Notices

I am so tiredcof being addicted!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am so tiredcof being addicted!

I have finally realized I have an addiction problem period! At first I quit an18 yr smoking habit. Then I had a gastric bypass to escape a lifelong addiction to food. Now its alcohol. My entire dad and his side are alcohics which im sure doesn't help. But omg do I really have a chance.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oops guess I should of spell checked. Lol
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have an excellent chance chloe - you've already beaten two addictions

Alcohols not a necessity at all - you can live quite happily without it...in fact I vastly prefer my life this way

what have you been doing to try and stay sober?

D
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting but not sure what else to do. My new job has me working all 3 shiftson weekends. On call during week. Im the kinda person who need familiar people but hard with my shifts.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My company has a policy but im not sure I should take advantage cuz I just started. I can have a certain time off every week for addictions.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might worth looking into to see if you're eligible?

D
Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi chloebaby, yes you can do! You recognised a problem, now the next step. Don't take a drink!

I drank for years, steadily worse until I was beginning to hide it. I stopped and, yes, there were cravings and anxieties but one of my worst days sober wasn't has bad as the hangovers from hell, I had.

I stuck with sr as I can come here anytime of the day and night, there's always help if you need it but also, there are a lot of people's experiences to learn from. It helped for me, knowing I wasn't alone with this problem.

Yes, too my dads side were alcoholic s, I remember my dad giving me whisky when I was five!

Give it a go, give it a go, have you got to lose?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have more than a chance. You have a choice.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Any reason you can't go to midweek meetings if you're working at the weekend?

http://www.windsoraa.org/meetings.htm

The "Yeah, buts...." are a sign that your Alcoholic Voice is in fine form. Tell it to "shhhh" and get back for more meetings. If you get a sponsor sooner rather than later, they will be able to explain how to make AA and the steps part of your daily life, so that you can work on keeping your perspective adjusted to 'recovery'.

If you can't get to face to face meetings for a few days - then you could use an online meeting resource. There are also lots of speaker recordings you can listen to, and AA literature you can immerse yourself in, but face-to-face meetings will be the most helpful, and most areas have them 7 days a week within easy driving distance. If you can't get there because you don't drive and there is no public transport, it's okay to phone the meeting contact and ask if anyone is driving to the meeting from your area who wouldn't mind giving you a lift. They will be glad to help.

I don't think there is any reasons to bring your employer into this or use it as a bartering tool to get shifts changed. If you want to change shifts, that's a different issue altogether. You can just ask them (and be prepared for a no but hope for a yes. If they ask for reasons you can just say "It's a personal matter" You don't own them more than that. And they are entitled to refuse.)

I have discussed AA with my boss, but I already knew her well, and could predict that she would be supportive. If I was in a new job, with new people, I'd exercise extreme caution. I have felt 'dishonest' keeping things back from people, but was told by many old timers that this is a programme of SELF-honesty. We need to protect our sobriety, and problems with work and bosses and our reputations do nothing but threaten our sobriety. Please keep yourself safe.

Good luck
Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Chloe, alcohol doesn't have to be a part of your life, you can part ways with it and write a new Sober happier chapter to your life!!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're still above ground.....you have a great chance. Welcome.