Notices

Newly sober

Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober

Hello, everyone. I am currently 6 days sober, and just the thought of attempting sobriety has brought some relief. I have attempted to go to about ten AA meetings, every time bringing on anxiety attacks while sitting in the parking lot, ending up with me driving out. Any advice or heads up as to going into my first meeting as to relieve some of the anxiety?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on starting your sober journey.

Know that almost everyone in that meeting felt the exact same way as you do. They don't bite. You don't have to say anything if you don't want. Just go inside and take a seat. You will be among friends who understand what your are going through.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 6 days and welcome to SR. Anxiety is very common early on, it will get better though. Regarding the meetings, call ahead and see if someone will meet you outside prior to the meeting...it is common and sometimes helps to ease the fear.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, swerve, to SR.

I don't have AA experience but I like what LBrain and Scott said ^^^^^.

Congrats on 6 days!!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much. I probably should have asked in the original topic, but also, if you have issues with both drugs and alcohol, do you attend both NA and AA, or just choose one and stick with it? Thank you for the encouragement and help!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by swervebig View Post
Thank you all very much. I probably should have asked in the original topic, but also, if you have issues with both drugs and alcohol, do you attend both NA and AA, or just choose one and stick with it? Thank you for the encouragement and help!
I would just try to go to as many meetings as you. It does not matter if they are NA or AA, the fundamentals are the same! Just depends on your schedule. I know in my AA meetings a lot of people have difficulty with both vices!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! And congrats on 6 days sober.

You can try both AA and NA, and go to whichever one fits better for you (or go to both). I go to several different recovery groups.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

What Scott said. Call the local AA office and talk to someone. Talk to them multiple times, that's ok. Then meet them one-on-one for coffee somewhere. When you are really comfortable with them, then go to a meeting with them, OR have that person invite 1 or 2 members of AA (or NA) along on one of your later outings, but only when you are comfortable, (so that you can meet some of the other folks from the group). At some point, take one or more of these folks to that first meeting.

Fear can be quite an obstacle, and it sounds like you have more than your fair share of it. Take it one step at a time, in small pieces that you can handle, and work up to that first meeting gradually. Tell the AA or NA folks that your goal is to get to your first meeting without fear overwhelming you, and tell them your plan. If the first person you speak to cannot help, I'll give you 10 to 1 odds they will find someone who will.

All the best.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think the biggest fear we have in going to AA is within ourselves. I mean, think about it, it's like owning up to our shame and disgrace. Like, really?! I need AA?!

The people are so nice and kind. That's not the issue.

The issue is the unknown. Swerve, you will never know what is beyond that door unless you go through it.

The other side of that door could lead to a beautiful thing. I say, go for it! Don't hesitate. Get out of the car and walk to that door as though it were nothing more than going to Cub or Menards.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on six days! I understand the feeling of fear of going to that first meeting...it's holding me back from going and yet it's all in my head.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for the advice! If they are even half as helpful as you all are, I am comfortable walking into a meeting on my own. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep Im with you completely. I found it very difficult getting through the door to my first meeting. Was sweating and heart racing but was so relieved to find everyone was very kind and supportive. I like the idea as others have suggested of calling ahead and meeting up with one or two people prior to your first meeting, that definitely would have helped.
My local AA groups are delighted to see new faces. It creates a chance to help others which is central to how it all works
Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your 6 says!

Old 12-21-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Swervebig well done on 6 days

youl find a ton of advice support & guidance

Nice to meet you

I am nearly 4 years clean from cocaine and 17 months 1 week sober

There are lots of diffrent meetings to choose from but i suggest a newcomers mtn at NA & AA

Nice to meet you
Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have anxiety attacks going to a meeting. I had my husband drive me and pick me up the last time. Can your SO or a friend take you to meetings until you start to feel comfortable?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've concealed this issue from everyone I know, pretty much always blaming my not feeling well, etc.. on things other than alcohol and drugs, so no one really knows about my problems. I really don't plan on letting them know until I go to some meetings and get more comfortable, so I don't really want a friend or anyone to bring me to a meeting. Sorry, not sure what SO is?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

SO is significant other

xa-speakers.org and listen to Sandy B. Saturday Morning Live, begin with step 1 talk.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I recently just started going to AA. Loneliness I'm sobriety was killing me, especially this time of year. Just sitting in a room with other alcoholics is so comforting to me because I don't feel like I have to hide anything. Try it out. It does help
Old 12-21-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the helpful advice, I finally grew the courage and went to a meeting, and it was an amazing group of people, all there to help, and definitely already don't feel like I am doing this alone. I already am excited for tomorrow to attend another, so thank you all very much!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great to hear that, swerve! meetings always made me feel like I was a part of something bigger than just me. I'm happy for you!