Notices

What is a diagnosis of EU?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is a diagnosis of EU?

I have an appointment with the welfare office later, and they want to know why I haven't worked since March 2016. What I have to show them is my discharge note from the hospital after my best friend died. The diagnoses stated are: EU, BPD, suicidal - death of friend. Any idea what EU is?

Anyway, I've been looking for jobs so I can pay off my student debt and apply for a student line of credit for college. The bank won't give me a line if I don't pay off what I already owe. Besides my poor credit score, I'm going to have trouble explaining on job applications why I can't list my current employer as a reference. I sent my boss an email asking for a reference, explaining that I went to rehab, that I want to go back to school, and my plan going forward, but that I have to pay off my student debt first. He's not replying! I don't know if he's away on vacation or if he's going to be a corporate CEO dick to me for being a total unprofessional, drunken idiot the entire time I was there. The thing is, he knew I had problems before he hired me, and it was just a favor to my dad anyway. I told him that I was depressed over my best friend and that I couldn't deal with it.

I don't understand. He offered to pay my rehab bill and even suggested some nice places, plus he signed me up for drug and dental insurance after I left the company. I'm still on the pay roll, like is he going to be a dick to me now that I want to fix my life? I can't survive probation if I don't list that administrative assistant BS I did for 15 weeks. If I do get his reference, what do I say about having left the company? I took extended bereavement leave/sick leave, and my position was filled?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

EU stands for "Emotionally Unstable" and usually goes along with Personality Disorder written like this: EUPD
Old 01-10-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, that's redundant. Haha thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long has it been since you sent the email? This is an insanely busy time for a lot of businesses.

As for what do you say...you had a health problem that has since resolved.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Can you try calling him? He may have seen the e-mail and meant to get on it, but got pulled into something else and then forgot. From what you said above, he was good to you even knowing what your issues were. I don't see why he would not help you with a reference now. But if you call, then you'll know what he's thinking.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He's not replying! I don't know if he's away on vacation or if he's going to be a corporate CEO dick to me for being a total unprofessional, drunken idiot the entire time I was there. The thing is, he knew I had problems before he hired me, and it was just a favor to my dad anyway. I told him that I was depressed over my best friend and that I couldn't deal with it.
Hello:

You say that you say you were a totally unprofessional drunken idiot the entire time you were there... what kind of reference will he give you?

Then you said that the administrative assistant thing you did was BS... was that your attitude when you were there? If so, what kind of reference will he give you. Do you expect him to lie? He went out of his way as a favor to your dad and that's how you acted.

What are you expecting from this person?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Vulturine,

It doesn't sound like he would be your best option for a reference. Do you still have positive relationships with professors from school who would be willing to write you a reference? Have you done any volunteer work during your recovery that you can request a reference from the coordinator of that program?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Uh, I don't really leave jobs gracefully. I basically trashed the office and walked out on a shift for my first job. Sent a bunch of random keystroke emails to my advisor in uni. Now I have this current boss. I just want him to say I'm on extended sick leave and my position was filled. That's it.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He can't legally fire me because I'm protected under the Ontario Human Rights Act as a person with a disability. So I'm in unemployment limbo forever as far as I can tell.

I just want a job to pay off my debt. They check your credit report and everything now, it's nuts.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd suggest finding other references. Sounds like you burned too many bridges with this person to make it worth his while to give any kind of reference. If you must put your previous employer as a reference just list the general number for the business. They can't share most of what you've shared here when giving a reference anyway so they will most likely just give the legal status of your employment with them.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
Uh, I don't really leave jobs gracefully. I basically trashed the office and walked out on a shift for my first job. Sent a bunch of random keystroke emails to my advisor in uni. Now I have this current boss. I just want him to say I'm on extended sick leave and my position was filled. That's it.
You have got to be kidding me. I hate to say this, but I don't really think you're in a position to dictate what you'd like him to say. Maybe start with a very sincere apology but also tell him you understand if he decides not to play ball in giving you the reference you desire.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It doesn't really matter anymore. The meeting with my social worker left me in a worse place than I was a couple months ago. I'm so screwed.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
It doesn't really matter anymore. The meeting with my social worker left me in a worse place than I was a couple months ago. I'm so screwed.
Be patient. It will all come together. We addicts and alcoholics make all kinds of nutty and insane decisions. I know I've made more than my share. I've also learned that sometimes those bad choices come back to haunt me and I have to learn to deal with them. That's the part I hate most.
The important thing is you're still here. You're learning and growing all the time. Hang in there. It will get better!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you going to meeting of any kind? I've found some people there that can be great references and some that have even helped others get new jobs. Just a thought! Starting over is certainly not easy, and you may not get your dream job right away, but it will be worth it in the long run!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is your social worker able to help with job search?