Notices

Buddhism

Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buddhism

Sorry mods, no idea if I'm breaking the rules or not due to the religion theme. Please feel free to remove if desired.

Has anyone ever tried Buddhism for alcohol rehab? I literally live beside a large temple, and I can see it from my window. The main gate is maybe 100m down the street. One of the precepts of Buddhism is no alcohol, and actually, no desiring anything. You're expected to remove all temptation & desire from your soul.

I'm thinking about it. It means no hair, eyebrows, clothes, air conditioning, internet, etc... but it might be good. Give a nice donation to say thanks, learn some cool stuff along the way, and hopefully come out sober.

Has anyone else used Buddhism on their recovery journey? What's your personal experience?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Court jester

Refuge Recovery is based on Buddhist principles.

There is a thread about it in this forum:
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi TroyW,
I'm a Buddhist and it was a huge help to me. I was Buddhist when I drank and I'm Buddhist now that I don't.

It doesn't have to be a religion. It can be a philosophy. It just explained life to me in a way that I could understand so that's how I got there.

I think anytime you open yourself up to something new with an open mind it can't hurt.

So yes. I use Buddhism very much to help me stay sober. And sane for that matter. But it wasn't the precept that did it. It was learning to detach myself from my thoughts more.

Just me.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have made a return to and delved deeper into eastern philosophy and literature that caught my interest back in the 90's when I was in my early 20's. I particularly am interested In Taoism and the poetry of Taoist monks and hermits of China.

There's something about both eastern philosophy and literature that goes well with sobriety- that requires sobriety almost. That crystal clear quality. Glass- like clarity.
I am interested in Buddhism as a philosophy, and there's a well known temple not far from where I live that I'd like to check out in more depth.
So, yes- I think studying that part of the world's religions and literature is a good sober pursuit.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Sorry mods, no idea if I'm breaking the rules or not due to the religion theme. Please feel free to remove if desired.

Has anyone ever tried Buddhism for alcohol rehab? I literally live beside a large temple, and I can see it from my window. The main gate is maybe 100m down the street. One of the precepts of Buddhism is no alcohol, and actually, no desiring anything. You're expected to remove all temptation & desire from your soul.

I'm thinking about it. It means no hair, eyebrows, clothes, air conditioning, internet, etc... but it might be good. Give a nice donation to say thanks, learn some cool stuff along the way, and hopefully come out sober.

Has anyone else used Buddhism on their recovery journey? What's your personal experience?
I’m not a Buddhist, but I’ve used Buddhist concepts in my recovery. One being, I continue on the “Road Less Traveled” which is the road of pain and suffering. This road is less traveled due to the avoidance of pain and suffering which is the postponement of the inevitable. Alcohol is one of many ways I avoided the inevitable. Yet, FOR ME the paradox is that alcoholism was MY delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only reality.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've found the philosophy useful to maintaining and having a glorious sober life .. i don't know about the religious aspects of it .

bestwishes, m
Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a few threads in the spirituality section and elsewhere

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eing-path.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...o-i-begin.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-buddhism.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-buddhism.html

D
Old 04-21-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you're referring to Buddhist monks. Following buddhism does not require no hair, eyebrows, etc. Please look into more.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreaming123 View Post
I think you're referring to Buddhist monks. Following buddhism does not require no hair, eyebrows, etc. Please look into more.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Become a novice monk for a little while. Everyone here generally does it once in their lives -- it seen as a rite of passage, type of thing. I'm a little old at 33, and you're not supposed to start until Buddhist Lent in July, but meh... you can actually do it whenever.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That sounds neat. I read a little about i Buddhism

Jennifer
Old 04-21-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What the heck, I wasn't done with that post. Fumble fingers today. I thought about going Buddhist but I think I read about the giving up of meat. And I don't think you can fish or hunt so I just use a few of their philosophies combined with a bunch of others.

Jennifer
Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think religion can help to boost yourself. To stay away from bad thjngs such as alcohol, drugs, crime etc.

I respect evryones belives, but there is 3 real religion to obey real god. And budizm not one of them. But if it help you ofcorse doesnt matter.

This is my opinion sorry.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Troy:

I have personally used many of the Buddhist principles to aid my sobriety and my life in general. I do not follow a specific religion, but if I did, this would be it. Part of my sober journey has been educating myself and Buddhist concepts have helped me a lot and opened my eyes.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Going into a monastery is something a lot of people think about...I know I did as a younger guy.

I'm not sure it would have solved any of my problems tho.

Even if you have the vocation, on some level young me had the idea I'd walk into a monastery and walk out magically complete and healed.

Old me knows that's not the way it works.

D
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I highly suggest you read: Shambalah: The Sacred Path Of The Warrior by Trungpa Chogyam

Read it a few times. By the second time you will begin to understand what it means. Then you will want to read it again. And you will want to share it.

It's a good start.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I highly suggest you read: Shambalah: The Sacred Path Of The Warrior by Trungpa Chogyam

Read it a few times. By the second time you will begin to understand what it means. Then you will want to read it again. And you will want to share it.

It's a good start.
Its a way maybe but not religion. There is only one god, christian ppl call it as god, jews as yehuda and muslims as allah. Its only and one creator to obey.

Its my opinion, no offance.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is about Buddhism, and particularly about a Buddhist approach to recovery.

It's clear to me it's a topic a lot of people have an interest in.

I think it's reasonable to ask that this thread stays on topic.

You're very welcome to start a thread about Christian approaches to recovery if you want chaosundivided.

No offense intended either.

Dee
SR
Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I discovered buddhism early on in my sobriety. Consequently, I have made meditation a core part of my recovery plan. Buddhism may not directly aid in relieving alcoholism but I believe it helps me in relieving (on a daily basis !) the delusions and suffering I experience in a modern secular society. As such, it indirectly helped in reducing my desire to drink. Now, it is an indispensable part of my personal development.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

In my meditation I incorporate some Buddhist thoughts. This gent encouraged passage meditation I find very soothing and helpful leading to the Great Reality within each of us. For me I cannot imagine sobriety without the pursuit of a spiritual nature.

I love his story of the sculptor and its use of analogy in discovery of our divine spark/spiritual nature. Worth a read

The story of the elephant sculptor : The Timeless Wisdom of Eknath Easwaran