Notices

I knew it!

Old 07-04-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I knew it!

Since I have about as much trust in our healthcare system as I do a 3 year old with a machine gun, I knew the prescription thing was going to eventually raise a red flag. My suspicions were warranted today.

Saw the surgeon yesterday, he wrote me a script. Went to fill it yesterday and they said I had to wait until today because I had one filled 2 weeks ago blah blah blah. Wife goes today and they say they can't refill it until some other day. Wife being the bulldog that she is tells them that is unacceptable. This prescription is per the surgeons direct order. Pharmacy guy says he needs to make a call because a lot of narcotics have been filled in the last 5 weeks. Pharmacy guy calls my surgeon (on a national Holiday mind you) and proceeds to get an earful. Surgeon basically told him "I rebuilt BOTH of this guys knees from scratch, he HAS TO HAVE his pain management schedule followed. I'm currently taking only 60% of what they had me on at the hospital and these damn pharmacies have to get in the middle. Health care is no longer dictated by the folks who went to medical school, its by the pharmacies and insurance companies. I hate it.
Also, still hankering for a drink, but not as bad. It is what it is, deal with it Jeff. And what do you know, today or tomorrow is 40 days. Did I think I could do it....hell no.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It blows my mind sometimes how procedure can get in the way of healthcare.

I remember when my dad was on a repeat prescription for a serious amount of blood pressure tablets and every 2 weeks the pharmacy needed a phone call to reorder the prescription in advance prior to them issuing the tablets, despite a consultant writing on his file that he was going to need these tablets for the rest of his life as his blood pressure was through the roof, and then if they weren't called the tablets couldn't be collected despite missing a daily dose bing dangerous!!

Anyways, good to hear it got sorted out Jeff, and great job on Day 40!!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that the medication is between you and your dr. The pharmacist is merely the person filling the order from the dr. When my mother was dying from lung cancer, my father had to fight with the pharmacist, who would only give him a certain amount of pain-killers. This meant my elderly and exhausted father had to be driving to the pharmacy on a daily basis for weeks.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pharmacies are a joke! My father has heart issues, so he's taken beta blockers for the past...30 years? I can't tell you how many hoops he had to jump through to get the pharmacist to fill his script when they changed his meds. For beta blockers! It's so frustrating. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'm glad you guys straightened it out, though.

Congrats on 40 days! That's so awesome. Keep hangin' in there
Old 07-04-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Anna, very sorry to hear about that. It should not be that way. And yet it is.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm really happy you got it sorted and that you are not drinking. I'm sure it is frustrating, but you handled it really well, Jeff.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The rampant fraud and abuse is heavily monitored by the Drug enforcement agency = DEA. They do weekly reviews of pharmacies - Walgreen's, CVS's and independents nationwide.

There is an epidemic in scripts like never before. A lot of it is medical weight loss clinics are a huge part of the problem.

Regardless, if a pharmacist and the store they work out of has filled what appears to be out of the norm in a particular time frame the get a lot of DEA pressure and review. The Pharmacist does not have to fill any script he does not want to - it's his license at risk, period.

Plus Minnesota is a police state in regulatory terms. Legislation is being considered in your state that will only allow a person to purchase x amount of alcohol in a given period.

They are watching..........
Old 07-04-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

One of my best friends is a pharmacist. It takes many years of training to become one. I believe it is a 6 year college curriculum, highly focused on chemistry. He is highly professional, but his job is to do just that. Check for and double check what physicians are prescribing. He is constantly having to call on doctors who prescribed the wrong med or he sees that it may not interact correctly with other meds prescribed.

In a lot of cases, physicians really don't understand interactions between combined chemicals. He is not being difficult, it may be frustrating to you, but a lot of this is mandated by law, and his name and license are on the line if he sees something that is out of the ordinary and does not act up on it.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
The rampant fraud and abuse is heavily monitored by the Drug enforcement agency = DEA. They do weekly reviews of pharmacies - Walgreen's, CVS's and independents nationwide.

There is an epidemic in scripts like never before. A lot of it is medical weight loss clinics are a huge part of the problem.

Regardless, if a pharmacist and the store they work out of has filled what appears to be out of the norm in a particular time frame the get a lot of DEA pressure and review. The Pharmacist does not have to fill any script he does not want to - it's his license at risk, period.

Plus Minnesota is a police state in regulatory terms. Legislation is being considered in your state that will only allow a person to purchase x amount of alcohol in a given period.

They are watching..........
I have no doubt they are watching. How do you know this?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
In a lot of cases, physicians really don't understand interactions between combined chemicals. He is not being difficult, it may be frustrating to you, but a lot of this is mandated by law, and his name and license are on the line if he sees something that is out of the ordinary and does not act up on it.
I have a problem with this. I understand the narcotics are heavily scrutinized. But What good is the doctor if the pharmacist contradicts "doctors orders". If the pharmacist is the one who has the last word on the medication being dished out, what good is the doctor?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I get my script filled for T3's for my knee pain I have to show ID and sign a form every time. But I didn't when I was getting morphine for my 10 year old son after he got a second degree burn? Morphine for a child no problem. T3's for an adult I get my identity checked. I don't get it?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
If the pharmacist is the one who has the last word on the medication being dished out, what good is the doctor?
From what I know, the doctor always has the last word. The pharmacist job is similar to a building inspector and to bring up potential abnormalities to the attention of the doc. There are plenty of wacky doctors out there. Im talking about the guy who who actually reviews the script, not the clerk who is filling out the bottle with pills.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey tomdecel, I'm guessing there are check and balances in place in the software that flags when a certain amount of certain drugs are dispensed to an individual. Thus the pharmacist is doing his job. Also, doctors have hundreds if not thousands of patients and are human, so I'm sure make mistakes.
But as you mention, the docs must have the last say because when they contacted my surgeon, it was a non-issue and put in the notes of my account. If I go to pick up meds, they will be dispensed until the 3 month mark, then it will be reviewed. I don't plan on being on them for 3 months anyway. I'm hoping to start tapering this week. I was primarily concerned because I heard going cold turkey on opiates an be pretty unpleasant.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You have no control over the pharmacy or doctor or their seemingly stupid and contradictory regulations, so don't let it dwell in your head for too long. Glad you got it straightened out and glad you're not drinking today.

Mostly though, I want to say congrats on 40 days! That is very inspiring, Jeff. Very proud of you.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you had to go through this. The doctor does have the last say, but the doctors and pharmacists are under intense scrutiny. The surgeon has a set amount of time he will give pain pills, start weaning them, and if they keep asking and there is no indication that anything went wrong with the infection, he refers them to pain management and mentions the law that changed last year.

My dr. says it's because of all the pill mills and we've had several shut down in GA.

Again, I'm sorry this happened but it's happening everywhere.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm glad your doc read 'em the riot act!