Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Non, I wanted to say that's awesome that work used your suggestion. Had to have. Too coincidental otherwise. And be exuberant! That's something we all could use more of.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
It's not Sunday morn but, this is a different kind of classical music video, a different kind of flashmob.

Nice.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Off to sleep. Ill see u in the morning Saturday and yes it will be a sober. Im finding my joy in sobriety and lately in blogging. Who knew!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover on a Saturday morning is just the best! Means I have the whole day ahead of me with a clear head and not just muddling through until drinking again.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
It's been tough but this thread in particular and SR in general have been invaluable.
Miss Ruby... I just want you to know you are loved and such a big part of this weekend thread. Thank you for all the support you provide me and others here!

There are too many to call out but you know who you are as you come here and participate or do a simple check in each week. It means a lot to others as we see you all and what you are up to in an average weekend. The progress you make or the learnings you share. You provide a safe and caring spot of positivity for the newcomers and for me!

Old 01-31-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Livelikegold and Lizella sober morning never get old. Never!

So good to be up early this morning but very cold and windy and I just can't bring myself to get to the gym. Just don't feel it. I will have to go this week a few times more. Funny how I feel so guilty for not doing something good for myself.

I made and ate a whole package of bacon yesterday. That's on my mind to feel a bit guilty for. And now no gym. Ugggghhhhh.

But with being flanked by to snoring kitties I have to say I can get past the guilt pretty easily.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I made and ate a whole package of bacon yesterday.
I did that last weekend. Made biscuits and cooked a pound of bacon Sunday. Had eaten it all by Tuesday. Nom nom nom. I'm not worried. My new job is restoring my boyish figure.

After a month of steady physical work, I'm getting in shape and in the mood for a backpacking weekend. We have a holiday in February and, weather cooperating, it's a great time for backpacking. Three days in the woods, trout fishing...could be doable.

Let's get some more Joy!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I love Kirk Franklin!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday everyone! This is my normal leave time for the gym on weekends, but because it's pretty cold and windy, I'm taking the morning off like Weasel. Also, don't want to lose my parking space near my apartment, apt a third are being used for dirty, snow mountains. Maybe later today I'll suit up and walk. Brrr weatherbug, had the 'real feel' as -6°!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by pumpkinny View Post
Brrr weatherbug, had the 'real feel' as -6°!
Years ago, I interviewed with Jockey, the clothing company. The plan was six months in North Carolina, six months in the Dominican Republic, then on to the corporate headquarters in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Where it gets to about -60 wind chills at times.

No.

Nope.

Y'ain't got enough money.

Survival kit in my car for the daily commute? See the above, starting at: No.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Really appreciating this thread! After a productive workday Friday, had dinner with a pal and turned in early. Was interesting to see all of the wine on the other tables and how rare it is for me NOT to order wine when I'm out to dinner. It was made easier by my non-drinking fellow galpal (sticking with them this weekend and I have plenty thankfully). Now I feel great and this weekend plan is to meet up with another pal for some girltalk - and reading the posts on wonderful meals being made I'm going to do some cooking as well. Quiet weekend, no Super Bowl parties - just enjoying the joy this weekend of getting back to me - looking better, feeling better - being better.

One question weekenders - I am still waking up quite a bit at night. Now, I still feel more rested than when I'm drinking - and I'm fine during the day but then need to turn in early. How long does that typically last, or at least what was your experience?

I know people that are taking off Monday after the SB to recover. I'm glad that won't be me and thanks to all of you for helping me get there!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I made and ate a whole package of bacon yesterday.
I am a happily married man - stop your flirting!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I am a happily married man - stop your flirting!
Old 01-31-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello everyone just popping in to wish everyone a peaceful fun saturday
Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Yankees... I was sleeping better around the two week time frame. But everything shifted on me. Where before I went to bed early and slept late for an uncomfortable nights sleep. I now go to bed early and wake up around 4:30. I get up right off and feel rested and ready! Guess I am a real morning person.

I was always an early drinker too. I was at the bar at 6:30 am. Several Portland bars open that early for the fisherman and night shift folks to come in. Some mornings I was there from being up all night. Would often have to look at the crowd and you could pick out the all nighters.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Yankee -- Sleep gets better with time. If it continues to be a problem, you might want to talk to your doctor about it. There are some vitamins and minerals that can be low in folks who've recently quit drinking. I started out taking supplements for them early on, and it did make a difference. But then I slaked off, started to forget to take them regularly, and I started waking up in the middle of the night again. Lesson learned, I'm taking them again as suggested by my doctor.

Also, if I do wake up with something specific on my mind that is troubling me, I will sometime get up for a short time, have a cup of tea and write in my journal about whatever it was. Just dumping it out on a blank page helps me clear my mind and then go back to sleep.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yankees2015 View Post
One question weekenders - I am still waking up quite a bit at night. Now, I still feel more rested than when I'm drinking - and I'm fine during the day but then need to turn in early. How long does that typically last, or at least what was your experience?
Hi yankees. My sleep is still disturbed. Mostly early morning waking. I think it's probably related to brain changes as a result of withdrawal. I read magnesium supplements help. I've been using the time to read and not worrying about it. Hopefully it will pass!

Best wishes,

B
Old 01-31-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Yankees, it all depends on the individual and history. But as long as you are rested, don't worry too much about it. You are probably used to having interrupted sleep over the years and it never occurred to you. When you do wake up, just lay there and try to meditate on it. Do some breathing exercises and try a body scan. A body scan is starting at you head and taking in a breath as if it were traveling all through your body - you control where it goes - as if the air was filling up you head, then let it out slowly as if the air was emanating from your head on the way out you nose or mouth. Really feel it and concentrate on the different parts of the body as you progress through it.
Work to your shoulders and down to the tips of your toes. You can also imagine that the air is coming in and exiting through your toes or finger tips. Variations. Look into it.

Trach, I am reminded that ode to joy was the first tune I learned how to read on my mandolin - 12 bars, but, I was making music!

I'm on day 6 nicotine free - had serious cravings last night. Quite conscious of it today but nowhere near the way I felt a couple days ago.
It's cold here - COLD!
You guys are my heroes.

how about this kid...
Old 01-31-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Help I am a returnee to these forums! I haven't had a drink since Monday, but cos it's the weekend I have the urge I know it's just an ingrained habit, but any words of wisdom will be helpful right now
Old 01-31-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Just remember an urge is only v an urge and how good it will feel Mon to say you have a week.