Notices

Hello again.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello again.

This is my first post since July of last year. I wasn't ready to commit to sobriety at that time. I wanted to learn how to moderate successfully, but moderation is something I am not capable of, so here I am again. I haven't had a drink in 25 days. Taking my sobriety one day at a time, one moment at a time, seems to be very helpful. Muting the voice of alcohol (which was the voice of a liar) has helped me begin to address ongoing and new issues. This is not an easy path, but I believe it can be worthwhile.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Come back, scrappy, and congratulations on 25 sober days!!!!

Muting that voice and kicking the AV to the curb is very, very worthwhile. Good job.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrappy22 View Post
This is my first post since July of last year. I wasn't ready to commit to sobriety at that time. I wanted to learn how to moderate successfully, but moderation is something I am not capable of, so here I am again. I haven't had a drink in 25 days. Taking my sobriety one day at a time, one moment at a time, seems to be very helpful. Muting the voice of alcohol (which was the voice of a liar) has helped me begin to address ongoing and new issues. This is not an easy path, but I believe it can be worthwhile.
I'm nowhere near 25 days, but I'm kind of curious to know how you did it. I'm not too keen to the "traditional" methods, and if you've managed to break free without AA I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Scrappy

D
Old 01-25-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you back here with us Scrappy. You sound motivated this time. We know you can do it.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

philly76,

I've found that traditional methods (specifically AA) don't work for me, either. Instead, I deliberately plan out my days. On a white board For example, I'll wake up around 6 or 7 tomorrow morning, (try to) meditate for a few minutes, shower, make coffee and breakfast, catch up on e-mail, and go to work. And I write all of that down, even though it seems automatic. While I'm on a break at work or in the minutes before I clock out, I figure out whether I need to accomplish anything before I go home (pick up groceries, stop at the bank, get a new work shirt, etc.). If it's necessary, I'll run the errand then go straight home. I was a bar drinker, so avoiding bars is my challenge. I know I don't HAVE to stop at a bar on my way home. Or on the way to work. Or ever. I could CHOOSE to, but I don't HAVE to. I choose to go straight home and make a decent meal for dinner or watch a movie or start that book I've been meaning to read or blog a little. For me, it's about...intention and details. What are you struggling with the most?

Last edited by scrappy22; 01-25-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: meant to address message to one member
Old 01-25-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Scrappy nice to meet you
Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hello scrappy glad you are back and well done on 25 days!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome back
Old 01-26-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrappy22 View Post
philly76,

I've found that traditional methods (specifically AA) don't work for me, either. Instead, I deliberately plan out my days. On a white board For example, I'll wake up around 6 or 7 tomorrow morning, (try to) meditate for a few minutes, shower, make coffee and breakfast, catch up on e-mail, and go to work. And I write all of that down, even though it seems automatic. While I'm on a break at work or in the minutes before I clock out, I figure out whether I need to accomplish anything before I go home (pick up groceries, stop at the bank, get a new work shirt, etc.). If it's necessary, I'll run the errand then go straight home. I was a bar drinker, so avoiding bars is my challenge. I know I don't HAVE to stop at a bar on my way home. Or on the way to work. Or ever. I could CHOOSE to, but I don't HAVE to. I choose to go straight home and make a decent meal for dinner or watch a movie or start that book I've been meaning to read or blog a little. For me, it's about...intention and details. What are you struggling with the most?
That sounds like a pretty clever way to go at it. I know people who've used similar techniques to quit smoking, where you'd basically make yourself log every cigarette you have with a written reason as to why you "need" it. I never really thought of using the logging tactic with drinking. I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm struggling with passing the liquor store on my way home. I have to keep myself occupied until they close or it's really temping to grab a bottle of wine "just so I have it." Logging the intention and details, as you describe it, would be a good way for me to look at a written piece of paper and realize what a jack *** I'm being if it says "liquor store" on my schedule.

I'm not good talking with big groups. I can talk one-on-one about drinking, and I'd probably see a therapist if I could afford it. This seems like a good idea for someone like me, thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job Scrappy!

I love the idea of logging every drink. I think i'm gonna try that too. I'm just starting to hear my AV voice too. It just so weird. What I friggin' liar she is!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scrappy, good for you for knowing what you need to do. Moderating didn't work for me either. Recognizing the AV as you are, and dismissing it, is a big step in your recovery.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back Scrappy!!