Administrator

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-1-a-20.html

D
Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Meow

Nice comfy new digs. I have snacks. Who brought the sparkling water?

(I think the snot in my head is affecting my brain....)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just glad to be here...
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Purple, I don't have sparkling water but I have V8 berry flavored. Very yummy. And I had goldfish crackers but they're gone. the dog helped.
I had a nice night with my grandson. He is so cute.
I had some thoughts of buying beer on the way home again. Drat it all! I hate that. I am loving the "no, it's not an option" thought that seems to dash cold water all over my AV. I realized I was mostly hungry and tired again. I may need to start having a little snack late afternoon so I'm not so hungry when I leave work. It will have to be something healthy since I do want to get healthy and lose weight.
I am so glad tomorrow is Friday! I hope everyone is doing great. Hugs and sweet dreams to you all.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Sober369, in my part of the world it is Friday - 3 hours before the weekend! But I'll be back at work before you☹️
DAy 5 today! Yeah. I had put off giving up again because I didn't want to start from the beginning again. But actually I'm finding that I'm not starting at the beginning but continuing on my journey. I'm able to use useful tools that I learnt previously much quicker. I'm also able to recognize thought patterns faster such as snapping at the hubby. This morning I was going to say something to him but didn't because I knew where it was coming from.
I'm doing pretty well today but tired and it's snowing again! Just want Spring to arrive.
Hope everyone is doing well. Hang in there and take it minute by minute if needed.
Have a lovely day🤗
Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello. I'm hanging in there. The only thing is i'm hungry all the time...to the point it's all I think about..i've been seriously overeating. Then I feel overly full for a bit then hungry again. I try to distract myself...but it's constantly on my mind.
I feel like i've turned my obsession with drink to food.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats pretty normal for most of us KPF - I reckon I was malnourished by the time I stopped...

things do tend to settle down after a while, or they did for me. Try eating healthily as much as you can.

D
Old 02-16-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Badger- glad to meet you. GO BUCKY!

Sober369- keep fighting those AV thoughts about buying beer. Yuck beer. Just yuck.

SandyO- congrats on day 5. I guess I don't know you're story...sounds like you might be picking up where you recently left off? Glad you seem to be doing good.

Kpforever- yep, even when I was just tapering off I was constantly STARVING..and I'm kind of a fat, old lady so didn't need to over eat. Still better fat and sober!
-----

So ending day 11 here. A friend came over tonight to work on a project with me. Ever the good host, I offered her a glass of wine. It was just so automatic. The only wine I had was left in a bottle i'd opened 12 days ago. I ended up pouring it out 'cause I couldn't imagine it was still good. Now my home is officially alcohol free and I plan on keeping it that way! (Btw, my friend was happy with herbal tea)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I definitely replaced booze with food. I'm struggling now to lose weight but I decided in January this would be the year I did it so I will.

I thought I'd quickly check in this morning. I'm off on holiday tonight. No problems not drinking I have never drank whilst on holiday so there's no temptation. It's still too soon anyway after the last binge for me to be considering it. I think the next danger time will be near my birthday at the end of March.

I'm taking my laptop so will still be coming on here I reckon but my plan is to just switch off and enjoy time with my boys. It's the first time I'll have taken them away on my own.

Have a lovely Friday everyone. xx
Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello all

I managed to make it through last night without drinking. So I'm on Day 2 now. But man, it was so hard. When I got home, there was no electricity. So my plan of making a meal was squashed - plus I was unable to work on the computer (which helps me have distractions). My life pretty much stops moving when we have electricity blackouts - and that's when going to a bar and getting lit up is the most tempting.

I fought it so hard yesterday though. I read a novel in the candlelight and chilled with my cat and her kittens. I got home around 6pm and the electricity came back on around 11pm. I was too tired to cook at that time, so just made a sandwich and went to sleep.

Day 1 is done. Day 2 now
Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
I definitely replaced booze with food. I'm struggling now to lose weight but I decided in January this would be the year I did it so I will.

I thought I'd quickly check in this morning. I'm off on holiday tonight. No problems not drinking I have never drank whilst on holiday so there's no temptation. It's still too soon anyway after the last binge for me to be considering it. I think the next danger time will be near my birthday at the end of March.

I'm taking my laptop so will still be coming on here I reckon but my plan is to just switch off and enjoy time with my boys. It's the first time I'll have taken them away on my own.

Have a lovely Friday everyone. xx
Hope you have a wonderful holiday
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed strong catlover

D
Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi all....Friday winding down....Friday night kicking off here.
Hmmm.
Friend and wife turned up, '....go for a beer?' Ok....here we go. I'm a lime soda, thanks , "what?"....yup. He thought I was joking. But I got a limesoda, we sat around and had a chat. Then it's time to go. They can do that. Have a beer or two, then go. I can't.....it'd kick off the entire weekend for me.

So.....didn't do it. Day 12 tomorrow then.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Hi all....Friday winding down....Friday night kicking off here.
Hmmm.
Friend and wife turned up, '....go for a beer?' Ok....here we go. I'm a lime soda, thanks , "what?"....yup. He thought I was joking. But I got a limesoda, we sat around and had a chat. Then it's time to go. They can do that. Have a beer or two, then go. I can't.....it'd kick off the entire weekend for me.

So.....didn't do it. Day 12 tomorrow then.
Good to see you resisted the urge. That's great.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Night all.

I'm the same as u canguy, one drink and is all over.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That must have been difficult, catlover. There's not a lot we can do theses days without electricity, so it must have been really tempting to have a drink. Well done for resisting.

This is the start of Day 3 for me.

I'm surprised that I've had so few withdrawal symptoms. So far it's only really been stomach cramps. My sleeping is a bit erratic, but better than I expected. No shakes, no chills etc. Considering how much I was drinking, I've been very lucky. Or might all this still be ahead of me?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I suffered in withdrawal and other times not.

I hope you'll be OK Sue

D
Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone...
I've been off of here for a few days. It seems like everyone is doing well. Welcome to the newcomers. This is great support.

I will be away next week visiting friends from college. It should be a nice time. We have not all been together in a while. They know I don't drink so it won't be an issue. They may have a glass of wine or two..then walk away. Like you said, can guy, I could never walk away!!

I will try to check in before i leave...have a ice Friday everyone xo
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
All is Change

Originally Posted by KPForever View Post
....The only thing is i'm hungry all the time...to the point it's all I think about..i've been seriously overeating. Then I feel overly full for a bit then hungry again. I try to distract myself...but it's constantly on my mind....
same. the only thing that really helps me is to have reasonably regular main meals in moderation (low fat and with vegies) and then snack on something really light in between OR what really works : I find something to be busy with. eg before christmas for a couple of months I really got in to building a cinva ram. Cutting and welding steel. Morning til night. That was really good. Over christmas I packed it on again and am just getting busy again. I think that's why even when drinking I had the same weight from late teens til mid forties, always doing something. My old mum's 93 and she's alway said keep yourself busy. In her old peoples home she's known as the perpetual walker.(she doesn't drink, dad did, he died 16 years ago still drinking.) Anyway, do something and the nagging hunger disappears.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been staying hungry too. Trying to eat healthy, I bought a bag of nuts, a bag of oranges and a bunch of Activia, which I hope helps with my constant tummy upset, too. Today is day seven! I'm feeling a lot better.
Great job making it through with no electricity Catlover. I hope it stays on through the weekend, so you can come here. I know how much I need to be able to come here and see how others are making it and how they're doing it, and I don't know how I would manage without that, or AA, or any other support. My heart goes out to you! You must be very committed to staying sober. Very inspiring.
Sue, my withdrawals were pretty light this time. Mostly feeling overall sick, still hungover up until yesterday. I felt feverish one night, but not really bad. I'm just grateful it wasn't worse.
Milly, I totally agree with your assessment on beer. YUCK!! Amazing how I grew to love it when that's all I would allow myself. About three weeks ago, the beer quit working so I bought a bottle of rum. Had to call out sick from work for two days. That was the start of me coming back to sobriety. The beer made me sick, too, but hard liquor hits me like a ton of bricks. I could see the end of me in that bottle. Good thing! So glad to be drinking juice, water and milk. They never get me sick, taste better, too!