Notices

Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July 4th

Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Talking Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July 4th

Welcome to a special edition of the weekender as America celebrates Independence Day.

If you are actively drinking please make this your Independence Day. You can live sober! You have the power to stop and stay stopped. You don't have to drink again and you never need to change your mind.

Let's get our celebration kicked off with a bang!

What are you doing. Doing nothing is doing something. The early days may require a quiet holiday. Absolutely no shame in that. But share your plans either way and tell us as we head towards a sober Monday.

Me? Well glad you asked! Packing up a small lunch for myself. Charcoal in tow and heading to Two Lights state park for a BBQ on the water. Just me and if I can scrounge anyone up. Gonna go see the fireworks on the Eastern Promenade. Going to my first SMART meeting tomorrow. Sticking close to this winning team of sobrietists!!!!!

*Ring Ring*

What does it mean? In the words of Mecanix...

“The first bell is the bell of mindfulness, calling to me and you.

It says stop what am i doing right now, take some breaths, feel my body, am I holding it tight and tense? Relax… calm down… life is a journey and not a destination, make the journey as glorious as possible.

The second bell is the freedom bell and I'm ringing it for you to let you know freedom from drink and drugs is available to you, come and hear us calling out to you.”

Happy SOBER 4th of July everyone!!!!

K

Old 07-01-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Del-la ... Del-la ... Del-la!!!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yay, Della!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have Thursday-Sun off. It will probably be quiet but I do want to go see Spy. Looking forward to being fully aware and feeling good on this holiday weekend.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I couldn't have done it without my friends and that extra second.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Della!!

Happily reporting in for a fantastic weekend on the sober bus!!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay Della!

As I said on the last thread, it is a weird holiday for an English woman in the USA. You would be amazed how many people ask "what do you mean, you don't have July 4th in the UK?".

Depending on the weather I may wander out somewhere. But I will be alone, might see if I can find some friends to bother.

Only got a few hours sleep as we were having insane storms at 1am - the kind where the lightning is so close, you hear the buzzing of the lightning before the thunder.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lol yeah I am sure there is a big celebration in the UK.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So I had a terrible dream. A nightmare even... I was back working for my old company. All the amenities I have now are gone...like the gym, professional chefs cooking lunch, lots of vacation time, and having to work... GULP... work until 5 PM everyday! Sheer PANIC I tell you.

Woke super grateful today. This is probably the FIRST time in my life I can see the good for the good and value what I allow it to add. I do see people at work scoff at things. I am like ok... not this guy!

Be grateful today. Even if today is day one there is much joy in being sober. Much.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, had an awkward moment last night - when out with my friend she was talking about a friend she is worried about, as she thinks he boyfriend is abusive...as she is talking I stop her and look on my match account - sure enough, he has been messaging me (a lot about honesty and integrity), I was suspicious and thought he was arrogant, so never agreed on a date - thank God! I screenshot the messages, so the girl can be warned. Seriously people, dating needs a health warning!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK... Rain off and on ALL day but not that bad... Movie day!

* I'll see you in my dreams
** Spy
*** Terminator
**** Magic Mike

I am afraid a single guy at Magic Mike might seem a little to Pee Wee Herman so thats out.

Terminator got horrible reviews and I don't prefer to see a cheater on screen as if he has any character at all.

Spy looks good but....

It will be I'll see you in my dreams. Sam Elliot has not lost a thing and Blythe Danner is amazing. Yeah... tearing up at a rainy afternoon movie. I am suck a sucker for sappy sometimes.

K
Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

IN!

While I enjoy the holiday, every day is Independence Day since I started living a sober life.

Have a GREAT ONE y'all!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Congrats Della, on achieving shotgun. A sash, tiara and speech are called for

LA, apparently some people have forgotten the origins of "Independence Day." Safety is important on the dating front.

My holiday so far appears to be low key. Fireworks on the 3rd. I have a long weekend with Friday off. Don't know what I'll do on the actual 4th. Maybe more fireworks. My mother in law appears to be staying with us for the entirety. She lives fairly close but near downtown and crazy central. Should be interesting. Or maddening. She hired a piano tuner to come into my house without first consulting me as to whether that was OK.

Kids have a zoo field trip with camp today. So now I must get their lunches prepared and find their camp tee shirts.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ruby - good luck with the mother-in-law, they are always special in one way or another!

I agree on the safety thing, although may have broken some rules with Mr. Fireman. But taking it pretty slowly, and he is respecting me and my speed. I really have not actually dated much, as most men turn out to be idiots long before I even consider meeting! I wish there was some kind of sign that said "you two are made for each other" and then you are automatically at the relationship stage without the awkward dating stage!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LA, I always launched into relationships without really dating and that sometimes backfires, big time. I'm not good at the whole dating thing and now I've had no practice in over a decade.

I will take advantage of my mother in laws presence to attend some AA meetings that I generally miss because I don't have childcare.
  # 17 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm in for a sober 4th!

LA...women have been wishing for that sign for centuries!

More later....must find coffee....
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Shotgun!!!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

another low key weekend here. Mrs B is working all weekend except we are going to James Taylor concert tomorrow. I may make an appearance at my sister's bbq. Keep on working on the yard of course, I've been putting off buying materials for a walk way. Yesterday we stopped and looked at waterfalls and fountains and birdbaths... yeah neat stuff - except I'm not putting money into something fancy if I want to un;oad this place - money down the drain. But a cheap birdbath surrounded by plants/flowers would be nice...
I may go fishing - fly fishing for trout. Very nice stream not too far away. Catch and release. It'll be a challenge. Small dry flies...
Old 07-01-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Watching and hearing the rain pound down. Staying sober for the next 24 - and able to think a bit clearer each day. Thank you all for being here.