Notices

On to day three...

Old 02-12-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On to day three...

Today is day three... Something I'm pretty sure I haven't seen for a year... Wow, it feels quite pathetic to admit that realization,

So I have arrived at day three just in time for the weekend... I assume this shall be a new fresh hell :-). I shall do my best to busy myself.. Errands, workouts, etc. My husband and I have dinner with a few other couples tomorrow and I'm already contemplating my beverage choice... Iced tea or soda. I'm looking forward to offering to be the driver and actually following through with it...

We are also planning to make a Valentine's dinner together as a family on Sunday. The kids had fun planning it out last night.

I haven't actually said out loud to my husband that I'm now on this journey (again). We've discussed it before but he just can't support me in the way that I need. I was tempted last evening to say it but just couldn't. I want to prove it a bit to myself first, and he will undoubtedly see the results, if only through the lack of recycling bin contents and credit card charges.

I do have a friend who has been down this road successfully who I have reached out to and is happy to be an outlet as well. I appreciate have someone that I know with whom I've confided this as I know that she can relate with the struggles and won't judge me. With time I'll open up to more friends.

I've also long suspected that my mother considered herself an alcoholic but I never had the nerve to ask her point blank. I grew up in a house with no alcohol and in recent years as I realized my struggle became more curious. She passed away almost two years ago and I would like to at some point work up the nerve to ask my dad, but I realize that also means admitting the reason for my question. I do know that my dad's father was an alcoholic, something I only learned in the last year.

Anyhow, sorry for the early morning ramblings... So many thoughts spinning around in my slowly clearing head :-). Happy Friday all!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 3. I understand not telling your husband. I've said I'm
Quitting and failed to many times I know that now I just need to prove it. Your Valentine's day sounds great, it will be fun for the kids to participate.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Somehow this time around feels different... I feel more committed and more convinced that my answer needs to be that alcohol is simply off the table for good, period. I'm not good at moderation of things.

Except...I was a heavy smoker (1.5-2 packs a day) til my early twenties. When I "quit" at first it was entirely... Then for a few years Id let myself buy a pack when if go out for the evening.. And throw out the remainder at the end of the night.. Did that for a few years. Then I'd let myself bum them for a few years. Eventually, I completely quit... I guess over the course of probably 7 or 8 years. By the end of all that, I can say that I rarely ever even have a craving.

There's a small part of me that thinks "hey, that could work with drinking too"... But the bigger part of me says "nope.. Don't tempt fate and the slippery slope" and my goal is for that bigger party to continue to prevail.. Period.

I'm confident that with time and separation from alcohol that I will rediscover other means to "relax", "celebrate" and "let lose" that are natural and organic and safe.... Re-establish healthy habits all around, that I so not feel that I must hide from others... Though I'm sure I'm not ding them as well as I'd like to think I am anyhow.

Feels good to be in this mindset for the first time in a long time. :-)
Old 02-12-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three days sober!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing awesome on day 3 keep on keeping on
Old 02-12-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 of the hardest days of all, now under your belt. Well done you and I hope the weekend goes well (and sober!)
xx
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a good attitude and I think it's a good plan to allow your husband to see what's changing. I did the same, after having made promises many times.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats on 3 days!