Notices

Any advice for someone newly sober?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice for someone newly sober?

Hi. I'm 13 days alcohol free after several years of hard drinking. I'd been trying to quit for about a year and a half, but constantly found excuses. I've finally managed to start, and I've been surprised at how easy it has been thus far.

I'm not trying to brag, and I don't want to discourage anyone who's struggling to quit. In fact, I'm concerned that this is illusory, and tomorrow everything will change and things will become impossible. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who's been through what I'm going through, as well as thoughts on what to expect and tips to stay sober.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome formylittlegirl

I'm glad it's been easy for you so far.
13 days is great - but it's pretty early in the proceedings.

You may find that this was your time to quit and not look back...or, not to wish you ill, but you might find it gets a little more difficult down the road.

Support is vital, I think if you want to stay sober for good. You'll find a lot of support here - and some great ideas too in a recovery plan.

check out this link here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Look around and see what other people are doing - find a way that makes sense to you

Great to have you join us

D
Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You may find that this was your time to quit and not look back...or, not to wish you ill, but you might find it gets a little more difficult down the road.
D
For me, it WAS my time to quit. There is so much truth in that people will quit when they are ready. It cannot be forced on anyone.
When the desire to quit drinking is more than the desire to drink - that's all it takes really.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You're doing a great job so far and I'm glad it's been a straightforward change for you. Life goes up and down sometimes so I definitely recommend the link Dee shared about a recovery plan, just in case!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

If it's easy for you thank your lucky stars , although at a year and a half giving up it doesn't sound like plain sailing all the way eh ?

For me i was very ready to quit , especially when i realised it bought out the worst in my character and smothered the good .

Keep on, prepare for tough times, enjoy every day

Take care , m
Old 04-27-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just don't drink. It truly is that easy. Make it not even an option. Change whatever you have to in order to make sure it's not an option.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me the better I feel the more I have to be on top of my recovery. For some feeling good is prime relapse time...Great job on day 13..
TC
Old 04-27-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always found it easy to quit. I've done it quite a few times now. Each time I thought I was ready. Each time I thought I really have a handle on this thing. I no longer feel that way. I now have plans in place for all of my triggers and am very diligent regarding my sobriety. Everyone said you need a plan. I said yes yes. But never really had one except not to drink. I realize we are all different but all the people on here who are going long term seem to have a plan. Wish you great success.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

The link D included is very useful and here is another feel free to print it off

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi :-)
I myself tried for years & failed. Something happened & it was a lightbulb moment for me. It seemed easy for 2 weeks, struggled a bit around day 7 but after that all was good. For a while.
A plan!! I didn't think I needed one & just carried on as normal without drinking & without changing anything really.
You need to change everything associated with your drinking in the past. I even stopped buying Orange Juice because I would keep it for binge nights.
I now know I need to keep adapting & changing to help me through another day or another week
xx
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advice and kind words! Today is 2 full weeks without a drink and I'm feeling great (the weight loss is a great bonus, but I've gotta way to go as I really let myself go)! I wish all if you success, and hope to maintain my path.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats, Formylittlegirl! Two weeks is great!

I know how you feel about the fear that it may be illusory. It can help to join your SR "class" -- that's the Class of April 2015 for you. It's helpful to be with people who are at roughly the same point in recovery as you. I also founded it helped to go to the Tuesday and Friday chatroom meetings, which begin at 8 p.m. CST. I remember sharing my fear that it was all an illusion and got some really solid feedback from fellow journeyers.

You're doing great! You can do this!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi - I purposely haven't read the other posts so my support isn't influenced by what's been said; so it may already have been posted. Take your sobriety very seriously and make it your top priority. As much as is possible remove all triggers, and be willing to make whatever lifestyle changes are required to do this. Don't try to prove anything to yourself by rushing back into situations where you associate with your past drinking. Sobriety is long-term work, think weeks, months and years - it's a life long journey.

Expect that sobriety can feel boring in the early stages. That's normal and later will become the gift of serenity. Use the "boredom" to rediscover old interests and hobbies and to try new things.

Also expect sobriety to have ups and downs. At some point you will come off the honeymoon phase and it will be hard work. The more dedicated you are in this early phase the easier it will be later. Immerse yourself in sobriety; try multiple approaches: AA, AVRT, SR, web research, learning about addiction, etc. At the same time, don't try to figure it all out. Just go with the flow and embrace the mantra "I don't drink alcohol".

Reach out for help as soon as you feel your resolve or commitment starting to waver. There's no heroism in white knuckling it or trying to do it alone. There is safety and support in numbers.

A sober life is a wonderful thing, and if you stick with the work the best parts of your life are ahead of you. And always remember: You can do this!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum formylittlegirl!!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on two weeks. I did read the other posts and You've gotten some solid advice. I'm adding my encouragement.

I find I don't anymore want to drink to taste the alcohol but the thought of drinking arises to solve problems or stress so I have to work on how to alleviate those issues.

Keep going!