Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-28-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tunes, Lunar.

How did you imbed the videos in the post?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3118917
Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Last edited by TENtx; 05-28-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: It worked! Thanks, Dee.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by AGAGONNHOJ View Post

Though it was a bit funny to note that several of the locals, despite having lived around Buddhism their entire lives, didn't seem to recognise walking-meditation when they saw it. When they were talking about me, indeed, I overheard the word "Maow" ("Drunk").

Upon which, I turned my head calmly over and said "Mai. Pom Tham Samadhi" ("Nope - I'm doing meditation"). Judging by the sounds they made, they knew what was up, and if they could have turned red, they probably would have done it!)
What a hilarious story! Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by AGAGONNHOJ View Post
Here's to 3 more sober days - less than 72 hours to go until a completed class - and then a good start to the Class of June 2015!
Hope you're going to stick with us in the Class of May when it moves over to the daily support forum on June 1!

Though I'll probably stick my head in the June thread some as well. Much like Incontrol15 from the April thread has done for us. His encouragement set a great example for me in the first few days. Speaking of, haven't seen him in here in a few days.

Lazy rainy night here with a little bit of thunder every now and then. I've got all the windows up, house smells like rain. Just watched the second-to-last episode of Bloodline. I don't usually watch more than one episode in a row of any show, but I have to see what happens next now. Great great original show on Netflix that I highly recommend. Though it does have a decent amount of drinking scenes and some other drug usage if seeing those things can be a trigger for you. Never really has been for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for mentioning the move Casey

at the end of the month this class thread will stay together but it will move to the Daily Support Forum so that a new Class of June can start in this main Newcomers forum.

I'll leave a redirect link so hopefully noone will get lost

D
Old 05-28-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
I heard someone say "it's not the elephants that get me, it's the ants."
I love this quote, thank you for sharing it.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Unfortunately Dee, since this is not my first rodeo here at SR I know all too well about the class forum move. Good news is this is the last move I'll be making as drinking is off the table for me. I grow more and more confident in this fact every day.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Today I was messaging with a friend and gave her some advice that applies to all of us too. I was talking to her about how hard it is to eat healthy (she is really bad at it) and that it really is a step by step process as in eliminate one thing at a time until eventually you don't eat bad stuff anymore. (I am a really healthy eater most of the time...not as much for the first few weeks of sobriety but getting back into it this week.)
Anyway, I was telling her that the first thing she needs to do is take a look at the drinks she is drinking. She said she drinks at least one diet coke every day and usually 2 cups of coffee with creamer and stevia.
I told her that she needs to stop the soda and learn to drink coffee without creamer and sweetener and it will make a world of difference. And she said "But that just isn't the same."
Sorry this is a pretty long intro to my point.

I said "yes you're right. It ISN'T the same. If it was the same then nobody would be unhealthy would they? It is learned behavior just like anything else. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to. You just have to accept that it isn't the same and learn to do something differently because it will benefit you so much in the long run."

On my way home from work, I realized that the same applies to all of us and drinking. I taught myself to eat completely differently than I used to, I taught myself to like vegetables, I taught myself to drink black coffee and I feel better about myself because of all of those things.

I can learn to live without alcohol! We all can.
Motivation
Dedication
Determination

I think I just wrote my signature.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

I love our Mayberry! Thanks for all the good bits of wisdom, great sayings that stick to your ribs and for the equally enjoyable music videos. (I couldn't get through the cats under the stars one though.)

This isn't my favorite song but I always love hearing it, which isn't nearly often enough. Here it is.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by segCurly View Post
I love this quote, thank you for sharing it.
Hey, segCurly, how are you doing today?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

I haven't had a chance to catch up with all the posts but I wanted to check in one last time before bed. I have to say that I'm grateful for this class. There is so much strength to draw from as we all learn to warrior on sober.

I'm beyond convinced that this is the time I will turn a sobriety attempt into a long term life full of joy, experiences, and personal growth. I have a long way to go but sitting here in bed, about to curl up with a book before embarking on a peaceful night's sleep, I am content and resolved in my decision to never drink again.

I really look forward to marching ahead with you all. I wish you all a wonderful sober night/morning.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Checking in from oz, day 4 for me right now, just finished a 6km run and feel great, though very tired. Yesterday was a bit weird, felt like crying all the time, over silly things. Was reading my son a story, it was a bit sad, nothing over the top, started crying. My friend was telling me how her son got in trouble at school, started crying. I mean REALLY!! What is that all about.
Love that song Tentx, awesome.
Have a great holiday Casey, soak up some sun for me, it's getting cold here!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Goodnight Cooper, loving your attitude, you sound so positive that this is your time, enjoy your book, that is one thing I'm really enjoying too, curling up in bead with a good book!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thank you Chanty! Didn't realize you were on the other side of the world. So glad you checked in and congrats on day 4.

Heading to bed early tonight. Hope everyone has a wonderful and sober rest of their night. Grateful to be in a much better place and state of mind than I was just three weeks ago. Thanks to each and every one of you for helping me stay sober today!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Day 7! Honestly, could probably put 100 more "!" on that because I wasn't at all sure I would ever see a full week through when I started this process. Tonight I had a date night picnic with my husband - he drank wine, I didn't. I still haven't told him my decision to quit for good. I will. Eventually. Somebody mentioned earlier that I might be holding back as way to have an "out". That comment has really stuck with me and made me think. As the days tick by, I am feeling stronger - I hope I'll be strong enough to share my decision with friends and family soon. For now, I'm grateful for the support I'm getting here - and for all the people who share their quotes and stories and experience and pain and triumph and, most of all, commitment to staying healthy and sober. I feel understood here.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Casey thats why it takes me half the day to catch up on all the posts that have happened while I'm sleeping!
Congrats segCurly, 7 days is awesome!!! I have to believe I can do that too, I have doubts like you did, but this gives me inspiration! I also haven't told my husband I quit. It was my daughters birthday the other day, he said shall we open a bottle to celebrate, I said you can, I don't want a drink. He called me boring. I think he will struggle with the idea when I do tell him. At the moment I am sticking with the health kick. He doesn't believe I have a problem.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hey SandyO, nice to have you here. We are so in the same boat. I've been trying to give up for years. Please stick around and keep posting. I'm only on day 4 so not so far in front of you. I lived in Japan for a little while. Would love to go back and re visit. Good luck with Day 1, first of many
Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Goodnight, or good day! Whichever applies to you. Hey! I meant to ask where to find that free Sober Revolution book download. I googled but it took me to various things that I didn't want or need. Would really like to read it and add it to my arsenal.

I bookmarked that thing that keeps getting posted as a link, to come up with a plan for sobriety but it seems so daunting. I haven't read it yet. I'm a little ADD and a slow reader so sometimes things put me off just by their sheer size. Maybe one or two of you can give me a synopsis and I can just cut to the heart of the matter and make my plan.

Off to bed now. It's a lovely cool evening and the humidity has dropped way down. Going to sleep like a baby. Hope to sell my white water kayak tomorrow. If not to this woman, I'll be selling it during June. I bought it for the person I've not quite become yet. I will be one day, though.

Sweet dreams and peace to all. ((((Hugs))))
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Cissy, I downloaded it from amazon, around $5 I think, well worth it. Sweet dreams.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcome. It's only halfway through the day here but I am posting my plan. I want to keep posting to keep the dialogue open and think about everyone's posts during the day. Luckily I have a busy work schedule today. After work I will invest in some very yummy and expensive apple cider to begin with. I've invited a friend and her baby over tonight then I have to pick my husband up about 10 or 11 in the evening. That should be day 1 sorted. Any other good tips out there for day 1?