Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-25-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Checking in day #22. Made it through my third weekend and I am feeling very confident. 1 June I will be starting working on a healthier diet and doing more frequent exercise. At this point I am a weekend warrior on the Bicycle.

Good luck to all for the week ahead.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Wow..I just slept for over 8 hours! I am now enjoying this rainy morning with a cup of coffee. First thing I did when I woke up was to make a commitment to not drink today and then visualize what kind of person I wanted to be. For some reason, I love to self-sabotage my efforts as soon as I start making real progress. It has been very frustrating to say the least. Now, I need to plan some activities with the kids for today.

Have great sober days!
Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Day 5 in the books for me have a great holiday everyone!
Old 05-25-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hugsandcupcakes View Post
What are some of everyone's goals for the summer? I think that for me I do well when I have something I'm working towards. My goals are to take dance classes and get better at running!
My goals, in order of priority, are:
Stay sober for the entire summer season (haven't done that in 30-some years)
Lose 30 pounds by August 21 (final weight 168, down ten already).
Get a new job and get out of Wisconsin
Get physically fit by exercising at least 20 minutes 4 days per week.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
nmd

I think I'm at day 8, so I crossed the 1 week line

Yesterday was busy one, I planted the veggie garden and with help from my neighbors put the pool up. The kids will be home today so they will be excited.

I don't think I ever properly introduced myself to this class. Nmd just means no more drinking, kind of the first thing that came to my mind.when I registered. My avatar is the dog Doug from Up, being distracted by a squirrel. If that were me in the past, he would be distracted by a beer.

I'm 40 with 3 young sons , my girlfriend has an 17y/o son. The kids are usually with us half the time if not more. We have a dog, a cat, a couple rabbits, and chickens. I obviously like doing stuff outdoors with all the gardening and camping. I work in IT, but l want to retire far away from computers.

I was an everyday drinker, averaging up to a six pack a day. I might manage a little as two beers on a busy week night, then binge all weekend. I don't miss it at all.

I want to repair the pool deck and get the filter outside today. Back to work tomorrow. Have a great one class!
Old 05-25-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DariaM View Post
I don't think I've ever had more than 5 drinks. I'd be passed out waaay before I could get to 10. lol. Usually by 4-5 I'm done.
I remember when I moved overseas and started hanging out in the expat bars (and expats are largely professional drinkers). The waitresses and bartenders would quietly say they liked me because I only had 2-3 and then went home. It was only a few months later they were handing me bills with 14 beers on them. "Not bad for 11 hours," I would think. (Wow, 11 hours on a bar stool, what and exciting life.)

So, while I maintained at normal levels for years, eventually the brakes came off. The main thing, thought, is that even at normal levels, I knew I didn't have a normal relationship with alcohol. I thought about it too much. It always changed my moods, energy levels, and cognitive abilities for the worse. They wasn't the amount I drank; it was how it effected my life and how I thought about it.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning Class of May 2015! Start of day 18 here. I wanted to sleep in a little more as I ended up not going to bed until around 2:15 this morning but we're in the middle of a crazy storm right now and the thunder booming woke me up. According to the internet, this storm is moving fast and it'll be bright and sunny within a couple of hours but right now the wind is howling, the rain is pouring down in sheets, and it's near constant thunder. There's supposedly marble-sized hail somewhere in the vicinity though thank goodness not around my house right now.

Gotta go into the new job this afternoon. I think I'm just doing paperwork and maybe watching some kind of orientation video or something as it's only supposed to take an hour and a half or so. Only other definite plans I have for today is I have to help my dad move a couch at some point. They bought a new living room set and he wants to get the old furniture ready for Goodwill to pick up tomorrow.

I'm sure the rest of my day will involve lots of visits here. Should cross the 600 post threshold sometime today. Watch out Dee!

Jimuk -- I'd never heard of a duck race before. Googled it and, yep, it's exactly what it sounds like. Some people will use any excuse to drink, eh? So glad you've found us and have a different plan for today. Please check in often.

Freedom1982 -- you feeling OK after the bike crash? Congrats on day 21!

jazzfish -- I'm also working on getting into a regular morning meditation routine. So far, it's working wonders. And 10 pounds down is amazing. So glad you're here!

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
So, while I maintained at normal levels for years, eventually the brakes came off. The main thing, thought, is that even at normal levels, I knew I didn't have a normal relationship with alcohol. I thought about it too much. It always changed my moods, energy levels, and cognitive abilities for the worse. They wasn't the amount I drank; it was how it effected my life and how I thought about it.
And I'm quoting this because I want to remember it. Describes my drinking to a T. It's ridiculous the amount of time I put into just thinking about and planning my drinking.

Odisnow -- day 5! Wow!

nmd -- I still have to scream "squirrel" every time I see one. Congrats on passing the one week mark!

Whole lot of folks didn't check in here yesterday. Hope everyone had a safe and sober weekend and checks in soon! I love this class and as always want to thank each and every one of you for my sobriety this morning.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi all, I am 'only' on day 2 but I am not drinking alcohol today so I am going to check in. I have been reading this thread for a while and was a bit envious that I was not in the class. Maybe June I thought. Nope it is May 2015 for me.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'd like to join you. I had my last drinking in the wee morning hours yesterday, so I'm calling today day 1.
I journaled yesterday so I can look back and see how horrible I was feeling yesterday. And wrote down a new plan of what I can do to keep myself sober for good this time. SR definitely seems a big piece to my plan but I know I am going to have to try some new things also. I'm feeling optimistic at the moment, I hope it will last.
Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by donone View Post
Hi all, I am 'only' on day 2 but I am not drinking alcohol today so I am going to check in. I have been reading this thread for a while and was a bit envious that I was not in the class. Maybe June I thought. Nope it is May 2015 for me.
So glad you decided to join us, donone! We've got a great class going here and you just made it even better.

And there's no "only". Two days is amazing! All we have is today and you're here and sober for it.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Hi all! I'd like to join you. I had my last drinking in the wee morning hours yesterday, so I'm calling today day 1.
I journaled yesterday so I can look back and see how horrible I was feeling yesterday. And wrote down a new plan of what I can do to keep myself sober for good this time. SR definitely seems a big piece to my plan but I know I am going to have to try some new things also. I'm feeling optimistic at the moment, I hope it will last.
Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Welcome ChickChick to the Class of May 2015! Sounds like you're on the right path. What new things are you going to do this time?

I also am journaling every day. That journal combined with my posts here on SR is a great way for me to remember where I was at and what I'm doing on a daily basis to change myself for the better.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hugsandcupcakes View Post
What are some of everyone's goals for the summer? I think that for me I do well when I have something I'm working towards. My goals are to take dance classes and get better at running!
I am trying to do a yoga class at the local community college. I figure that might be better than a yoga studio full of experts. It is cheaper too.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
(Wow, 11 hours on a bar stool, what and exciting life.)
Right? Sounds like football Sunday around here a few years ago. That tapered off this year because we got NFL ticked at our house last season (for the purpose of cutting out $200 bar tabs every week...ya think that would have been a clue that there was a problem?). I got to the point where I dreaded Sundays because I knew I would be stuck in a dark dreary bar even though it was a beautiful October day outside. In my head that's where I had to be for drinking mass quantities to be acceptable.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Did I do that?? I think you may be crediting me for the sober memory and I'm not sure I said that, though I did ask for details.
Yes Cissy - you little scamp It was your interest and the support of this "team" that helped me put a frame around my new memory. When I think that I have a numerator of 6 days sober divided by 25+ years of problem drinking, then I definitely want to "re-decorate" with something new to reference. I don't want to take yesterday for granted or as good enough. I want that to be my new baseline. I have a very concrete picture of what sobriety now looks like. I would not have connected those dots without you guys.

Your new place sounds like a very sound and safe next step. I'm excited for you! But have no idea about posting pics. Notice I don't even have an avatar thingie.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning everybody! I keep thinking it is Sunday instead of Monday. Being off work for 4 days messes with my head.

Today we will be taking the baby duck to its new home at the duck rescue place. He has been in the bathtub all night and he chirps off and on. I guess he takes naps because he is quiet sometimes. We got him a stuffed to duck to replicate his mama duck. I think it helped soothe him a little bit because he cuddles up with it. I will be happy once he is safe with some new duck friends.

Other than that not a lot planned for today.

Friends invited us over for a BBQ later. She said "there will be hardly any drinking". Wth does that mean? I had to laugh a little bit. What everyone has a one drink maximum?

Either way, I don't know if I will go. They are the kind of people that I can really only be around when I am drunk, otherwise they are a little too loud for me. And she will wanna hang out in her hot tub with music blasting. Also not something I enjoy sober. But she will be upset if I don't go so I might just go for an hour or so and play with her baby so she doesn't think I hate her.

Hope everyone has a great day! I will check in later.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
Today we will be taking the baby duck to its new home at the duck rescue place. He has been in the bathtub all night and he chirps off and on. I guess he takes naps because he is quiet sometimes. We got him a stuffed to duck to replicate his mama duck. I think it helped soothe him a little bit because he cuddles up with it. I will be happy once he is safe with some new duck friends.
First, that image of the baby duck cuddling up with a stuffed duck is unbelievable cute sounding. Second, you might think about keeping the duck and training it for duck races. I blame/thank Jimuk for sending me down the duck race internet wormhole this morning. Though it seems duck races are usually raced with rubber duckies, you could train your duck to be real, real still on top while quietly paddling its feet underwater. You'd never lose!

Good plan to hang with the baby if you do go to that BBQ. But don't let yourself feel pressured. Nothing wrong with saying no if you need to do so to protect your sobriety.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hello ChickChick and donone - Welcome!
Allie - glad your duck is finding a home I totally get the bbq invite - I have drinking neighbors that I didn't have to deal with this weekend. But, will have to in the near future. Play with the baby for a set time and leave sounds like a legit concrete plan to me. Loud music would wreck my nerves and definitely trigger me to drink to soothe them. Be careful, but it seems like you know what you are doing
Old 05-25-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Checking in, just 2 hours away from day 26.

So much for toning down the exercise - did 16km of jogging & speed walking, over 4 hours, after work. Kind of concerned I might be substituting booze with the highs from both the endorphins, and from seeing my body fat shrink more and more away (I'm not far now from being technically underweight, down from overweight on New Years, and bloated partly because of fluid retention. Well happy with how I'm looking, though still feel a desire to get rid of every last bit of body fat, and then start building some muscle to replace it).

But overall still doing pretty good, it's a full schedule at work this week, and there's nothing to do in Thoeng at nights anyway, so it's a straight shot till the end of the month.

Not feeling tired anymore - though that may well be the endorphins!

Tomorrow, going to tone it down for real this time - only 5km run in the early morning - then in the evening a slow 5km walk there and back to the temple just outside of town, to make merit and spend an hour meditating at.

Keep going everyone - the end of the month's less than a week away now xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 18: A mile a shot

Thread #3...dayum

For the first time I forgot what day of sobriety it was; busy holiday weekend. A tad more mellow than yesterday b/c I got the 7 mile run in. I used to reward myself with one unit of vodka (1 1/2 oz) for every mile I ran. My justification was that I was burning up that shot of liquor with a mile. Problem was by the end I could not average 10 miles a day seven days/week and it didn't really help my brain after the two hours post-run, cuz I got antsy anyway.

Now I run to stave off jitters and angst, and don't drink for the same reason.

Good luck to all.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Part 3! Wow! This class is really gaining some momentum!

Starting day 17 now. Very vivid dreams last night but at least they weren't drinking-related this time.

No big plans for today. Looks like the cool, windy, rainy weather is gone and summer is really starting here. Might try to go find a pool to lay next to and read for a while this afternoon I've got some chicken marinating in the fridge right now so going to fix a nice lunch first. Two of my favorite television shows--Silicon Valley and Game of Thrones on tonight.

I'm still feeling really good about my sobriety right now. Haven't had any major urges/cravings in four or five days and haven't even really had much in the way of minor thoughts either. I like the direction my life is headed in right now and feel confident that I'm on the right path and have a good support system and plan in place if those urges do return. Once again, thanks to each and every one of you for helping to keep me sober!

FarToGo -- welcome to the Class of May 2015! The classes are just a good way to talk with and learn from others who are basically at the same stage of recovery as you are. We've got a great group here and I'm so happy you've joined us. Please post often!

JL2014--Sorry you drank but glad you're right back in. Dee's right--a plan will help. What did you not do before you drank that you can do different this time? We're here for you, buddy. I know you got that bad news at work last week, but drinking at the problem isn't the answer, as you well know.

nmd--a vegetable garden sounds wonderful. There's nothing more satisfying than making a meal with something you've grown yourself. Yet another reason I need to move soon--I need a place where I can have a garden.

bdj--congrats on day 20! That's huge!

anattaboy--glad you decided to join us in the Class of May 2015! I'd give that bottle of booze to the drain of your sink. Sinks need lots of hydration and don't have livers that can be ruined by moonshine. I'm sorry if you've addressed this in another post and I missed it, but does your wife want to sober up? Be careful tying your own sobriety to someone else's, even if that someone else is your wife.

Dee74--thanks for the new thread and also thanks for that link to that plan document. I'm sure I've seen you post links to it a million times (or maybe one hundred thousand, if I want to be realistic) before but I don't guess I'd ever actually read it. I've got it bookmarked now.

Hi to odisnow and Freedom1982 and AllieKat and Jimuk and jazzfish and anyone else I missed who posted since I last did.
Thanks and hi to you too, sounds like you are doing really well.
Me too ..... 8 weeks today! I' m so pleased, this is the longest I've ever done.