Notices

newby

Old 11-16-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newby

Hi All,
I feel anxious and am into day 4 of sobriety after many failed attempts and empty promises to friends and family - i have medication that will make me really very ill if I drink which although extreme is a good deterrent for me and my personality - I am looking for support and this seems to be a great forum for me reading all your posts so decided to join ....... i have a constant headache and husband hardly can look at me but I dont blame him after the years of torture I have put him through... I just hope its not too late and I havent done any serious damage to my body/liver but I can just live in hope - thank you for allowing me to join and for all the inspirational yet honest posts - I hope to become a regular on here
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sue 4 days in here also..
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi welcome to the group
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Sue!

Four days is a good start and it can get a lot better if you stick around. This is a great place for information and support and you can learn what works best for you to keep you on the road to a new and sober life.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you

Thank you guys for your messages of support - I think am gonna listen to a hypno session on youtube tonight and lay on bed and relax thats after I have done all my tasks - feeling really tired from no sleep but think this will get easier as time goes on..... I am also very hormonal which doesnt help right now but I will get over that.... I pray I beat this horrible evil self destructive disease once and for all but again I need to learn how to rebuild my life without a drink and I for one think this is going to be hard thing to do - cant even think about going out with friends and being the only one not drinking but then it is early days.... does anyone have any tips on taking small steps to rebuild without drink which has ruled my life for the last 12 years??
Loving this forum already and blabberring on but feel the need too as you all understand on here xxx
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sue, four days is great. We have all had a day four, and we know it is not easy. The first week for me was the hardest. It does get better. I am glad you have joined us on this sober journey. I have never woke up, not one time and said,
" I wish I had got drunk last night. " Being sober is a wonderful gift to give yourself. We have a lot of support tools here on SR. Be sure and check out the 24 hour check in thread. There is a November 2015 class you can join with others that have quit this month. We also have two online meetings. Tuesday and Friday at 9 pm Eastern. When I first stopped drinking I spent so much time here. There is a chat room and it is open 24-7 . The board are a great place to read and post. As you explore this site, you will find lots of really nice stuff. Welcome again.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi SueOc,

Four days is great - first keep telling yourself you ARE NOT GOING TO DRINK. that's the most important thing. For the headaches (I had them for a few weeks) there are these cold strips you can put on your forehead that really work. You'll find them in a CVS or local drug store.
Then it's just pushing through the first few weeks. You might think you'll never stop thinking about drinking. But you will - you'll go first minutes, then hours then even a whole day You just need to really think of enough things so that even when you think about taking that first drink you'll stop yourself. Look up AVRT and read about it - think about going to AA read recovery books, immerse yourself in your recovery.

You are a non-drinker. You don't drink anymore - you can't control it - it controls you so therefore you just don't drink anymore.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Coming here and posting before you pick up a drink is a great idea, I did that in the past and it got me through,then last week I went on a 2 day binge when I should have posted here before hand...
Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sue!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sue
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sue, and congratulations on four days of sobriety.

Glad you found us.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SueOc View Post
tonight and lay on bed and relax thats after I have done all my tasks - feeling really tired from no sleep but think this will get easier as time goes on..... does anyone have any tips on taking small steps to rebuild without drink which has ruled my life for the last 12 years??
The "feeling really tired" is really a blessing in disguise. Going to bed early at night, taking naps, and getting into a new routine to replace the drinking is a good strategy: reading/watching movies/etc. vs. guzzling down alcohol. And yes, it will most definitely get easier, but the early days are tough.

Keep repeating positive thoughts to yourself throughout the day (Whatever happens I will not drink, etc.) This probably will be the most difficult challenge of your life, but also the most rewarding.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sue!!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi welcome Sue. You can do this. Make sure to get a plan in place. The antabuse is good to get you going in the right direction, but in my opinion you really must find a system of support to help you grow into your new, sober self. One day you won't need the medication anymore, you will be happy and solid in your recovery. You can do this! We are all here to support you along the way.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all

I am actually taken aback at how much support you all are giving me being a newby
I feel really lucky to have found this site/forum and its great to hear from everyone - I dont know why but wasnt expecting any messages just hoped really anyway day 5 tomorrow for me which is the longest I have gone without a drink for the last 10 years so am going to keep myself busy all day - thank you all once again for a very warm easy welcome xxx
Old 11-16-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sue - good to have you with us

D
Old 11-16-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a quote : today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Sue,
Welcome! Four days of sobriety is awesome. This is a wonderful place for support and information. SR has helped me a lot. Best wishes.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sitting quietly / meditation - self hypno is a good practice. Stills the bouncing mind I have found.

Glad you're here, sounds like you're sick and tired - I was to!