt like this? I definitely will not drink I just thought this was strange feeling For great news
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey. Congratulations on 4.5 months sobriety and for the good health news. It's not so unusual to feel like this. "GREAT!! I didn't mess up my body with the drinking so I can go back to drinking again." I've felt that way in the past too. I'd feel so fearful that I really messed it up this time that I'd swear off drinking forever. Only to start drinking once I felt better again.

It's not so unusual and I'm glad that you recognized it for what it is and won't drink over it. No sense in that. Keep going.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes old habits die hard. I don't blame you for the thought entering your mind. The important thing is that alcohol is what got you into that mess, and you've successfully gotten out of it. No need to return to that. Good job on your 4.5 months.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

4.5 months is awesome! I can totally understand wanting to celebrate after receiving great news! But then I think of how horrible I would feel waking up tomorrow morning...
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, I got that condition too ... thankfully I came to the realization that I am different from people that don't have my 'condition'. Most people can have a couple drinks and be ok ... I obsess over just the thought of drinking, and when it goes in, any amount, I'm going down ... face-in-the-pavement down.

And that guy inside ... Will Power ... just goes along with the Self-Will-Run-Riot, unless I got good ole H.P. tapping me and saying ... RED FLAG ALERT.

Thanks for the Heads Up FB

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 05-19-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fatboyanon View Post
I just got some good news from the doctor I am a little over 4 1/2 months sober I have really taken my health seriously this year and have lost a lot of weight . A lot of the health issues I worried about I found out today that there's no lasting damage to my organs from my alcoholism.I contribute this to my higher power. But when I got the good news all I could think about was this means I can start drinking again. That feeling stayed strong with me for awhile. anybody ever felt like this? I definitely will not drink I just thought this was strange feeling For great news
you (and society) have spent a long time conditioning you to believe that good news = celebration and celebration = DRINKING.

crazy, huh?

Here's a great opportunity to begin retraining yourself, rewiring your brain.

Make up a new kind of celebration.

Maybe do a conscious gratitude ritual. Maybe just journal it. Maybe ask a close friend to accompany you to a wide open space and tell them your news and ask them to share in your joy for a moment in honor of your good news and your new path of sobriety. Maybe call three loved ones and share your news and tell them that your new mode of celebration is going to be to share your joy with those you care about, and ask them to hold you in their thoughts in this moment as part of your celebration. Maybe throw a rock of gratitude into a lake. Maybe simply smile and scream out loud THANK YOU!!!!

It matters less WHAT you do, than that you simply do..... something. Respond to this good news - in celebration - but in a new and different way that begins to create a new habit.

And, congratulations.

GOOD NEWS!!!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fatboyanon

Yeah I think most of us have had that experience.

When I got serious about my recovery tho, I really had to challenge those AV ideas.

My health was better because. amongst other things. [U I ]stopped drinking, [/U]

A good report does not mean I'm invulnerable for life now...it just means I was lucky enough to get a second chance after a life of drinking.

I know for a fact if I started drinking again, I'd pick up were I left off, maybe even a little worse...

I'm not sure how much of that punishment my newly replenished mind and body could take.

Don't be taken for a fool - think this one through, and kick that AV in the butt

D
Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When the Universe hands you a huge gift, you don't try to return it for something else.

You know you could have just as easily been here posting about all kinds of bad results and scary followup tests, frightened and furious with yourself, yes?

Is that what you want to play around with?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4.5 months, that is awesome. Keep up the healthy choices, it will keep getting better.