Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
BTDT many times. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Stick with us and figure out what you need to do. AA, SMART, CR, AVRT. There are many options and you don't have to go it alone.

And welcome to all who've joined!
I will be looking into these except AA which has frequently turned me off. I am glad it exists and I know people are benefitting from it, but it just didn't jive with me.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mack as long as you never give up, you can never lose

It took me around 15 years to stop drinking...Of course I never knew about SR then so you guys have an advantage

you can do this - keep adding things to your recovery toolbox

D
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
(Well, you already know me ).
Welcome back my darling!
Could not be happier to see you.
You made coming back today so much easier. Thank you for that. I can't express how much that means to me.

...now I need to learn how to make that lovely black heart. ♥
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

^^^ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mack215 View Post
Thank you all who responded! Thoughts and cravings ran through my head, even after an workout that felt very abnormal due to latent effects from the weekend. Such a peculiar thing addiction is.....we burn our hand on a stove and learn to never do it again except the occasional accident. Ive burned myself so many times through drinking yet here i am.....oh society...
We keep being shown (TV, movies etc) all of these people having fun drinking....they rarely show us the pain it can end up causing for so many of us. Sometimes our brains try to make us forget that horrible burning-your-hand sensation. And we do it again.

I did, over and over for a very long time.
We can learn to still that voice that leads us back to the hot stove, and eventually that desire can go away completely.

And that is a wonderful freedom.

So glad you are here mack.
And wow re the workout....that's just so good for us, mind, body and soul.

OK...need to go for a walk now.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Day 5 now sober. I can't remember the last time I was dry for this long. It feels so good to wake up with a clear, alcohol-free head. I have a long way to go but I feel good right now. I am beginning to believe I can beat this thing.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I'm new here. Today is day 1 for me. I've had lots of day 1s over past few months. We can do this!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sobernunn

D
Old 02-21-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi Sobernun.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Day 17 and standing strong.
I am guarding my sobriety like a treasure.
This is my third time, and last.
Good luck to the newcomers. If you fell, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. We can do it! This time we have each other!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sobernunn. Way to go, Catlover.
Happy Tuesday everyone.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Good. What type of cat, CL?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Welcome to HFA and Lillian, too. Nice to see our group growing. See you all tonight! Lots going on for me today, but the important thing is to go to sleep sober tonight. One more sober day coming up!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Good. What type of cat, CL?
I have a tuxedo cat. She's 4 years old. I love her as if she were my child. She currently has a litter - four kittens. There's a funny story regarding them. One night after I came home (drunk as hell ) I immediately went to bed. During the night out, a woman I was dating at the time showed me a picture of a python swallowing a deer. Now, I'm extremely scared of snakes. Like it is a crippling phobia. When I was little and they appeared on the TV, I'd cry my eyes out. As an adult I can't even watch them on the TV, even today. I yell like a kid and turn away - I love watching nature shows, but every time they show snakes, I turn away.

Anyway, the picture my ex showed me became ingrained in my mind that night. When I was sleeping, the kittens jumped on my bed and starting licking my face. Now I know snakes like to lick their prey before devouring them - and as the kittens were licking my face, I was dreaming of a python licking my face. And when I awoke, screaming, I thought the kittens were the python . It was such a relief to see it was nothing but harmless little felines.

Another reason I love cats so much is because they are the nemesis of snakes. My cat has actually caught and killed a few small snakes. When it is rainy season here, there are a lot of snakes as the torrent of water drives them from their underground homes and onto the surface. When it is rainy season and the grass grows to your knees, I never walk around my yard without the cat. She's my protector
Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Hi all, day 7 here. I started reading RR last night and immediately clicked with the first chapter. I think this will be the road that I take. I haven't read a book forever because I don't have the time. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but unless you're actually READING the words I find that a lot gets glossed over. I read EVERY SINGLE word and it really resonated with me.

Nutrition/supplements will also play a big part. I went to the dr about 8 months ago and had about every single blood test known to man done (11 vials of blood!). I was severely lacking in b vitamins, d and my adrenals were shot. This wasn't just because of drinking, it was exhaustion, not eating right etc. I did quit drinking for several months, eating right, felt great but picked it up again. With that came poor eating, missed supplements and feeling like crap again.

Welcome to all of the newbies, kudo's to those who've posted about recent relapses. In the past, I'd just tuck tail and avoid posting for a while. It takes courage, but we've all btdt. Have a great day all! :-)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

BH- pardon my ignorance, what is 'RR'?
CL- good about the cats. I have a great respect for snakes. Being in Aust - that ocean rips and white pointers (and spiders) that is reasonable. My son (who is now a good adult I think, does not talk to me no more, sniff), went thru the pet thing. I had a dog. He had crabs, a bearded dragon- then a children's python. Invariably this 'thing' in it's temp controlled aquarium needed feeding- son got bored- so it was my task. I decided to bite the bullet and handle the bloody thing. I learnt then that they do have fangs. It bit me a drew blood. I would only pick it up wearing welder's gloves. A bit later I liked it so much -I draped it around my neck when doing the house work. Sold it in the end. I will not race off and get another one. Perhaps keep your grass short.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Passed a tough test tonight... the guys I play basketball with, and usually go out with after, asked me to come out tonight. Came home instead. Feel a bit cheated since they are normal drinkers, but it is waaaaay too early for me to be in a bar. So American Ninja Warrior and pizza it is.
Thanks for the welcome, and great job!!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

PhoenixJ - RR is Rational Recovery. You can read about it here on the secular forum for starters. There is also a RR website with info on it.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

thanks