Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone.
It seems there are a few familiar faces around here from October. I was sober from October to February and have been trying to get a good hold on starting over since.
Welcome to the newbies!
I made it home from my Mom's today without stopping for beer no problem. I did look in the car to see if there was a cigarette for me to smoke on the way home. I am so very glad there wasn't because smoking often triggers AV. So really it was pretty stupid of me to look for a smoke. I'll have to be more careful about that craving for a while too.
All in all its been a really good day though.
I think I will brush my teeth and head to bed early just because I can.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Day one...I am just tired of who I have become. For the longest time I have been using my social life as an excuse not to quit...but let's get real...What social life? I am too busy hiding behind a bottle and when I am not doing that I am too sick to do anything else. But today I choose to change my life, my health, not to hide, not to over think it, and to know that while I might not feel that okay today...one day I will and it will be great...one day at a time.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome meggie

D
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
Dr. Pepper is the best. Last night I wanted one so bad I went to the gas station to find a caffeine free Dr. Pepper. They didn't have any but I did get Dr. Pepper flavored licorice.
I don't usually keep sodas around the house but the Dr Pepper 12 packs with the real cane sugar were on sale a few days ago at my regular grocery store and I couldn't resist. As I've said before, I'm trying not to be too hard on myself for what I eat or drink at this point. I'll be past the 30 day mark by the time I get back from vacation at the end of next week so will start setting some boundaries then.

Not sure if I want to try Dr Pepper licorice as I'm not a big licorice fan. But as a kid I used to love Dr Pepper flavored gum. It had this gooey liquid center that was like Dr Pepper x1000. I don't think they've made that gum in many years. There was an A&W Root Beer one by the same company.

Eliasson and Chanty and ChickChick--so glad you all checked in!

Chanty, I haven't heard of The Sober Revolution but it looks interesting. Give us a review when you're done please.

ChickChick, I am still not sure how I never picked up the cigarette habit but I am so thankful I didn't. Both of my parents and most of my grandparents and aunts and uncles smoked like chimneys, as did most of my drinking buddies. Glad you've recognized that as a trigger.

Speaking of diet, I am jonesing for some chocolate now and have none in the house. How did I let this happen? Hmm, to go buy chocolate or not to go buy chocolate? That is the question...

...and I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Last edited by CaseyW; 05-26-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Missed ChickChick's check-in while I was typing this originally!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Meggie15, welcome to SR and to the Class of May 2015! So glad you've made the decision to stay sober with us. Please post often!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hi Meggie, I'm with you on changing my life. I'm on day 2 for I don't know how many times. There are so many people on here that have succeeded so lets take inspiration from them.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Is anyone else watching America's Got Talent? I love it.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Checking in one last time to catch up on the posts and say "sweet dreams." I'm so happy to see that we've grown by a few more! I knew if I dangled that end-of-the-month carrot I'd get a few to bite. We really are a great group and I would hate to have to start over in another class. That should keep me on the straight and narrow.

I've gotten a lot more house cleaning done today so I'm digging myself out once and for all. I am amazed how far I let things go. It's truly something to be ashamed of, but I know it's cause of the booze. All I really cared about was drinking and putting everything off until tomorrow. As we all know, tomorrow never comes. And because drunks are also recluses, nobody ever really sees what's going on behind our closed doors. (I'm single, living with a dog.)

Anyway, I hope and pray that I never go down that road again. I know where it leads and it's never a good trip. I may have some pleasurable moments as I'm driving but somehow I always end up lost, with a flat tire or in the gutter of life. Only AAA can't help you. Gotta call AA!!! LMAO.

Okay. Off to bed now. I slept like absolute CRAP last night so tonight I'm not setting any alarms. Going to sleep as long as I can. Wish me luck. Peace and happiness all around. I love our May family. May flowers for sure. Hey! April showers bring May flowers. That's what I'm calling us from now on.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Day 5! Made it through the weekend. I thought that would be the hardest part, but it turns out my entire being believes I need a glass (or three) of wine as a reward for working all day today. This minute - this is the hardest part.

I also felt like every aisle at the grocery store was bookended in alcohol when I went shopping today. I'd never noticed before. Still, I'm hanging in there. Tomorrow will be the real test - dinner out with an old friend. I don't think I have been out for dinner without drinking since my son was born 10 years ago!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I know this may come as a shock, but it turns out chocolate was indeed the answer. Though I did just buy the tiny 4-oz serving so as not to go overboard. It was just what I needed!

Cissy--thanks for checking in. Congrats on your progress on your cleaning. I've got to give my house a good going-over before hitting the road on Saturday. My bathroom in particular is in rough shape.

I'm also a fan of the Mayflower moniker! Good luck with your sleep tonight.

Originally Posted by segCurly View Post
I also felt like every aisle at the grocery store was bookended in alcohol when I went shopping today. I'd never noticed before. Still, I'm hanging in there. Tomorrow will be the real test - dinner out with an old friend. I don't think I have been out for dinner without drinking since my son was born 10 years ago!
I have been steering way clear of the beer/wine aisles at my usual grocery store this time, though like you said you can't avoid it entirely as they have little displays of wine set up here and there and everywhere throughout the store. But I've still been successful at staying away from the main aisles. Until just now when I went to address my chocolate addiction. They were putting in new shelving in their wine department so there were literally MOUNTAINS of wine bottles scattered everywhere, including the ice cream aisle.

Good luck with your dinner. Is this a friend who will respect your sobriety? If not, do you really have to go?

Please please please post thru the cravings if you need to. Every minute if necessary! Don't let your addiction fool you. Think thru that drink to the next one to the next one to whatever follows to how you're going to feel in the morning.

AllieK--not much of a TV competition show kind of guy. Though I did used to sit at bars with my equally drunk friends and make fun of American Idol. We all thought we were way wittier than we probably were.

My friends, I'm heading to bed. Thanks to each and every one of you who posted in here today. You helped keep me sober one more day!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Please please please post thru the cravings if you need to. Every minute if necessary! Don't let your addiction fool you. Think thru that drink to the next one to the next one to whatever follows to how you're going to feel in the morning.
So this is me posting through a craving. A really big hairy one. If it weren't so late, I'd go for a run. I'm scared to go into the kitchen because I'm not sure I'll be able to come out again without a glass of wine. I'm trying to think ahead to my 2am self. The self that wakes up hating on the bad choices and then can't get back to sleep. I would really like to make it to day 6.

I've been reading through these forums. So many posters with months and years of this under their belts. You are all so incredibly strong. Thank you for being here and sharing that strength.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you checked out this link segcurly?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by segCurly View Post
So this is me posting through a craving. A really big hairy one. If it weren't so late, I'd go for a run. I'm scared to go into the kitchen because I'm not sure I'll be able to come out again without a glass of wine. I'm trying to think ahead to my 2am self. The self that wakes up hating on the bad choices and then can't get back to sleep. I would really like to make it to day 6.

I've been reading through these forums. So many posters with months and years of this under their belts. You are all so incredibly strong. Thank you for being here and sharing that strength.
Couldn't quite fall asleep yet so decided to check in.

The craving is just that--a craving. It has no real power so has to resort to begging you. It'll pass eventually. You don't have to take that first drink no matter what your addiction is telling you. You're doing the right thing coming in here and talking about it. You're doing the right thing thinking thru to that 2 am hurt and shame. We've all been there and done that a thousand times before. That's your past, doesn't have to be your future anymore. You deserve better. Keep reading, keep posting, stay out of the kitchen, you can do this! So proud of you for coming in here! You're on the right path.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thank you cissy, jimuk, Casey and real E.
Good thoughts carried me. Couple of good ideas to especially drink $ onto a credit card.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Checking in for day 24. May you all have an awesome day
Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Putting ideas onto the board !!!
Never finished a college degree, am now looking at trying to find the cheapest bible college just to get a bachelors degree in something. It's been a personal goal stuffed way back behind "life at large". May not get me a better job, but it's just an idea. My mind is opening up to possibilities, of a life without hangover fog/nausea .
God I want that
Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Morning all, quick check in before work. Welcome to the new peeps.

Hope you're all well! Have a great sober time wherever you are.
Jim x
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I replaced beer cans with a diet soda I love, with the last few $$ for the next 2-3 weeks, slammed 2 this evening. Also got on treadmill first time in a while.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
nmd

just a quick check in, day 10 for me.

congrats tentx on your sober weekend!

Thanks casey and site for the well wishes
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
nmd

casey - my favorite ben and jerries flavor of all time is coffee coffee buzz buzz buzz. It feeds my caffeine and chocolate addiction. I miss the old b&j scoop shops, we had one locally that closed probably 20 years ago. The single serves at the super market do look good though, mmmmm