Notices

Down to a 6 pack a day..

Old 08-23-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mr X

Down to a 6 pack a day..

For years I was at 10-12 Beers a day. I'm currently down to a six pack, my goal is 3-4 a day, however I was just wondering:

Is 6 beers a day really all that bad?

I've always showed up for work, no domestic probs, no drinking-driving, etc. I just happen to be a guy that likes to watch TV after work, surf the net, and kill some beer on a daily basis sitting on the couch.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

...singing my song!

...as it was told to me -- if you are asking about it, it may be a problem.

Health wise, yes -- it'll probably kill you sooner than not drinking would.

Is 6 beers a day a problem? I don't have that answer, that's up to you. For ME, one beer is a problem. One leads to 2, 6, 12, 18 -- but that's just me.

I always showed up for work, no DUIs, good family, etc. BUT -- I could not control my drinking once I started AND I could not stay quit when I quit.

Not sure what others will write, but the "is it really all that bad" question needs to be answered by you.

Ken
Old 08-23-2004, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, You sound pretty in control of it, which is good, but is that just to justify something you're not really happy with? your call.

What sort of beer? Falling down beer, or girly light beer? I suppoe that makes a difference. 6 pints of 'old original' down at my local would have written me off... ahh, those were the days. Sigh.

Anyway, take care and be happy with your drinking , or do something about it if you're not. If it's the latter, there are loads of folk here who can lend an ear, shoulder, but rarely a liver - so look after yours!

Deg.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mr X, I wonder if there is an answer to your question in your own post? " Is 6 beers all that bad?" You have come here and that is a great start! Lots of knowledge and support here. I see you have set a goal - and goals are good... I used to be a 12 to 20 beer a day person for many years and I would do like you and try to set a target on a certain amount to cut down. Sure, I would get down to maybe a six pack once in a while, only to creep right back up to where I was before. That is what led me to find help in AA. You might want to decide that if it is necessary for you to set a goal only to cut down; is 6 beers all that bad? Best of luck Mr. X...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr X

I drink 3 Becks a night, along with 3 Bud-Lites (3.88% in that I think, low).... Before that I drank about 6 Becks, and maybe 4 Bud Ice, or Icehouses on top of it, a total of 10-12 a day. This was 6 months ago, since then I've weened down to my present count of 3 Becks/3 Bud's on the work nights. On Saturday night I probably kill about 8. No Liquor at all unless it's a holiday. I'm mainly a Beer man....Stopped smoking last November too...Not a complete success however because now I dip Skoal to get my nicotine fix...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hi Mr. X--welcome to SR. I agree with the other posters that answering your question is something only you can do. For me, I am like Ken. Every once in a while I would be able to drink just a few drinks and stop, but whenever I did, I would be almost insane with really wanting more. Most often I would need 2 or 3 bong hits so I could just pass out and forget about it. Then I would wake up in the morning congratulating myself for exhibiting such control. What a joke!! Then the next time I would reward myself by not monitoring my drinking at all--often consuming as many as 24 beers in a 24 hour period, although they were "girly light beer's." The fact that you have come here tells me you are concerned about how much you drink. What if you couldn't drink at all for a period of time? What do you think would happen? Just some food for thought--you don't actually have to answer me.

Glad you are here--keep posting.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome,
As mentioned only you can decide. If it's a concern that semi-haunts you then maybe you should be concerned. If you haven't had a physical in a while you may want to get one done, so you can make sure your health is in order and have a baseline of progress should you decide to quit all together. We'll be here, whatever you decide!
Old 08-23-2004, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr X

This is a real nice board, Glad I found it. As far as my Boozing goes, It was kinda like my Cigarette problem. I smoked for 18 years and finally wised up. On that same token I realized I've Boozed for about 13 years and have just noticed this past year that it's not "normal"...2 or 3 is "normal" (According to medical sites)...I just happen to love beer?????? But my discipline has been pretty good. I'm at 6 a night, except for Saturday when I do about 8....Damn shame the things you enjoy are always bad for you......
Old 08-23-2004, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

2190 beers a year! 2190 beers a year...Take one down... pass it around... 2189 beers to drink this year. Ummm I dont like playin that game anymore. A 6 pack a day too much. That sounds like enough to take a cruise this year. Maybe thats what I'll do. Your gonna have to figure out what 6 beers a day is gonna get you. If your content with that, more power to ya. In either case we'll be here. just take care of yourself!

Good Luck,
Phil
Old 08-23-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

You drink almost as many calories in beer, in one night, as I eat (in food, of course) all day! THAT is a lot of calories! Not to mention the health risks (liver, pancreas, mental deterioration, etc) - the medical community agrees that one or two alcoholic drinks per day is plenty - more than that is considered excessive... I watched alcoholism kill my mother, it's not a pretty way to go - I'm very passionate about the subject.

From someone who's "the other half" to someone who drinks like you, it's almost excruciating to have a reasonable conversation with someone who has had six beers... broken promises, forgotten plans, priorities not *quite* where they would be if he was sober, irrational conversations, arguments... That's why I am here..

I hope you reach your goal and you're able to maintain it. I'm also glad you are open minded enough to take the risk and come here to ask questions and learn - you've got nothing to lose and so much to gain.

Personally I think that cruise sounds like LOTS more fun than lying around on a couch drinking, though!!

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very good point Phil, I was doing 9 litres of wine and about 20 pints of beer a week - which saved me about ÂĢ4,500 in the first year, that's excluding the other savings of damage around the house, damage to the car, painkillers, lost productivity - which probably doubles that figure.
Basically being sober, 30 pounds lighter and fit again, I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to drink ever again.

Deg.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I actually just now joined up because I read your message here that says...

""You drink almost as many calories in beer, in one night, as I eat (in food, of course) all day! THAT is a lot of calories! Not to mention the health risks (liver, pancreas, mental deterioration, etc) - the medical community agrees that one or two alcoholic drinks per day is plenty - more than that is considered excessive... I watched alcoholism kill my mother, it's not a pretty way to go - I'm very passionate about the subject.

From someone who's "the other half" to someone who drinks like you, it's almost excruciating to have a reasonable conversation with someone who has had six beers... broken promises, forgotten plans, priorities not *quite* where they would be if he was sober, irrational conversations, arguments... That's why I am here..

I hope you reach your goal and you're able to maintain it. I'm also glad you are open minded enough to take the risk and come here to ask questions and learn - you've got nothing to lose and so much to gain.

Personally I think that cruise sounds like LOTS more fun than lying around on a couch drinking, though!!

Best of luck to you!""

I'm not sure how things work on this site as it being I'm brand new. But I loved your writing and it gives me strength. I was doing a google on "is a 6 pack a beer per day too much" and found this site. I already knew the answer. I don't do anything other than beer and I stay home when I do it(not that it is an excuse). I've lost all my friends over the times when I DIDN'T recluse myself into my own place. I have lots to read and learn now.

Just wanted to send you a thank you for your message. Maybe AA would bring me together with like-minded individuals. I hear good and bad things though. Drinking is a problem for me. It makes me sad.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roggy

it's an old thread - but we're still glad to have you here
I was a beer drinker too- it still destroyed my life pretty good.

You'll find a lot of support here

Welcome!
D
Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

one beer for me is like opening pandoraīs box...it will lead to drinking more beers...and those lead to getting high...

But hey thatīs just me...addiction can be a very personal thing...

Drinking six beers a day will damage your body in the long run tough....thatīs a fact...two drinks a day can have positive health effects...but that should be the limit, and thatīs with red wine...donīt know if beer even has any positive health effect
Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

l have a friend who drinks 10 cans of Heineken a day (0,5 liter cans)
He does not bother anyone and is perfectly happy.
Not much of a life but he chooses to live that way.
Who am l to tell him to change his ways ?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Roggy and welcome to SR.

Is it you or your partner who has a problem with alcohol?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Chances are, if you have to control something -- or attempt to control it -- it's more than likely out of control.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi.....

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Welcome to our recovery community
I hope you will find your way into sobreity....
Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess it all depends on what the number of beers is accomplishing. The 'cutting' down thing never worked for me. If it did, then I was probably not an alcoholic or an addict.

If I got buzzed on six cans, why would I even need the next six then? Was the 'buzz' the ultimate goal or intention? I had to realize, not everyone drinks to get 'buzzed'. Some can and do stop at one or two, though for the life of me, I can't comprehend that.

In my case, what difference would it have really made whether I cut down shooting three bags of dope to two bags of dope, if I was still getting off on the two bags?

For me, it was either total abstinance or total oblivion.
And once I did one, it would eventually lead to more.
And I could never predict the places I would end up that would alter my initial intentions of so called 'cutting' down. It always seemed to end up just a temp fix.

I would always end up justifying somehow, 'being I'm drinking these six, I may as well just do what I REALLY want to do, so why stop here!'

I have to wonder what would compel someone to seek help on a 'sober recovery' forum on how to cut down.

I would think most here are seeking recovery. Not how to remain active drinkers.

The initial question was 'is drinking only six bad'?

If one believes they are an alcoholic, my question would be, does anyone think that is good?

If one thinks they are not, and one is having no problems as a result...well, hey, party on, dude!!

If one day, even six has bad results, at least you will know where you can go to get help. That's the good news.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i read somewhere to stop for 30 days if int not a big deal ur probally not addicted i tried it and didnt make it thats why im here trying to learn