# 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Rosco

Feel free to start your own thread any time you want to -
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Try something to see if you have a problem: Tomorrow night, drink one beer and stop for the night. See how many nights in a row you can do this. If you can't stop after just one beer, you might need to give this some serious thought. For example, my wife does not have a problem with alcohol. She can drink 1 drink, 3 drinks or zero drinks at any setting. She can clearly control her drinking and never counts because she doesn't have to-heck, she rarely even drinks. My brief history: Through my twenties, I drank 3-5 beers after work every night and then went home to the family for dinner. In my early 30's I started drinking 3-4 beers/glasses of wine before dinner at the bar, then drinking a little more at home before bed. Before 40 I was drinking at least 3(sometimes 4) bottles of wine every night. My habit had turned into an obsession. Be very careful please!!! I am lucky to be alive
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just stumble on this post because I googled '' 6 beers a day '' and I could not help myself... I had to ask...

I know I am an alcoholic and I'm trying everything I can not to let the addiction try and take over my life, I know this is some of the best place I can talk ( I've been to A.A and stuff like that ) I know that ex-alcoholic are the best because they know what you've been thru

That being said, here it goes... I know I have a problem, I do not drink (anymore) on a daily bases, I've stop that because it was hell, I didn't feel good, my family was complaining because of me drinking ( + I had drug problems but I'm WAY done with drugs ) and I know where that road takes you ( I've done things ...)

Now my problem is that I don't drink everyday, when I'm around my girlfriend I don't drink and most of the time I don't drink... but the second I'm alone ( the very second I know I'm alone fore like 24 hours ) I drink like 6-7 beers in like 2 hours get drunk ( I know it ain't much to some of you ) and then the day after I feel like **** swear I will never drunk pass a day and then if I'M alone the next day I'll drink again until I'm drunk, all by myself....

I just don't know what to do... I have this thirst when I'm alone and don't know how to get past it... I go to the university and it affect my grades. I'm very desperate ((((
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dagothz

Support really helped me turn things around, and you'll find a lot of it here.

It really helped me to come here, acknowledge I had a problem, and look at the various solutions people were using.

Good to have you with us

D
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Lots of support is here for you.

I want to ask if you've looked into why you are drinking when you are alone? And getting drunk in 2 hours? And you are university age...what is going on where you want to be drunk in a short time, alone? Is it out of boredom? Avoidance? Is it time you need to be spending on school work?

I don't want answers
, but have you written anything down as to what your goal is (drinking) at that point? Something for you to look at on your own and to consider.

I wish you well!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Dagothz View Post
That being said, here it goes... I know I have a problem, .....

Now my problem is that I don't drink everyday, when I'm around my girlfriend I don't drink and most of the time I don't drink... but the second I'm alone ( the very second I know I'm alone fore like 24 hours ) I drink like 6-7 beers in like 2 hours get drunk ( I know it ain't much to some of you ) and then the day after I feel like **** swear I will never drunk pass a day and then if I'M alone the next day I'll drink again until I'm drunk, all by myself....

I just don't know what to do... I have this thirst when I'm alone and don't know how to get past it... I go to the university and it affect my grades. I'm very desperate ((((
Are you alcoholic? (answer that to yourself......I don't need to know) check out this other thread I just posted in: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3326219

The part of your post I quoted sounds like the inability to stay away from the first drink - AKA the mental obsession I covered in #2 in that post above.

Maybe you're still in control though and maybe you can moderate or set your mind to fixing the problems. Do that.......soon........like......today.

---If you can't, don't go to AA -- GOING to AA is a waste of time. The program is not designed to work by "going to AA." On the other hand......if you want to go to some meetings to find a guide through the steps, to work the steps, and to emerge a completely different person.....someone you can actually LIKE.......then AA works, it's guaranteed to work, and I've never seen it NOT work.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cadence57 View Post
You drink almost as many calories in beer, in one night, as I eat (in food, of course) all day! THAT is a lot of calories! Not to mention the health risks (liver, pancreas, mental deterioration, etc) - the medical community agrees that one or two alcoholic drinks per day is plenty - more than that is considered excessive... I watched alcoholism kill my mother, it's not a pretty way to go - I'm very passionate about the subject.

From someone who's "the other half" to someone who drinks like you, it's almost excruciating to have a reasonable conversation with someone who has had six beers... broken promises, forgotten plans, priorities not *quite* where they would be if he was sober, irrational conversations, arguments... That's why I am here..

I hope you reach your goal and you're able to maintain it. I'm also glad you are open minded enough to take the risk and come here to ask questions and learn - you've got nothing to lose and so much to gain.

Personally I think that cruise sounds like LOTS more fun than lying around on a couch drinking, though!!

Best of luck to you!
I know this is old, but are you saying you only eat 600 or 700 calories of food in one day? A beer is about 100 to 150 calories......
Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome John

Just to let you know, Cadence has not posted here for nearly 5 years.

D
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
For years I was at 10-12 Beers a day. I'm currently down to a six pack, my goal is 3-4 a day, however I was just wondering:

Is 6 beers a day really all that bad?

I've always showed up for work, no domestic probs, no drinking-driving, etc. I just happen to be a guy that likes to watch TV after work, surf the net, and kill some beer on a daily basis sitting on the couch.
'

I dont mean to be discouraging, but the fact you are worrying about it is usually a sign its a problem. Anytime a chemical substance or its effect becomes a focal point in your life, then its a problem. I think we have all asked "is this really that bad" or made justifications to avoid having to give up drinking. You dread the though of living without it, as right now you consider it a "friend". Its not a friend, and as you carry on down the road, it will take of its mask and reveal just how wicked and evil it is.

Think of it like this. Chewing gum is something most people enjoy right? So with chewing gum, do you find yourself worrying how much of it you have at home? Does Chewing gum cause issues in your life that you aren't happy about? Do you worry how much chewing gum you chew daily? Do you get anxious when you run out of gum? Do people think you chew way to much gum, and when they mention this, does it anger you?NO. Because chewing gum isn't addictive. I bet you worry about all the things listed above in regards to alcohol though, right? That should tell you something right there.

I applaud you on your efforts to wean or cut down. For most people though, it just doesn't work. If we had long term control over alcohol, then we wouldn't be here. Sure, I had weeks and months where I was able to limit myself, but I always ended up in the SAME place, each and EVERY time. Have you asked yourself honestly, why having those beers every-night is so important to you? It might be a good place to start, but you have to be honest. Welcome to the forum, I wish you the best of luck.