Notices

Stay Sober This Weekend Aug21st until

Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh I wasn't actually thinking about drinking, just got that feeling. I know I'm not one of those casual drinkers, and most likely never will be. I calm myself down pretty quick by thinking the same sorts of thoughts you do, Melina. I play the tape backwards and forward and backward and realize it just wouldn't be worth it.

I was the same, Ruby - at a dinner party or in any situation where sharing a bottle of wine, I'd get nervous I wouldn't get "enough." How sad and desperate. I'd make sure to get a couple drinks under my belt before social occasions. I didn't go as far as carrying a flask, but thought about it sometimes.

I'm learning I can have as much or more fun in social situations without drinking. It's just that when I see people doing things like visiting wineries or going to wine bars, both things I loved to do, that those things are off the table now. Because what's the point of going to a winery now?? Or this last weekend when my guy friend and I found a really cool tavern that had about two dozen really interesting craft tap beers. I used to like getting flights of beers and tasting a bunch of different ones. Of course that civilized activity would quickly turn into having several full-sized glasses of beer. Not civilized any more. I wasn't tempted, just momentarily sad. My guy friend is a great person to have around at those times. He says he'd never forgive himself if I relapsed on his watch, so he distracts me and tells me how proud he is of me. Plus he's funny and entertaining enough that I have fun anyway.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

So much to think about in what you all said. Melina I think it's great that you got through that and 86'd the av. Congrats on 86 days.

MLD, ouch. The memories of the wine bottle at the table and anxiety of getting my share. I'm glad that you stayed strong. I see funky taverns and feel wistful sometimes. The area we vacationed at was dotted with wineries. It's just a different reality to adjust to. Mecanix has it right. Rotten grape juice.

I had a hummingbird visit while I was sitting here. Impossible little things. Time to get rolling to get to work. Vacation is over. Bummer. See you all later
Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Good morning weekend rogues!
I love these intimate discussions that we have in between weekends. Reminders of why we don't drink. Reinforcing what an excellent decision it is that we quit drinking. How we just were NOT"normal" drinkers. Why we must continue to abstain. How much better our lives are now. How we are doing this together.
This is what keeps me going. We can pat ourselves on the back with pride.

Last edited by happyandfree; 08-25-2015 at 05:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-25-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

HAF - you are right on about all of that.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Mornin' Miscreants...

Welp, I'm saving all kinda Money by not flying back to China where I did some Biz. The Air 'round here is every bit as crappy as the worst Air there. Surreal. The Fires West/NW of us are the cause, and my Sinuses are sure the worse for it. A non-issue vs. losing a House out there, or Forests. Or, Animal Habitat...

Whatever Internal Light Switch made me lust for me Drinking flipped off, so to speak. I was doing things last week, like being out by a Lake by Oh Dark Thirty, or starting a Campfire before Dawn. Even if my motivation was to finally have some quiet before the 4 yappy Broads camping adjacent got up and starting talking nonstop. So many words. So much time...

Da Wife stills acts - or did - as though hitting one of many local Wineries is still an option. My strategy is to wait until the actual pending 'opportunity' arises, and then spell out why it's not an option. Plenty of times, it just never actually comes up. I'm sure I'm sending out Vibes Of Deep Disinterest. This Mule's hind Leg Brakes then set firm, cuz there just ain't no way itza happenin'. I'm confident she got way bent with various Gal Palz last week while Solo, and that's a great outlet strategy for us both. I just don't have any 'Jones' left for Drinking. It went the way of Nursing Home Sex Drive.

So, with a blood red/orange smokey Sunrise happenin' right now, I wish a Torqued-up Tuesday to all!

Check out this opening Camera Pan Shot from The Stone Age...

- 'Colours' ~ Donovan ~ Live -
Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Today will be fun. I'm babysitting for a treatment friend. Two girls, ages 8 & 9. She lost them while she was an active heroin addict, just got them back last week. They were living with her parents, but social services was involved and it was a nightmare to get them back. So happy for her. Never thought I'd be friends with a heroin addict, but there it is. I always thought people who did hard drugs were losers - but going through treatment taught me that nice, normal people get caught up in addiction and that I'm in no position to judge. I was just as messed up doing legal drinking. It's not the substance that matters.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Just had a job interview at a large, multinational company. I arrived at 10:10 for a 10:30 appointment. They brought me in at 10:15 and were firing questions at me until almost 11. Unfortunately Paddy arrived halfway through and began asking questions about my CV. I became tongue-tied as I had already discussed it with the others! Really, I thought it was unprofessional for such a huge organisation. He should have been there from the beginning.

Still, I've come a long way. I remember there was a time when I was too afraid to send out C.V.s

If I get it: great!

Even if I don't get it: it will be fine. I wanted to go to Philadelphia for a holiday anyway
Old 08-25-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Great attitude, Tetra! Interviews are scary. Sounds like you did great!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hi all,

We are nearly at the midweek hump!

Best of luck with job interview process Tetra. Putting yourself out there means you are getting stronger. Well done!!

Interesting discussion on envy of "normal" drinkers - whatever that means. Although I am sure we all get the envy, the fear of missing out. I think we spend a lot of our lives thinking about ourselves in terms of the things that we don't have or are not doing. I know I sure as hell do!!! Maybe we could ask what those material objects/things/activities that we fear we are missing says about how are lives are now.

So for me, when I have that envious thought of wanting to be able to to drink normally, am I actually asking for the uncomfortable feelings of anxiety or boredom to be sedated? Maybe I need to get more connected with these feelings?

Well, just my pre mid-week hump two cents!!!

Will check in later, ye mighty band of vagabounds, miscreants, and rogues!!!

B
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Miscreants! I love that Mesa. Thanks for the smile.

I'm back at work. HaF, you summed up how I feel about this thread. The interim, intimate discussions during the lull. That's where I like to be.

Behan, I know we liked to borrow trouble while we were still drinking. Getting in touch with those feelings of why I would risk so much to squash the emptiness is important to me.

Slowly I step towards the light.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Interesting discussion on envy of "normal" drinkers - whatever that means. Although I am sure we all get the envy, the fear of missing out. I think we spend a lot of our lives thinking about ourselves in terms of the things that we don't have or are not doing. I know I sure as hell do!!! Maybe we could ask what those material objects/things/activities that we fear we are missing says about how are lives are now. So for me, when I have that envious thought of wanting to be able to to drink normally, am I actually asking for the uncomfortable feelings of anxiety or boredom to be sedated? Maybe I need to get more connected with these feelings? B
Yes, I try to dig deeper when I have those feelings. Why do I feel that way? What am I afraid of missing out on, and why? What's missing in ME that I feel the need to be included in social activities that involve drinking? What other things can I do to feel fulfilled? I've come up with a few answers, but it's a process.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

You know, it is a process. There are days where I see people drinking, or hear them say they need a drink and I feel sorry that they want to numb themselves. I count that as progress. How is the babysitting going?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Oh it's going well. They are playing with the wii. Such cute kids. Nice to have some younger ones around.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good morning fellow miscreants! . That's my new favorite word! Ha!

Everyone sounds so good today!

I couldn't sleep last night. Lots of anxiety over little things that don't seem to enter my head during daylight hours. Everything's always worse at night. Feeling better this morning just a little zombie-like.

Are there any tea people here ?? Looking for a new green tea to try.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Have you ever tried white tea? It's my new fave.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope those forest fires don't come any closer Mesa. I read that some relief for western USA might be on the way in the form of El Nino which will bring much needed rain.

We have the opposite problem here, it has rained here for most of the last two days and more is forecast

Good luck with the job Tetra, my fingers are crossed

Twinings Green Tea for me, online prices much better than supermarkets
Old 08-25-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

My wife and I are currently drinking chamomile,

I hardly ate yesterday and the tea sort of hit hard after 2 cups and some passion flower, made me overly sleepy but thats a good thing right?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Happy that I didn't sit in my basement last night and swill a pint of vodka down.
this site is a godsend. Thank you all!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for the suggestions y'all! I haven't tried white tea but its going on the list, so is the Twinings green tea! And Chamomile is definitely a staple around here.

Cinnamon bagel with peanut butter and some of those gigantic grapes for lunch.
Looking at some rain clouds in the distance...willing them to move a little closer and help us out here.

Sounds like a mess where you are Sao. Hope you dont float away!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Elizabeth....I'm really happy, too!