Notices

When will I stop eating so much???

Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I stop eating so much???

I cannot stop eating anything and everything!!!

Will this stop? And if so, when?

Going on a little over a month sober and a few weeks quit smoking.

Please tell me this will pass!!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does even out eventually. I ate like a horse once my appetite returned. I think I was at about three months or so when it started leveling out. Everyone's different though. I didn't eat when I was drinking so my body was returning to a healthier weight.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suzie, I'm the same - carbs and sweet things mostly. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, with fingers crossed for both of us that there are some encouraging replies - otherwise I'll be the size of a house before long!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! I am ready to buy some new clothes because I am feeling better about myself, etc. and nothing I currently have fits. BUT with all this eating I don't want to get clothes and then have them not fit.

Just struggling. Ready to make some changes, but they will have to wait until my never ending need for food event of 2015 is over, so I can exercise and then buy new clothes!!

It is so bad and strange. I bought sardines. Have not ate them since I was a kid. I bought them and ate them along with sooooo many other things.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Suzieq i put on weight when i got sober i needed to but its quite normal

I went on a diet around month 8/9 as i needed to enjoy my food for a while

There were times in my drinking days i would go without eating for a week so it was natural in sobriety for my appetite to come back

but to answer your question yes it does balance out

spk soon bud
Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too ate like a horse when i quit drinking and it took me about 14 days to level off, I have been told that since alcohol has so much sugar, your brain sends a hunger response in order to get that rush of glucose that it used to get from alcohol. Your body is trying to level out but it takes time. I started jjust eating healthy options like blue berries and other fruits which seemed to help my craving for carbs.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Took me about two weeks as well. I am sure you'd have to gain a significant amount of weight to offset the damage from alcohol.

I still ingest enough caffeine to keep an entire army awake though.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too! I'm just day 11 but can't stop eating. I went without food when drinking too though so I figured my body was just compensating for that
I wonder when it'll stop too, I'm not overly concerned about weight but spending all my money on food! Haha
Hope you're feeling ok, I think it's normal
Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Suzie when you find the answer tell me please. I have a comfort thing from eating and drinking, and the drinking became an addictive issue as well. The trouble is you don't do away with the comfort food thing because you can't give up eating like you can drinking.

Just a thought which helped me a bit, try fruit teas and other low cal drinks as a substitute for say ice cream.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm just now starting to level out and it's been almost three months. I did put on some weight but in a really healthy way. When I was drinking I would usually only have one meal a day...sometimes not that. I am at a much healthier body mass now.

I say enjoy it while you can and think about how your body is using all those calories healing itself.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My experience is the same as Axiom's: around 3 months things started to even out. The first month was nutty. I had been eating paleo for a few years (minus the wine, of course; funny how I didn't count that in my healthy eating plan), so the sugar and carb cravings took me by surprise. I ate a lot of pizza and ice cream. Still get them, but it is now more of an occasional thing. I tried not to worry about it too much since I needed to do what I needed to do to stay sober. And my weight really didn't change. I'm more active and energetic, and of course alcohol has plenty of calories in its own right.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same here - eating everything in sight. I'm on day 34, I've started doing some exercise classes at the local community hall to see if I can shift some weight. I've not put on any weight but I've not lost either. Hoping it'll settle soon.
Xx
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so hungry all the time too!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is some emerging evidence that eating too many carbohydrates after quitting drinking makes withdrawal symptoms (and cravings) rather more difficult. Both increase serotonin in many people and some people have a tendency to increase their intake of carbs when they quit drinking in order to get something of the buzz alcohol provides. This can set up the carb highs and lows and during the lows (it is hypothesised) cravings can arise. I am just about to begin a very low carb diet as part of my attempt to reduce cravings.

Carbohydrates Connected to Alcoholism - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It does even itself out. Besides, the calories from food are a lot nicer than the wasted calories from booze xxx