Notices

It's official, i'm a raging alcoholic :(

Old 02-08-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

It's official, i'm a raging alcoholic :(

I have no idea what to do anymore, I know drinking for hours every day is killing me and I don't feel there is anything I can do about it. I don't know where or how to start.

I wish there was a 'How To Quit Drinking For Good' fail safe scheme...

My heart pounds out of my chest every night as I lay there in a pool of sweat, and that's only the nights I remember going to bed. Most nights I black out. I often wonder if I'll even wake up, or how I've even woken up. I'm killing myself with this, I know I am, but I don't feel like I can stop. I don't know how to stop. My life is falling apart and all I care about is when the next opportunity to drink will be. I've lost my job so this is usually soon as my girlfriend has left for work. I don't even care that I'm living from lie to lie, day to day, just wondering when my savings will run out.

I hate everything about myself, everything!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well IMHO you made a very important first step acknowledging it is a problem and that you want to change that.

There is a fail safe scheme, make a plan reflecting on why we drank in the past and how we could have done things differently, stick to it and these forums, get people in our lives that have been there as they relate and offer a wealth of help, for me these are a couple of the tools I use and it works.

It's not always easy, some great days and some that really push us to the edge, the critical thing is to not pick up as things go down hill from there, eventually we gain tremendous power over our AV, it will always be there however it will not have control unless we give in,

All the best
Andrew
Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My sobriety started with a small moment of clarity. It was enough to get me into the rooms of AA. One day became two - I kept coming back. Very soon I had a week. Another level of clarity. I heard others stories of hopelessness and despair but saw who they were now - amazing, really.
Soon I had a two weeks........

I had to be pretty badly mangled before I'd seek help - that's not a requirement, but pretty common. The rub is people die waiting for that moment. Dig deep, it's there - it's about survival.

You're not alone, friend
Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You start by putting the bottle down. Stop drinking now. Don't get any more. Next time you want to drink, come here instead. Talk about it.

I thought I was a hopeless case for a long time, but I finally stayed sober long enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your username 'Newjourneystart' suggests you do care...as does seeking out a recovery forum and posting. There is a spark of hope and desire there NJS...feed the flame. Wishing you well x
Old 02-08-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

You've taken the first step, acknowledging that the path you're on is a dead end.

Stop drinking. Establish and execute a plan for sobriety, and recovery. Build a support network.

You're not alone. It's your alcoholic voice that wants you to think so.

You can do this. It takes courage to admit alcoholism. It takes strength to defeat it.

You can do it.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NJS. Listen to that voice deep down inside that's telling you it's had enough of this sh*t - then SEEK help. All you need to do is stop drinking and start figuring out how to choose sobriety. Do everything in your power to go to bed sober tonight. Repeat tomorrow. . .

I spent a long time obsessing about my next drink as soon as I woke up each day. I was either severely hungover or severely drunk. That was my daily routine for years and it totally sucked. If I can do it, so can you!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get past this. I know it seems so difficult at the outset, but have faith that you will be able to stop drinking and have the life you want. You do know how to stop. Take action and get rid of the alcohol. You will begin to feel better in a few days.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's a reason why the mantra "one day at a time" exists, for me in the beginning I couldn't manage an hour or two, the holy grail back then was 1 full Day, there are many of us who have been there.

Make a plan, that's the key, continuing to do the same things and expecting different results never worked for me, I needed to get some daily support into my day, change up my habits, really start to make Sobriety happen.

You can do this, but take some action now to change your life for good!!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
p***enger

We're here with you! You can get rid of the monkey on your back -- and your life will get better!

Is there someone in your local area you can contact to help you get started making a plan? Maybe you have an old friend who "mysteriously" stopped drinking a while ago -- that person might understand the problem. Or your local AA intergroup.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

These days I seem to drink and drink beers and I don't get drunk. I've already been to the store to make sure I have some beers in for first thing in the morning. I'm a drunk (I'm quite slim which I'm thankful for) and I can't stop drinking. I live for it and I don't feel that there is anything that I can do.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've already been to the store to make sure I have some beers
I hope you're not driving if you've been drinking.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There isn't, it seems to be different for everybody.

Here's what worked for me. After years of struggling by myself, I found this website, swallowed my pride and admitted I was an alcoholic, and then went to AA. Those events helped me to get, and stay, sober.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your story, my story. I would always stop to get booze to get me through the morning. Im glad you acknowledged the problem. Now you can move forward. Hang in there.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

for me that was
  • stop drinking,
  • make changes,
  • find support,
  • repeat.

It really is possible - you'll get out of your recovery what you put into it, NJS

Do you have a plan at all?

Seeing a Dr might be a first step?

D
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Know that you don't have to face this alone. There is a lot of help available if you ask for it. No one will drag you to sobriety kicking and screaming. You have to walk towards it willingly and challenge yourself. You can do this if you truly want to.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Your story, my story. I would always stop to get booze to get me through the morning. Im glad you acknowledged the problem. Now you can move forward. Hang in there.
Ditto. After I lost my job, I also drank in the morning as soon as my girlfriend left for work. Sometimes I wouldn't even wait until she left, I'd start as soon as she went for her morning shower.

These are tough times and it's hard to see a light ahead. But you CAN change, man. There's a better way to live your life, and many of us here are living proof.

We all had our Day 1. And Day 2. And Day 35. It ain't easy, but it's worth it. Get control of your life back. The only way to regain control is to find a program that will help you quit. I spent the last of my savings on rehab - you might not have the cash but there are tons of free programs, doctors, and clinics that can help you get clean. But they don't come knocking on your door. You've got to find them yourself. Call. Then call back, even go sit in a waiting room.

This is your responsibility. Nobody ever told me that, so I had to wait for an ambulance to come and pick me up after I had seizures. Walking into a detox center under your own power would have been a much better way to start. I highly recommend you do just that.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Put it down. Tell yourself, THIS moment right here, I will be sober. Keep doing that day by day.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewJourneyStart View Post
I have no idea what to do anymore, I know drinking for hours every day is killing me and I don't feel there is anything I can do about it. I don't know where or how to start.

My heart pounds out of my chest every night as I lay there in a pool of sweat, and that's only the nights I remember going to bed. Most nights I black out. I often wonder if I'll even wake up, or how I've even woken up. I'm killing myself with this, I know I am, but I don't feel like I can stop. I don't know how to stop. My life is falling apart and all I care about is when the next opportunity to drink will be. I've lost my job so this is usually soon as my girlfriend has left for work. I don't even care that I'm living from lie to lie, day to day, just wondering when my savings will run out.

I hate everything about myself, everything!
Do you think you may need detox? It would be a really positive and safe first step. You are not alone.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's some useful links NJS pls know by sticking to a plan youl make it some days will be hard but I promise you its worth it do you think I'd stay sober if II thought it wasn't worth it ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html