Notices

2 Days in (48 Hours)

Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Days in (48 Hours)

Hi all,

I am a 39 year old male professional. I have been a heavy drinker (I think) for the past 20 years. The first 10 was beer, the last 10 scotch. I drank about 500ml scotch per day on a weeknight, and 1000ml per day of the weekends. A couple of weeks back, my wife of three years decided she wanted a separation so she left telling me to think. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife ver much, but in the booze fueled mind that was mine - I didn't think too much about it.

From there it went downhill very quickly. I would wake up in the morning feeling very anxious, shaky, sweats you name it. I could not wait to get to work to get those first couple of vodkas in by 6:30 am. I heard you could not smell it. Anyway that would calm me down to 10, when the cycle would start again. By 12 it was the same thing. At 3 I would retire to the pub with colleagues, and get some beers in. At 8 I would go home and get the usual scotch in. This has gone on for the last six or seven weeks now.

Anyway, my plan for the long weekend was to detox, well due to some unforeseen emotional discourse with the wife, that plan was put paid to rest.

Tuesday when I went to work, before I could get my drinks in a colleague asked me to join her for a smoke as she does not like to smoke alone. This continued during the day. So there was no choice to get a drink in. By 3 is was a wreck. The shakes and sweating were so bad. I decided to just go home. Once home I lay on the bed and bargained with myself - I would have that first drink at 5. I started reading a book, and 5 came. I bargained to wait till 6 and became absorbed in the book. The anxiousness was starting to ease of a bit, and the shivering and sweating were in spells now. 6 came, bargain again. 7 came, bargain again. I was drinking copious amounts of water during this time. I had a fantastic headache. 8 came, bargain again. I bargained again at 9. The anxiousness was not too bad now.

I decided to surf the net and the first page I found was about the HAMS tapering method. But at this stage did not feel to uncomfortable. I was sweating, shaking and shivering in spells. Short ones. I had taken something for the headache. I went back to my book. I thought, I have got this far lets just cold turkey this thing out. Oh boy.

Around 11 my eyes were drooping from the book, and like I said earlier they were shorts spells and would pass quickly, so I was feeling much better than the morning where I could not get my fix. So bed time. Oh boy. Just as I was dropping off, I had my first convulsion. It lifted me off the bed. But I have had these before after a heavy session so I didn't think to much of it. Then the bugs under the skin would come, but in spells. This went on the whole night. Each time I was dozing off - blam - convulsion and bug spell. Anyway I must of dozed off for about 30 minutes just before the alarm went off.

So how did I feel then this morning. Well I had a light sweat, but at least the shaking was not that obvious. I had a nice hot bath and got dressed for work. I did not have that urgent need for a drink. To my surprise, I walked down the stairs without being a shaking idiot as has been happening to me for a while. My muscle control had returned somewhat.

To my surprise, I was quite calm on he drive to work. I did not curse and shout at every other driver around me. I got to work and went straight to the chemist and bought som B12 vitamin supplement. Took one with coffee and was feeling ok. About 8 the brain mist set in. I bought a pie, and for the first time in years was able to eat the whole pie in one sitting. This is a little meat mans pie people. I got on the net and found this site. Oh boy. I told an old friend of mine about my first evening dry and did I get it in the neck about not going to a professional before detoxing. I understand now after reading through most of these posts.

I had little shivering and sweating spells during the day, nothing major. But no craving to drink. I had a few mild anxiety and panic attacks but I had read about wave surfing so I just rode it through. By 2:30 a slight shaking had come back to my hand, nothing major like before. I have this burning feeling down one side of my face, that has been with me for a while. You know the one - just under the skin. Unlike yesterday, I did not have any of that tingling at the tips of my fingers or hands and things going numb. I got caught in a traffic jam on the way home, but did not lose my cool, again to my surprise.

I got home and made myself something to eat, again I was amazed that I could eat two sandwiches in one go. I have been drinking copious amounts of water during the whole evening. I have a slight sheen of sweat. The shaking has gone - maybe I had to eat? I have not had any shivering spells so far this evening. I have had the headache thing comming and going the whole day, but they fade after a while. As I sit here and type this, I can in all honesty say, I do not crave a drink and I have a full bottle of scotch downstairs in the kitchen. I have the brain mist, and I have that burning feeling down the side of my face. I was even able to do some work today for the first time in weeks. I did two whole days of work just in this afternoon alone.

I know that the road is long and hard. I would not advocate the cold turkey thing. I used to be very fit when I was younger, so maybe that helped.

My plan - one day at a time. I first have to heal myself before I can heal anything with my wife and the people around me that I have damaged through booze.

This is my story so far, now we live it day by day.

Cheers

ZABoozer
Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ZABoozer!!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ZaBoozer. Keep us posted. I will soon finish day 5. Landed up in the hopistal on day 3. Full blown panic attack. Because my BP spiked to 211/98, they admitted me. I spent one night. Went home with a prescription for Loraxepam. it makes me very sleepy. So I have started to cut them in half. This afternoon I feel pretty good. My situation may not be as bad as yours, but I am praying to be normal in the next few days. I will not ever want to go through this again. But with the blood pressure level I had going to the ER was probably the right move. I am trying for work tomorrow-day 6. Cheers and good luck. Be careful and I think going to the ER can be the right thing.

Last edited by BecomingSober; 04-08-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos and additional comments
Old 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BecomingSober View Post
ZaBoozer. Keep us posted. I will soon finish day 5. Landed up in the hopistal on day 3. Full blown panic attack. Because my BP spiked to 211/98, they admitted me. I spent one night. Went home with a prescription for Loraxepam. it makes me very sleepy. So I have started to cut them in half. This afternoon I feel pretty good. My situation may not be as bad as yours, but I am praying to be normal in the next few days. I will not ever want to go through this again. But with the blood pressure level I had going to the ER was probably the right move. I am trying for work tomorrow-day 6. Cheers and good luck. Be careful and I think going to the ER can be the right thing.
Thanks Becomming,

I have not had much in the way of panic. Like I said earlier, I was very fit when I was younger. I am actually feeling ok as I lie here. Just the brain mist, the burn in the side of the face and I forgot mention - the continual burping of acetone.

I am not tired yet, but it is only 20:30 this side.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum ZABoozer!!
Thank PK
Old 04-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome ZaBooza i had a friend from zim growing up so i know a traditional greeting

Howzit what's cuttin

Glad your here friend
Old 04-08-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your story inspires!!! thank you for joining!!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi ZaB, congratulations on quitting like that, it's pretty hair raising isn't it? I was a fellow scotch drinker (similar amounts). I am 54 and not so fit so was probably "done in" for a bit longer. 98 days sober only so still new

For me the early days were plagued by fatigue and insomnia but I did feel good for doing it too.

If I could make a suggestion I would get rid of your bottle of scotch while you're still up for it - it will start calling to you when you begin to feel better
Old 04-08-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hello & Welcome ZaBooza i had a friend from zim growing up so i know a traditional greeting Howzit what's cuttin Glad your here friend
Thank SW,

I was born there, but it was known as Rodesia then
Old 04-08-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CharlesG View Post
your story inspires!!! thank you for joining!!
Thanks CG,

You guys have the inspiring stories, I just made the mistakes.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi ZaB, congratulations on quitting like that, it's pretty hair raising isn't it? I was a fellow scotch drinker (similar amounts). I am 54 and not so fit so was probably "done in" for a bit longer. 98 days sober only so still new For me the early days were plagued by fatigue and insomnia but I did feel good for doing it too. If I could make a suggestion I would get rid of your bottle of scotch while you're still up for it - it will start calling to you when you begin to feel better
Thanks saoutchick,

Last night was a real eye opener. I am not sure if the amounts we drank qualify us as heavy drinkers, but I am sure we we there. Scotch and water is a beast. I used to drink my tots in a 500ml glass topped with water, so I was always hydrated. The things we tell ourselves to BS ourselves.

I don't have fatigue, I hope I don't have last nights episode with the convulsions and bugs under the skin. The thing that is plaguing me is the headaches and the brain mist as well as the burning under my skin on the side of my face. Horrible. But just being able to walk down the stairs without shaking is such a reward. To see that the shaking in my hands is almost gone is a blessing in disguise.

You are right I should probably get rid of it.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ZaBoozer

yeah I'd get rid of it too - you're a non drinker now, right?

D
Old 04-08-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome ZaBoozer yeah I'd get rid of it too - you're a non drinker now, right? D
Thanks Dee74, I will do that.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all,

It is the start of day 3. Did not get much sleep last night. The insomnia is a female dog. I had a headache, but that is from lack of sleep. Slight night sweat last night, but no shivering and shaking. Again, I was able to walk down the stairs normally. Took my B12. At work now, calm through the traffic. The brain mist has lifted a little, but I expect it to return during the day. The burning feeling on the side of my face is still there, but I might be imagining that it is getting less. The shanking hands are still there, but no-where near as bad as they were when I was drinking. I feel strangely calm this morning, not anxious at all. I do find that I am feeling ravenous.

Forgot to add, the burping of the acetone taste is still there.

I must say that my smoking has come down. Four boxes down to two, so that is the next thing to tackle. My mind seems to be more focused on what I am doing and my emotions are not see-sawing all over the place like when I was drinking.

I am going to just take it one hour at a time now. I cant wait to get something to eat. Perhaps when I get home, I shall try some exercise. Maybe that will help with the insomnia.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Well I am almost at the end of day three.

I don't know how it was or is for others at this stage, but I spent the whole day famished. I ate a toasty, a big bag of crisps, a wrap and some wedges oh and a Portuguese roll. I have not had this sort of appetite since I was a teenager. I avoided anything to do with soda and only drank water. I did have one cup of coffee.

My concentration is definitely returning. I sat through a grueling three hour technical meeting where I was actually able to pull the other engineers to pieces.

As for the sweats, I did not experience it that much. I have a slight tremble in my hands now. Much better than yesterday. The burning sensation under the skin on the side of my face is still there, but is getting noticeably less. The headaches still come. I am not sure whether it is the lack of sleep or due to the insomnia or too many cigarettes. The brain mist is starting to lessen. I am still burping that acetone taste, but far less frequently. I did not have any panic or anxiety moments that I could perceive. I do notice a new sense of confidence that seems to have been gone for a long time now.

I have a new one to add - fatigue. By 2pm I was so shattered. It was really a mission to drive home. I am hoping that will play into my hands for tonight so that I might finally get some sort of sleep. Another new one has entered - emotion. You know where you are in tears for all the trouble etc you caused? Sort of like grief, but your reasoning mind soon takes over and let's you know that you are doing this to heal yourself.

I did have temptation to try just one when I got home and had eaten my dinner, so I just poured all the scotch down the drain.

So that is how it went for me. I hope you guys had a good one.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on another day ZaB and well done for tipping away the scotch too.

It was a bit weird at first for me as I was nearly always tired but couldn't sleep either - it seems to be a common thing.

Try to keep as occupied as possible, even though you are tired as it stops your mind thinking about booze

Old 04-09-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventurer

[QUOTE=ZaBoozer;5307628]Thanks saoutchick,

Last night was a real eye opener. I am not sure if the amounts we drank qualify us as heavy drinkers, but I am sure we we there. Scotch and water is a beast. I used to drink my tots in a 500ml glass topped with water, so I was always hydrated. The things we tell ourselves to BS ourselves.

I would have to say 500ml to 1000ml a day of scotch would qualify as a heavy drinker in my book. Good luck on your withdrawals and toss all that booze in the house immediately.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Zaboozer, I hope you poor that bottle out man. Use heavy drinkers can't have that temptation on a bad nite. Thinking of you and keep fighting
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Congratulations on another day ZaB and well done for tipping away the scotch too.

It was a bit weird at first for me as I was nearly always tired but couldn't sleep either - it seems to be a common thing.

Try to keep as occupied as possible, even though you are tired as it stops your mind thinking about booze

Hey saoutchik,

Ta man. I am reading a helluva lot as that seems to keep my mind occupied. Seems to help me.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sva777;5309563]
Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Thanks saoutchick,

I would have to say 500ml to 1000ml a day of scotch would qualify as a heavy drinker in my book. Good luck on your withdrawals and toss all that booze in the house immediately.
Ta sva,

I did toss all the booze out thanks.