Notices

"Firewater" and the need for an alternative

Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Thumbs down "Firewater" and the need for an alternative

Hi everyone

So I have a drinking problem. Many of us do or we wouldn't be here. Some people find it easier to quit than others. Some find it more difficult. I have been able to go weeks at a time without so much as touching a drop but for the past few months, I have been suffering from bacterial prostatitis (a male problem) and one thing that is a HUGE no-no when you have this condition is beer. In fact, you can drink wine, liquor and just about anything else but beer because it severely aggravates the condition.

I have always been a beer drinker so when I did drink, I always drank beer and outside of being a bit chatty or wanting to debate the news or something, etc, for the most part I was a "happy drunk"...usually.

Since I was no longer able to drink beer because of my condition, I decided to start drinking gin instead. Gin is much stronger and when I drank it I would become a monster (violent, combative, loud, overbearing, argumentative, etc). Picture the typical troublemaker/brawl starter in a bar and that was me (sort of). It got so bad that I nearly destroyed the 24 year long relationship between my best friend and myself. I said and did mean things to him even when he was trying to be nice to me and I would always feel awful later on and even cried about it in private. I would repay kindness with meanness and just destroy his whole day for no reason at all. Just crazy!.

Anyway, the bottom line here is that I SHOULD NOT be drinking at all but for those times when I DO drink, I need to find something that doesn't make me crazy or act like "fire water". I realize that the length of time a person has been drinking, the amount they drink, what they drink and that person's mood/personality all have something to do with how they might behave while intoxicated but I would like to know what I can drink that won't effect me the way gin does. Wine?. I just don't know and I know I probably won't get an answer because this forum is about sobriety - not "safe drinks" but please realize that I am only human and at some time I MAY drink again so I just want something that doesn't affect me like the gin did.

- Thank you
Old 04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Hi everyone

So I have a drinking problem.

Anyway, the bottom line here is that I SHOULD NOT be drinking at all but for those times when I DO drink, I need to find something that doesn't make me crazy or act like "fire water". I realize that the length of time a person has been drinking, the amount they drink, what they drink and that person's mood/personality all have something to do with how they might behave while intoxicated but I would like to know what I can drink that won't effect me the way gin does. Wine?. I just don't know and I know I probably won't get an answer because this forum is about sobriety - not "safe drinks" but please realize that I am only human and at some time I MAY drink again so I just want something that doesn't affect me like the gin did.

- Thank you
Hello and welcome to SR...

You have admitted to having a drinking problem...You want something safe to drink.

All I can tell you is there is no safe drink for me...I turn into a lunatic whether it is beer or vodka, whatever..

Glad you are here...Keep posting
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

I dont have an answer for you, but you posted here...thats a start....
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you don't have a drinking problem.

Maybe you are an alcoholic.

I dunno.........uh, hmmm.....

Try water.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Need4Change,
sorry...no answers for you either - I've tried everything - beer, wine, spirits - if it's got alcohol in it, it bit me on the behind....

D