Notices

Boozing out if control

Old 03-28-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boozing out if control

Hi to all. First time here. My drinking has gotten way out of control. I am not an everyday drinker but a once a week binge drinker. I drink so much that I make very bad choices and am losing friends as they are sick of my crap. I pour so much alcohol into me that I am still drunk the whole next day, and take 3 or 4 days of feeling like **** before I come good. It is poisoning my body and my mind. I have alcohol induced anxiety for days, and generally feel depressed and ashamed at my behavior whilst drunk. I really need to do something about this and get sober before it totally destroys my life. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Greggo! You can lean on us for support while you navigate your path to sobriety, and a new happier life.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Good decision.

I wasn't an everyday drinker either... A lot like you.... Until a decade or two later.....

Best to choose sobriety now!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! You've come to a good place for support and useful info. There are many programs out there to help you stop drinking, AA is the best known of them and is available in many locations.

I'm glad you joined us. I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Court jester

Welcome Greggo. First things first. Stop drinking. It is no longer an option. If you are concerned about withdrawals, seek out a doctor. Second, find support. You will find much of that here, but I would also recommend some local support, perhaps AA meetings would be a good first place to go.

Congratulations on this first and most difficult step of reaching out.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Greggo!!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Greggo
Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
leb

Hi Greggo,
That could be my story. You'll find a lot of help here at SR. I'm 3 months sober today.

The anxiety and lack of confidence have fallen away and I feel better than I ever have. My self esteem is hugely improved.

I have never been into exercise and am overweight but losing it slowly since cutting out alcohol; I have started lifting weights and walking. The weight lifting gives me a huge buzz for the whole day.

Keep on reading and tapping out your feelings on here. It is possible believe me

Old 03-28-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of us don't know how to say no, and for those of us who cannot stop drinking once we start, abstinence is quite likely the best protection for ourselves. I thought for a while it wasn't, but I was wrong. I don't er...didn't (I'm not sure if I've earned the right of past tense) drink everyday either and I used to use that as an excuse.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Greggo. Lots of support and encouragement here.

Do you have a plan to avoid those binging situations?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Greggo

D
Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. I was a binge drinker. I drank about 2-3 days a week but when I did I really hit it hard and I too had the worst anxiety for days. I am actually going through the anxiety right now as I am at day 4 of sobriety. I hope that you and I can stop because everyone says that the anxiety gets much better after awhile of being sober.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome greggo! Glad you found SR. Tons of support and good people here.

Welcome
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Welcome. I was a binge drinker. I drank about 2-3 days a week but when I did I really hit it hard and I too had the worst anxiety for days. I am actually going through the anxiety right now as I am at day 4 of sobriety. I hope that you and I can stop because everyone says that the anxiety gets much better after awhile of being sober.
It does get better, I was drinking just like how you say you were.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Please understand that nearly all of your current problems are due, or worsened, as a result of your drinking! There are few problems in life that can be solved by quitting one thing.. that is the good news. The bad news is that addiction is an insidious beast that will require you to stand up against with all of your might. Through various seasons you will be tempted in various ways.. maybe after a certain amount of time you will feel like you never had a problem.. or it just got out of control.. These are all tricks of the ego and anchors that this addiction will try to leverage itself with. But there is no other choice my friend. Before I quit.. I lost all of my friends (though not solely due to me/alcohol) but thankfully retained my job and everything else. So I didn't have to suffer as much as others but I can tell you that I had no hope and was wasting my life away. At nearly 8 months sober I am in the best shape I have ever been in and working to master 3d animation as a passion and means to a secondary income. This would have never happened if I hadn't quit. I also find myself looked up to by many and literally the opposite of where I came from, where you are now.

I promise you.. quit alcohol now.. be easy on yourself.. eat ice cream.. watch movies.. dont drink.. stay off facebook or other ways that you may compare yourself to others.. don't drink.. after a month or so get some light exercise and make it a routine.. dont drink.. increase your routine and you will feel the power of the endorphins in your brain and the strength in your muscles.. dont drink.. your confidence will increase and you will feel suddenly unsubmerged and able to maneuver this crazy world.

This is a rough world.. dont kid yourself.. many people are selfish and lost but wear a guise of false confidence.. dont be fooled by this in comparisons.. feel true confidence and be good to yourself to others..

be free my friend..

be free
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I have read many posts on this site since I joined yesterday. Lots of very helpful stuff. The common thread I see is that it is initially difficult but does get easier with time, and that it is definitely worth it. I know I have to totally change my thought patterns, and not allow myself to think I can moderate my drinking. I have tried that many times but it NEVER even comes close to working. As soon as i have that first drink, it is like a switch is thrown and all sensible thought goes out the window. That is the main thought that I have to change.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Greggo.

This is a fantastic place to start your journey. Read and post often. It helps a great deal.

SoberComposer has written a fantastic post above, I agree with all of it. Beating this addiction is very difficult but very doable. To succeed make it your number one priority.

Best of luck