Notices

Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did)

Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's nice to have somewhere to start, thank you!
Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is a lot of information in this thread and it's come from a collection of ideas and thoughts from all of our members. I know you will find inspiration from reading it.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Strategy

I agree. Having a strategy in place is key. Anticipate how you will react to someone offering you a drink when you are not expecting it. You will most certainly have better results this way.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great suggestions, thank you!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's so helpful. thank you for everything
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This link will give you information on various Recovery Programs in the U.S, Canada, Australia & New Zealand and the UK:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

This link contains personal experiences of how we stopped:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Following are some Specific Ideas for your Recovery Plan

1.Therapy can be useful – Group Therapy, Addiction Counsellor, One-on-One Counselling, CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

2.Reading (An awesome way to supplement your recovery). Here is our Book Thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

3.Guided Meditation, Mindful Meditation, Yoga & Pilates

4. Exercise – Walking is a great way to help recovery. It gets you outside, gets you moving, gets you connecting to your community, physically your body will feel better and it helps get you outside of your head. But, there are lots of other ways to fitness.
Here is a link to the Fitness, Health & Nutrition thread:
Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

5. A Gratitude Journal – Here is a link to our Gratitude Thread:
The Gratitude List - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

6. Chat Room – Many of our members make regular use of the Chat Room. Here is the link with information:
Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

7. Cravings? This is a great thread with tips for dealing with cravings:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

8. Urge Surfing – This link is really helpful for getting through the really tough minutes of urges to drink:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

9. Reaching Out – Be prepared with Phone #’s from people you can talk to if you’re having a hard time. Keep SR close by, we are open 24 hours a day. We do have a great, free App which you can download and keep with you on your phone.
free Apps
could someone send the link or name or ifo regarding free apps please ?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

The SR app has been turned into the mobile version of SR. You can search for it on your phone and download it. It's exactly the same website that you are looking at here.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks!

This is great Anna, thank you for the information!
Old 02-27-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

I just thought of a good acronym for PLAN. Putting 'later' as 'now'. What you think?
Old 04-23-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dana Point, California

Re: Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did)

testing the quick reply button<br>
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Spoiler

Old 05-13-2020, 10:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Spoiler

Old 05-13-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

this is a new reply
Old 05-13-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

this is a brand new test
Old 05-13-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Spoiler

Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Spoiler

Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Spoiler

Old 01-18-2021, 05:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm new here and am looking for a little guidance on posting to this forum. The instructions say, "no recovery method debates, or medical advice--just encouragement." Yet, I don't know any other way to encourage a newcomer than to share my experience of how to escape the hell that is active addiction -- and this seems impossible to do without sharing the methods I used (e.g., attending 90 A.A. meetings in 90 days, etc.). Then there's this particular thread, which seems like a lot of "method" advice. I'm probably over-complicating this, but I just want to make sure I can encourage newcomers on this forum by sharing the methods I used to get sober. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by novips View Post
I'm new here and am looking for a little guidance on posting to this forum. The instructions say, "no recovery method debates, or medical advice--just encouragement." Yet, I don't know any other way to encourage a newcomer than to share my experience of how to escape the hell that is active addiction -- and this seems impossible to do without sharing the methods I used (e.g., attending 90 A.A. meetings in 90 days, etc.). Then there's this particular thread, which seems like a lot of "method" advice. I'm probably over-complicating this, but I just want to make sure I can encourage newcomers on this forum by sharing the methods I used to get sober. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome novips.

Sharing what works for you is absolutely okay. Talking about how you recovered through AA is fine.

It's just the debating and arguing over recovery methods that is dis-allowed, especially in the Newcomers subforum. You can share your ESH, but respect that not everyone who has recovered will have had the same experience(s.)

The medical advice rule is the same. You can talk about what worked for you, but not make suggestions about supplements, OTC drugs, or prescription drugs. A basic, "See a doctor," is safe, but not saying, "You should take melatonin."
Old 01-20-2021, 04:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Originally Posted by novips View Post
Sharing your experience - what worked for you - is fine novips.
'My way is better than your way' or 'your way just plain sucks' is not.

That's pretty much what the rule means by recovery method debates.

Similarly you probably won't go wrong with the medical advice rule if you stick to your experience - i.e. what worked or was helpful to you.

D