SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Feeling wobbly (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/406469-feeling-wobbly.html)

Stewy84 03-19-2017 01:11 PM

Feeling wobbly

Hey guys,

I feel like drinking, I'm 2.5 years sober, I'm just about to leave my home I share with my girlfriend as things have been rough for a long time, my friend died last month and my 2 uncles in November. Its been a tricky time.

I've been around people drinking today and it's awoken something in me.

Please help me get through the next few hours if anyone can relate?

Caramel 03-19-2017 01:17 PM

I'm sorry things are tough for you at present and sorry for your bereavements.
I hope you won't drink, that you stay authentic and in touch with your feelings, and power on beyond this difficult time.
We're here for you :grouphug:

Caramel 03-19-2017 01:18 PM

And, well-done on 2.5 years!

Steely 03-19-2017 01:19 PM

Yes, I can relate, big time, and moreso, it never works. Ever. :headbange

I resisted a couple of days ago and I can't tell you how good I feel about that decision today. :scoregood

You will feel stronger tomorrow.

Cornbread 03-19-2017 01:21 PM

When I relapsed a few years back I opened myself to another level of hell that I never knew was possible.

One thing I do is play out the entire situation to the end. How will this affect you? What are the ramifications of all of this?

Also, Step 1-3 is incredibly powerful in times like this.

carlingford 03-19-2017 01:21 PM

Hi Strawy, I hear your pain but drinking will not cure it, actually it will make it worse !! I thought I could drink at Christmas and just ended back at square 1, please don't do it, it will pass in a little time !!

Anna 03-19-2017 01:27 PM

Stewy, I'm sorry that you're struggling. I'm kind of glad to hear you're leaving your living situation with your girlfriend, because I know that's been a problem for you for a long time. I hope you will find some peace now.

thomas11 03-19-2017 02:01 PM

Hang in there Stewy.....two and half years is a long time. Sorry you are going through some pain, but you know that drinking will not make it better. Only worse. Can you remove yourself from the situation if need be? Don't drink.

Grymt 03-19-2017 02:18 PM

You've made the right decision to post here. This is what people must do when recognising a risk. Reach out. Confirm a contract to not drink. The next step is to not drink. Don't for any external or internal reasons ever pick up the first drink. It's a win or lose situation. Heaven or hell. Every time you come to the choice choose to not pick up and keep posting, reaching out, feel your feelings and let them go. Once you're through this your sobriety will be much stronger. All this difficulty, pain, and unpleasant sensations are opportunities. Use this difficulty to your advantage. Work through it.

Dee74 03-19-2017 03:47 PM

You did exactly the right thing posting Stewy :)
I'm sorry for your recent losses.

The house and gf thing has been coming for a long time tho - I think, rather than an ending, this may be a new beginning for you Stewy - a good one.

Why screw that up? :)

D

Mattq2 03-19-2017 03:50 PM

You've done so well stewy, don't go back my friend. You know where it leads and it's not worth it.

least 03-19-2017 03:50 PM

I hope you don't drink, no matter what happens. Drinking will only make things worse, never better. :(

2.5 yrs is fantastic! :) Don't throw it away. :hug:

Delizadee 03-19-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6373833)
You did exactly the right thing posting Stewy :)
I'm sorry for your recent losses.

The house and gf thing has been coming for a long time tho - I think, rather than an ending, this may be a new beginning for you Stewy - a good one.

Why screw that up? :)

D

SO many great responses here Stewy, I couldn't have put it any better than what Dee said.

2.5 years is fantastic- think of how awesome you will feel when the grief abates some and you have remained sober throughout.
Drinking will not make any of this feel better, and you know that.

I'd suggest sticking around here and around friends and family who are not drinking at this moment- and far away from those who are.

I am so sorry for all your pain right now. :hug:

Stewy84 03-19-2017 04:09 PM

I'm sorry , I've been drinking, I'm pretty certain that when I wake up for work tomorrow I'll completely regret it. Sorry that I've wasted all your time and effort, 2.5 years down the drain in a couple of hours geez what a guy.

Those who have followed me for a while will know I've had relationship problems for some time and it's finally come to a head today. I'm disappointed in myself.. I'll have to start again tomorrow :(

Stewy84 03-19-2017 05:07 PM

Yep.......can sense the disappointment guys

ScottFromWI 03-19-2017 05:11 PM

Why not start now and dump out the rest stewy? Only bad things will happen if you keep drinking.

Dee74 03-19-2017 05:16 PM

Disappoinment would be a wasted emotion here Stewy - I figure you're plenty disappointed enough

I'd much rather give you good advice that clip you round the ear :)

You don't need to crash and burn - dump whats left , drink some water and start again as you mean to go on tomorrow.

D

Stewy84 03-19-2017 05:18 PM

I've wasted 2.5 years guys.....

All that hard work gone. I'm sad about my girlfriend and splitting up, we were not the right fit but she is not a bad person

Dee74 03-19-2017 05:22 PM

Nonsense. you haven't lost anything you've learned or accomplished.

I'm not going to join the pity party stew - its just your addiction softening you up for more despair and drinking.

Cut it off now Stewy. It's not a road you want to go down again.

D

IN2Q 03-19-2017 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stewy84 (Post 6373955)
Yep.......can sense the disappointment guys

I just started reading this, and I am not disappointed in you, I haven't made it more than 7 days in the last year, you have done near 1000 days. you are my hero! :supernan

It is no reason to :run

Soooo tomorrow you wake up like this :e136: and accept that a mistake was made, but your still here and you know you can do this again, and I will be glad to cheer you on! :e130: