Notices

What exactly is a recovery plan?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
I see lots of posts that ask about specific parts of a written recovery plan, so I have decided to share an outline of my recovery plan. This omits the details that apply to me, but includes the section headings with a brief description of what could be included. Hopefully there are some that find it helpful.

In my humble opinion, there are two critical factors to a treatment plan. First, it should be in writing. Second, it should be individualized. As such, your plan might be completely different from mine. My outline below is in no way meant to serve as the "right" outline or even necessarily a good outline.

Here is my outline:

I. Plan Objectives – In this section, I articulated the objectives of my written plan, essentially stating that it is a comprehensive and practical outline for living a sober life and that the plan is intended to be malleable based upon the status of my recovery.

II. My Identity & Goals – In this section, I tried to identify who I am and what my goals are. I specifically identified susceptibility to addiction as part of my identity and also identified other strengths and weaknesses that comprised my identity. I identified my goals for recovery, both short term (such as identifying specific things to accomplish in my first 6 weeks and first 6 months) and long term (acceptance of the fact that I will never drink again and, of course, never drinking again).

III. Treatment Plan

A. Personal Values – In this section, I identified the values that are the most important to me. The intent of this section is to recognize and memorialize the fact that my highest personal values are inconsistent with alcohol abuse and can best be maintained through abstinence.

B. Personal Affirmations – These are 4-8 affirmations that I read every day in early recovery. They were changed every few weeks in early recovery. Examples: “I am happy because I am sober;” “Because I am sober, my energy is positive and it is entirely focused on my true values.”

C. The Four Agreements – My recovery plan included reading this book and studying the Four Agreements. Others might skip this section or include passages from some other literature that they felt was particularly compelling.

D. What Are My Most Likely Causes of a Relapse – In this section, I articulated and described the most likely causes of relapse that would apply to me. They included: Complacency, Stress, Exhaustion, Dishonesty, Lack of Physical Exercise, Too Much Time in “Danger Zones”, Big successes or big failures, and the “Voice” or AV.

E. How to Handle Social Events With Alcohol – In this section, I articulated specific steps that I would take when attending any event where alcohol was served. The memorialization of this served to be very helpful because, while it might seem simple (just avoid drinking dummy) there are specific actions you can take before you attend these events that will improve your chances of success. These include: (1) Choice: choose carefully whether to attend and, for some period of time, only attend if there are specifically identifiable benefits; (2) Reminder: Before attending, take time to explicitly remind myself of the importance of abstinence; the importance of sobriety must be at the forefront of my mind when placing myself at such an event in early recovery; (3) Awareness of Past Pleasure Senses: Be very wary of potential pleasurable thoughts from past activities; If I am at an event that evokes pleasant memories of drinking, I need to leave; (4) Escape Plan: Develop and articulate a plan to depart the event immediately if there is any temptation to drink, no matter how small; (5) Assistance: If someone is with me at the function that is aware of my history, ask them to periodically check on me; (6) Backup Emergency: Have a safe word that I can text to someone to help me with whatever situation arises.

F. How to Handle Multi-Day Family Events – This was a section that applied mostly to me; Others should consider whether there are specific events in their lives that are likely to lead to relapse and, if so, add a section to the plan that explicitly discusses measures to be taken to maintain sobriety. Such a plan should always include an “escape” and a recognition that simply standing up and walking out of the most important function is a better solution than drinking.

G. Who is My Support Network – This section identifies the people that comprise my support network.

H. Meetings & Telephone Conferences – This section identified, with specificity, meetings or phone conferences that I would participate in and how often I would participate.

I. Awareness of PAWS – This section described the PAWS’ symptoms in some detail. It also reminded me to make my significant other aware of the symptoms so that she would not mistake them for a relapse.

J. Understanding of How Addiction Disease Works – I included a section that described my understanding of the science behind addiction. I found it helpful to periodically read this because I could better understand addiction as a disease that I was treating, rather than some sort of moral failing.

K. Physical Health – I included specific and detailed requirements for physical exercise, short terms goals, and long term goals. After some 16 months, I continue to believe that exercise is the single most important factor in my sobriety.

L. Spirituality – I described my own spirituality and the role that it would play in recovery, including goals and requirements.

M. Ongoing Support for Significant Other – In this section, I recognized that my SO needed support due to my addiction and articulated how I would support her. Importantly, it recognized that she had to make decisions on her own recovery and my role was mostly one of support and understanding.

N. Journaling – I described specific requirements related to journaling during the first several months of recovery.

O. Domestication Issues – This section described how domestication issues played a role in my addiction and included my goals for addressing those issues.

P. Memories to Learn From – I specifically memorialized some of my worst experiences with alcohol, to serve as reminder of the importance of my sobriety.

Q. Quotes, Poems & Phrases – I collected various quotes, poems and phrases that I found to be particularly inspirational during my recovery.

R. Joy – This section was a happy section, where I reminded myself to take great pride in my recovery and reminded myself to celebrate my sobriety.
Fantastic, soberandhonest.

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for this! I really needed to read this today.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up, Surrender!!!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Always worth revising
Old 06-10-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

trying to develop a good solid plan, was nice to see this thread.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bump.

Newcomers, don't miss this thread!!!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
Thank you so much. I was wondering how I could even *start* to make a plan.
Same.

Thank you.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Bumping for Deziraye, as promised.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Bumping, as promised, for LadyEngineer.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Bumping, as promised, for zeppodog.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm bumping this to the top because, after 20 months, I continue to strongly believe that a written recovery plan is absolutely crucial. If you want to quit but don't know how, start by sitting down for an hour and writing out specific actions that you are going to take on regular basis to improve the likelihood of your success.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Part of the issue with my recovery plan is we drink at home. My husband and I both. We hang out in the backyard on weekends and swim and get wasted. My husband made it clear he doesnt want to stop drinking, at least right now he doesnt want to stop.
I work weekends. I am usually off during the week. My busiest and most stressful day is Saturday. When I get home and see my kids and husband in the pool with a frosty beer in his hand, I usually give in. Especially if I have had a long hot day. I tell myself I will only have 2. Then I say I will only have 6. By then I have given up and send my husband to the store for another 18 pk.....how do I avoid my own home?
I have thought about asking him to go out and drink but that will be expensive. Do I leave?
I must fight through this. This is the toughest part....we are home drinkers.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many people here have spouses who drink, so although it's challenging, it not a deal breaker for sobriety

Is there a quiet place where you can go when your husband or others are drinking?

Or maybe a place where your husband could sit and drink?

What are some other ways you can relax after work?

Could you maybe keep an ice cold soda or sparkling water on the fridge for yourself?

Don't forget to check in here for support too. If you need more support would you consider something like AA or some other meeting based group?

I can be around drinkers now and not notice them drinking, let alone be triggered.

It takes a little time and effort but it can happen

D
Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Many people here have spouses who drink, so although it's challenging, it not a deal breaker for sobriety

Is there a quiet place where you can go when your husband or others are drinking?

Or maybe a place where your husband could sit and drink?

What are some other ways you can relax after work?

Could you maybe keep an ice cold soda or sparkling water on the fridge for yourself?

Don't forget to check in here for support too. If you need more support would you consider something like AA or some other meeting based group?

I can be around drinkers now and not notice them drinking, let alone be triggered.

It takes a little time and effort but it can happen

D
He sits in the backyard. I could sit in the bedroom and do a number of different activities.
We will see what happens this weekend and next.
Thanks for replying. 😁
Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its a great start
Read through the link at the start of the thread is you haven't already

D
Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thanks, Dee.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

This has been one of the most informative threads I've read so far.

Lots of great ideas on this forum. I'm glad I found this place, I believe it's what will actually help me stick to it this time.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Mr

Bumping this thread.
Underlining this : "you need new coping mechanisms"
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

This thread needs a new bump for the new year!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks SoberandHonest

D