Notices

OMG so much to share

Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OMG so much to share

Hi all
I know I've been quiet as of late. I wanted to share that I celebrated two years of sobriety from alcohol on January 8th. So that feels good!

In the meantime I've been outpatient for my eating disorder (and feel I've done well on, as well as bipolar disorder).

While I was in the worst of times I put my name on waitlists for inpatient for ED with alcohol as comorbid. The wait list was huge. I got an outpatient slot and I jumped. It has been great for me. Worked great. My goal was to be sober and to be 115 pounds by Christmas. I am 112 pounds and I am sober.

So the next issue. I was offered a spot that just came up inpatient for 90 days not so far from where I live for ED/ comorbid with addiction. I'd have to check in on Sunday. I can manage it with home but not sure about work. I'm not sure what to do because I am working my programs and doing well. But at the same time I'm not going to poo poo a program that could help me long term. I''ve suffered so long with ED I don't know how to say no. Anything that helps I welcome it.
I will miss my kids for 90 days, and I am sorry for the upheaval it may cause my family, but wondering if this is too good to pass up
OR should I stay the course, because I'm home with my kids and I've gained weight and I have stayed sober.
Any advice is welcome
Old 01-10-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! Good to hear from you! I think that you should take the bull by the horns....what's 90 days in the grand scheme of things. The thing of it is...if you knew you DIDN'T need to do inpatient, you wouldn't even consider leaving work or your kids to do so. So, the fact that you are kicking around the idea still...makes me think you know deep down that you do need it. I think you should do it.

Congrats on 2 years sober. Let's get this ED under control, get you healthy and whole! We'll be cheering you on from SR!

XOXOXO,
Bunny
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 years! That is HUGE! And on your weight as well! Nice job!

I think if you're coming here to ask if you need to do the 90 days, then you should probably do the 90 days. We all know how fragile this stuff can be and I would always rather be safe than sorry. I would hope that your work will understand that you're trying to better yourself and end up a healthier, happier, more responsible person, but I would rather lose my job and stay alive than keep my job and potentially relapse. You never know what you could learn in 90 days that could save you one day when you're struggling!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Two years sober is fantastic. Congrats to you.
I've had eating disorders since I was very young. The severity has come and gone over the years. I have not needed treatment in a long time and thought that sobering up might be the end of that problem. But, it hasn't really had any noticeable effect on it.

If you and your therapist think you need to go, you should. My best thoughts your way.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went straight from rehab to ED IP and it's helped me immensely. Getting my ED under control significantly reduced my depression/anxiety and therefore urge to use. I learned a lot about how my ED and my addiction were intertwined. I also work the 12 Steps of ABA (anorexics and bulimics anon)
Best of luck to you. PM me anyime!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know what you should do, but I'm wishing clarity for you to make the right decision lrndly

D
Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although inpatient may be helpful and useful, it seems like you are currently doing well with your weight and eating, and so I am wondering if 90 days inpatient is more than the level of care you need at this time. Outpatient seems to be working for you.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on two years sobriety!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
Although inpatient may be helpful and useful, it seems like you are currently doing well with your weight and eating, and so I am wondering if 90 days inpatient is more than the level of care you need at this time. Outpatient seems to be working for you.
Typically, the program you incorporate in your life is the long term solution. Rehab type programmes don't usually provide a longe term solution, they just give you a good start which you already appear to have.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Irnldy: I suggest you consider the advice of your physician and counselor and follow that. Much depends on how well they think you are doing, how well you can handle a relapse if that should occur (and they do occur- I had several before I straightened out). Sobriety is the precious goal, absolutely necessary for long term survival and happiness for an alcoholic. It is worth any sacrifice- jobs, families, friendships, because without sobriety all these are eventually lost in all likelihood. Congratulations on your success thus far. You seem to be well on your way. Keep posting and every good wish.

Bill
Old 01-11-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your two years. My eating disorder seems to either be caused by or at least let me know the alcohol problem is looming in the distance.

I found rehab to not be very helpful, but therapy was. Everyone responds differently to different modalities however, I think rehab works just while you're there and my kids really suffered without my presence. Maybe something outpatient so you can learn to live your everyday life in a healthy way?

All the best of luck.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies - all of you. I spoke to my outpatient counsellor today, and she seems to feel given how I am currently doing, that this would cause a lot of home upheaval that could be ugly. I am to be clear, completely ok with where I'm at right now, it's just that where I live, getting a non emergency treatment bed is a very rare occurrence. I just wondered if I'd be a fool to pass it by.
As it stands, I think I am going to let the spot go for now. My counsellor told me I can reject spots and then put my name on the waiting lists again, so that should I need a 90 day stint that I will be on lists and not be starting from scratch. I would also be giving up the spot for another human who may need it much much more than I do right now.
Not justification, just a cold analysis of the situation.
Thanks again