Notices

Question - cooking with alcohol

Old 11-27-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question - cooking with alcohol

What is the general view on this - binger not dependent also - I wouldn't say it's something I do all the time but for example after pan frying venison I'd make a quick port and red currant sauce - beef stewed in ale - red wine in a bolognese sauce - white wine in some sauces also - you get the idea.

It's not that I would be tempted to finish the remaining leftovers as I can accept that I'm not drinking but I do believe that it does enhance the flavours of some dishes.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think some use cranberry juice or non alcoholic cooking wine .

I try to avoid it completely after having some rum and raisin ice cream a couple of years back that made me really ill .

I had garlic mushroom last year out at a meal and they really spoiled it for me by putting brandy or sherry into the creamy sauce.

I find alcohol in food overpowering and it makes me sick these days .. which is fine by me .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've written a pretty elaborate response to this question a few times. The Cliff Notes version: I still cook with alcohol all the time. It doesn't bother me at all. The majority of the alcohol will cook out but not all of it. Some may be triggered by the smell, the taste or even the small amount of booze. Others may not feel comfortable with the temptation of having it in the house.

There is no single answer for everyone. You have to examine your relationship with drinking and assess the risks for yourself.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The alcohol does not burn off as much as people think

Everybody has to make a personal decision.

I made a decision not to knowingly ingest alcohol, including food.

It seems to sit right with the rest of my outlook and my programme

I don't miss alcohol in food - I feel I can really taste the other flavours now.

D
Old 11-28-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once it is not used in desserts as in cooking once the temperature reaches 37 degrees, the alcohol evaporates, only prob is theres normally some left in the bottle... Dump it or freeze it... Good luck eitherway.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Dee74 10,000 %

I used to cook with alcohol it was here at SR that I stopped using it in my cooking

RedAndy were always cooking, alcohol doesnt makes food taste better its a myth
Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As a self-proclaimed gourmet chef myself I do think that alcohol enhances some dishes, it just does. That said, I tried to continue cooking with alcohol during this process of getting sober and found that having bottles of wine "to cook with" open and around the kitchen were not good for me. I hated admitting I wasn't strong enough, but admitting that has been a good move for me. Unfortunately, if there is alcohol in my house there is a good chance that I will drink it. So no more cooking with alcohol for me.
If out at a restaurant I don't particularly pay attention and don't purposely search out a dish that does not have alcohol. I believe I have consumed food cooked with alcohol and I do not feel tempted under those circumstances. i would not however order a dessert such as tiramisu or a rum laced cake as I can distinctly taste the alcohol and that does trigger me.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is one of those questions that pops up here occasionally that will give you a really divided response. For some, it really isn't a big deal and they are able to o it without any major issues. For others, it becomes a massive trigger that can absolutely derail their sobriety.

I think you really need to evaluate where you are in your sobriety and look at the risks vs. the reward. I know that early on this would have been a major problem for me and I would probably have begun looking for every recipe I knew with some kind of alcohol in it. Today I am much more secure in my sobriety and I wouldn't have an issue using it in my cooking, but, then again, wine wasn't really my problem. Bottom line, you need give yourself every opportunity to make sobriety work and if it means leaving some recipes out for a while then that is not the worst thing in the world.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've gotten fairly buzzed off rum cake. Is there something else flavorful without alcohol you could use as a sub? Maybe you're fine cooking with alcohol but some would not be fine picking it up at the store or having it near them, in early recovery especially.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcohol is part of my old life not part of my new. As with all things in sobriety I play the odds. Having alcohol around and ingesting it just does not sound like a good bet to me
Old 11-28-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brauggi View Post
This is one of those questions that pops up here occasionally that will give you a really divided response. For some, it really isn't a big deal and they are able to o it without any major issues. For others, it becomes a massive trigger that can absolutely derail their sobriety.

I think you really need to evaluate where you are in your sobriety and look at the risks vs. the reward. I know that early on this would have been a major problem for me and I would probably have begun looking for every recipe I knew with some kind of alcohol in it. Today I am much more secure in my sobriety and I wouldn't have an issue using it in my cooking, but, then again, wine wasn't really my problem. Bottom line, you need give yourself every opportunity to make sobriety work and if it means leaving some recipes out for a while then that is not the worst thing in the world.
I think this is a good response, it really is a personal decision and depends a lot on your personal circumstances. I wanted to be able to continue to cook with alcohol but found that I couldn't do it. Some can.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Andy,

First, it's great to see you on SR! This is a great place, full of help and hope.

My response to you is in two parts.

1. Cooking. Beyond what Dee wisely shared above about the retention of alcohol in food, there's the whole issue of alcohol having a place in a part of your world. It means its within your reach. That puts it in your thoughts. And when alcohol is in our thoughts, even if we're questioning whether using it in the kitchen, it threatens our sobriety. We've got alcohol on the mind. Thinking about alcohol is not good for people like us.

The old adage is really true: Out of sight, out of mind.

Take it out of the equation. Doing so allows us to move into the work of recovery unimpeded. There is a whole culinary world out there that doesn't require alcohol as an ingredient. Dive in to those recipes.

2. There's been a pattern in your posts in which you describe yourself as a binger, not dependent. Viewing your problem as one shade or another isn't helpful. When the need to drink creates havoc in our lives, it doesn't matter what shape it takes. In all candor, people who aren't dependent don't need to keep filling the glass. I'm a little concerned that, perhaps subconsciously, you may be couching your addiction in terms that allow you some wiggle room.

There's no wiggle room. We have to take alcohol off the table.

Your desire to change is inspiring -- and completely within your reach. Glad to see you here and ready for sobriety. It's a choice you'll never regret! Welcome!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Hi, Andy,

First, it's great to see you on SR! This is a great place, full of help and hope.

My response to you is in two parts.

1. Cooking. Beyond what Dee wisely shared above about the retention of alcohol in food, there's the whole issue of alcohol having a place in a part of your world. It means its within your reach. That puts it in your thoughts. And when alcohol is in our thoughts, even if we're questioning whether using it in the kitchen, it threatens our sobriety. We've got alcohol on the mind. Thinking about alcohol is not good for people like us.

The old adage is really true: Out of sight, out of mind.

Take it out of the equation. Doing so allows us to move into the work of recovery unimpeded. There is a whole culinary world out there that doesn't require alcohol as an ingredient. Dive in to those recipes.

2. There's been a pattern in your posts in which you describe yourself as a binger, not dependent. Viewing your problem as one shade or another isn't helpful. When the need to drink creates havoc in our lives, it doesn't matter what shape it takes. In all candor, people who aren't dependent don't need to keep filling the glass. I'm a little concerned that, perhaps subconsciously, you may be couching your addiction in terms that allow you some wiggle room.

There's no wiggle room. We have to take alcohol off the table.

Your desire to change is inspiring -- and completely within your reach. Glad to see you here and ready for sobriety. It's a choice you'll never regret! Welcome!
Excellent post
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol in cooking -- I would never recommend it to others.

My wife does most all of the cooking here at home.
I think that occasionally she does add small amounts of wine etc..
But, she never tells me when she uses alcohol for cooking
and I never pick up any trace of the taste or effect.

Would I tell others in Recovery that this is an ok thing to do -- no.
I would never recommend it to others.

MB
Old 11-28-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One of my AA friends used to say early on to me "Don't play on the tracks", and "Watch out for slippery slopes."

I would think the temptation is way too great to cook with it, as well as to even have it in your home.

I've heard that the alcohol cooks out, but I would think just tasting the alcohol, even though it wouldn't trigger the allergy if it's cooked out, would be too tempting. I even wonder if it would be cooked out 100%. If not, you're risking triggering the craving/allergy. (EDIT: I now see from the posts above that alcohol cooking out is a myth. Thanks for posting that chart.)

I don't know if you're into the big book of alcoholics anonymous, but if you are read the page where the paragraph starts with "Suddenly,...." you'll see that many times we don't plan on doing something, and suddenly we are doing it.

I always try to be aware of places that my mind is going to try to rationalize things.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth. To me, it's not worth the risk.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have to say I have not liked "substitutes" for alcohol in cooking. For me, the danger has always been the temptation to drink the leftovers while I cook. I rarely cook with alcohol these days, but I think it is no big deal to have alcohol in food. Whether it cooks off or not, there isn't enough in a dish to feel the effects and get tempted.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys appreciate all the replies and quite a lot of food for though (excuse the pun)

Thanks Venecia - appreciate you pointing that out and understand there is no room for complacency.

Turns out I've done something that is virtually alien to me for simplicity we've bought a meal deal that involves no cooking other than throwing all in the oven - just me and my daughter so decided playing games was more fun than me standing in the kitchen - chicken and ham En croutes which contains cider but means there's no opening of a bottle etc and it's 2.5% of the total dish - I think that's the equivalent of the chef waving the apple past it in all fairness and not going to be tastin anything.

Fully agree that a dessert laced with alcohol would be well off the menu but feel I have the self control in the position I am in to say no if the drop of anything was to go in a dish - thee is a bottle of port in the cupboard but I have no temptation to go anywhere near it at all.