Notices

Hello all

Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Cravings past. Now I got a call back from my Doctor to discuss the results of the liver enzyme blood test. He said it wasn't urgent, which is a good sign right?

Anyways - that is this Friday. They will do another blood test again I'm sure. Now that I've been sober for 14 days it will read better than 4 days I guess.

I'm sure 30 - 90 days sober would help even more!
Anyways - nervous about discovering how much carnage I have wrot upon my body in the last 5 years.... I think the longest stint of sobriety I've managed to keep in the last 10-15 years is 6 months. So we shall see how things go.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm cheering for you and hoping you have good results to share on Friday. It's the unknown that is so hard, I am betting you can handle the news and handle it sober!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The body can heal from a lot as long as we stop poisoning it.

I know you can make it through this weekend. It's normal to have thoughts about drinking but they are only thoughts. We all have them. Just acknowledge the thought, like, "Hm, a drinking thought. Well, there you go," and then dismiss it with, "I don't drink."

The thoughts will come and go, just like all thoughts do. They don't mean anything. You probably have all kinds of thoughts every day that you don't act upon. The brain randomly throws stuff up all the time.

You don't have to act on the thoughts. They are just habits that you can break.

Keep it going.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Onwards to day 15. I have momentum now so I think I will make it through the weekend and beyond.

I've become wiser too so this time through perhaps I will not make the same mistake which has led to drinking in the past.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 16.
Going for a walk. That can help.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Amen to that! I'm on day 15 myself and walks have been a huge part of my daily routine for the last week or so. In fact, I'm leaving for one in just a few minutes.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Hi and welcome Hadmyshare. In early sobriety I what helped me was to stay out in front of situations…manage them as best as possible before they arose. For me that included being really specific about where I spent time and who I spent time with. If a situation was going to put me in an uncomfortable spot I felt it easier to avoid it. It's not always possible, but it is a form of taking action, of owning the decision to get sober.

People pleasing got me in a lot of trouble. That behavior never served me well, and it is one of the areas I have focused on most. My default was a shrug and a "oh well" and drink.

It sounds like you took care of trying to make your friend happy at your own expense. It is ok to let other people decide how they feel when you take care of yourself. In fact I have come to see that in a way taking care of myself, and giving others the room to find their way is actually a very respectful act for both of us.

I am really glad you posted tonight and kept the connection here. I felt lonely at first, and like I was locked in a solitary battle…me vs. the bottle. When I engaged with others who understood and supported me the bottle didn't stand a chance. Welcome to SR!
Hope it's ok to jump in on this one, (I'm new here too and need to get used to the protocol and stuff) - but just wanted to say extra thanks for writing about the people pleasing thing. For me I think it's how people are comfortable seeing me - always up for a laugh, drink, being daft, being drunk.
I've got through a good few weeks now and I've told some folk I'm on a health kick, others that I'm on tablets and just a few I've been honest with. ...... In return I've had a mixture of support / uncomfortable reactions/ silence and shock .... but that's got to be their business right? I think my business has to be staying sober. Easier said than done.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I got some preliminary results from the blood test in. I can't really say that they're good. More work will definitely need to be done to figure out how bad things actually are.

For the first time I really can sort of understand how some people may just go back to drinking to mute reality.

That wont happen to me. I care too much about myself and my children. I can't really say that I didn't expect the outcome to be poor. Hopefully I can make some important changes in my life that will give me more time to work with in this life.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Re-Member

If your drinking is anything like my drinking was then it wouldn't mute reality for very long before reality was just screaming all the louder to make sure it was heard no matter what.

Stay steady and listen to whatever the doctors are telling you. We're here for any support you need.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

The human body is pretty amazing - once we stop poisoning ourselves it can renew itself to an amazing extent.

You're on the right track hadmyshare

D
Old 05-22-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

The human body is pretty amazing - once we stop poisoning ourselves it can renew itself to an amazing extent.

You're on the right track hadmyshare

D
Old 05-22-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Stopping the poisoning helps, so does changing bad habits into good ones, walking helps, a bit of exercise, quality time with children is nice, if they're not too demanding, or an outdoor game, you're doing great... How many days now?
Did I see 2 weeks there?
Keep going, you can do this!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 05-23-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 17 now.
So yes 2 weeks has elapsed.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congratulations on day 17, hadmyshare!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hadmyshare View Post
Day 17 now.
So yes 2 weeks has elapsed.
Well done. You've got some good momentum going now. And some good attitude too
It gets better and better.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

17 days - what good news.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

18 days and insomnia!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Headaches and low energy checking in on day 18.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

18 days is fab, getting closer to the 3 week mark now... Insomnia is a bugger; maybe watch the caffeine intake and do some sort of relaxation routine before bed, hope things improve as you are doing really well with this!
Keep on keeping on... You're worth it!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 05-25-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 19 check-in. More blood tests today.