Notices

Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Well it's food season! Ok everyday is food season but this time of year we have cravings of many kinds. Stresses of many kinds get a bit heightened.

Trying to recover during this time of year takes some extra planning. There are foods we can go to as craving busters!

ICCC - Trach's favorite... Ice Cream Cures Cravings... I love mint chocolate chip... Turkey Hill brand!

So this weekend, as we gather to chat about how we live soberly on weekends, lets call out our favorite foods that help with cravings.

We can maybe get ideas of what to bring to pot lucks so we have a secret way to help ourselves while at these forced socialization events.

Are you ready?

Welcome to your sober weekend!!!!!!!

*Ring Ring*

Old 12-18-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh boy oh boy, I actually wasn't going to reply until later. But then I saw that nobody had shotgun.
It's like rattling a fence with a stick teasing a barking dog.
Well, just got out of bed - . Went to see the Hobbit last night. Been so long since I was at a movie. Reclining leather chairs - like lazy boy chairs. Stopped for sushi on the way there. Movie ended at midnite. I did notice some kid got a popcorn and two small drinks for $16.50 in front of me. And the gal squirted on what seemed like 8 0z of "Golden Flavored poppcorn Flavor" Do you want butter? Yeah, drown it in whatever that mystery juice is. I spent the 3.50 for a water. I don't know when seats in movie theaters were assigned/reserved seating. Makes sense though, I bought the tickets more than 24 hours in advance and got 'good' seats.
Stayed up soaked in hot tub under the stars, then watched comedy on netflix. So hitting crawling into bed around 2.40.
Coffee and fig newtons to start.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Steak. Steak. Bacon. More steak. And oatmeal raisin cookies.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haagen Daz chocolate chocolate chip OMG!

and bacon too (just not together...eeewwwwwwwww)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

70% Black Chocolate and a cup of White tea.

It crushes my cravings like Hulk on a baby kitten. Yikes!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday! Selfishly I'm not happy it's here because it means my vacation is drawing nearer to the end but I'm happy yet thread is up and running.

I finally cleaned the fish tank. It looks marvelous. And I got the tree up and decorated. All good things.

Food? Ice cream is a definite. I'm thinking healthy stuff. There is a lunch for all employees next week and since I didn't pay to participate I'm making something. I have in mind a marinated cauliflower salad. It's healthy and full of good stuff including dill. I love dill. Such a clean flavor.

So I'm in. It's been kind of a rough week not getting as much done as I wanted. But that's always the case. Meeting a friend for lunch today. She turned 50 yesterday. And I have another friend who is turning fifty in a couple days. Gosh. Milestones. So I will see you all later.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A thick strawberry banana smoothie, I know, more of a drink, but healthy and fills me up.

I have to make an appearence at an event Saturday night. Probably about 30 people total and 10 or so extremely heavy users. Got my escape plan all ready in place, going to leave very early before the craziness starts
Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I dont get cravings anymore but when i did

Ben n Jerrys, Haribo + Roysters bubble chips oh and these chocs called toffifee

Riding roof always bit windy but i couldnt give a hoot lol
Old 12-18-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey all. I was thinking about posting first, but something about putting raw broccoli and light ranch dressing just didn't seem right when dealing with cravings (even though it is my go to). I also like drinking different varieties of tea (carrot cake, gingerbread, coconut truffle) and drinking different flavored seltzer waters when I have cravings.

I think I am going to work most of the weekend on things I need to get done. Not terribly exciting, but I don't think I am that good at just relaxing.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In like ...something.

I'm going to be less post-y about food.

Lots of us addicted types also have food issues. I belong to a fitness website too, and one of the things I try not to do is treat food like an Oh My God.

So, ya'll have fun with this! I'm trying to stay in my size tens at age 60.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just relaxing is a hard skill to practice Strategery. I'm still working on it. My mind and my hands are always busy doing something. It's been difficult to just be. Ants in the pants

I'm going to revisit the tree decoration. Little Miss Ruby apparently didn't know to make sure the ornaments were firmly in place. I was just reading this post and I heard the crash of a glass ornament shattering on the floor, no cats in sight. Time for the broom and dust pan.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brain, how was the hobbit? I know I will go anyway but want to be prepared. I thought the last one was only okay.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Bacon chocolate chip cookies with cinnamon maple glaze.
Attached Images
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ya**!

I want those in my mouth. Now.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ruby, I guess it's hard for me to judge the Hobbit since I can't remember the last time I watched a movie on a huge screen right in front of me with all the sound etc. I thought it was pretty good, but near the end it got a little too hoakie during some of the sequences - a little too cartoonish for me. And they must have realized they were running out of time unless they were going to make a part four so it kinda jumped a little. Other than that. I'd recommend it. It is very violent. Not for kids not used to that sort of thing.
+
I think bacon would make a **** sandwich taste good.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The Hobbit was OK, but not as delightful as I had hoped. Although I am a huge Tolkien geek I was enjoying some of the additional story lines that were added in for the movies (Tauriel, for one). I was dissatisfied with how those side stories unwound at the end.

I would give specifics, but I don't want to taint your movie-going experience. Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone -glad this thread is up and running. Looking forward to the weekend. Right now I am avoiding food indulging cause I'm recovering from a stomach bug. Being real careful what I eat.
Binimiblue, I agree with you about the food glorification. It's a tough one for me since I love to cook and bake. But if it helps with cravings, so be it. I try to not over due it.
OK-i hope you all have a great day. Catchya later.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

I might invest in some of the books by tolkien

The Silmarillion i think i want to read
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Bacon chocolate chip cookies with cinnamon maple glaze.
That ain't right!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I love a good cup of tea. I find that it really calms me down and relaxes me.

Ice cream is my go to favorite food for cravings.

I feel like I'm getting my life back into something manageable. Things are finally getting less crazy at work and I can turn my attention to managing the holidays for my family. Tomorrow is son's 12th birthday. He's getting a Tracfone (a GREAT deal on QVC today) and a surprise visit from his best friend (they go to different schools now) who's also sleeping over. We're going out for pizza and then to see the new Night at the Museum movie.

Today, I'm taking my daughter shopping after school for the gifts for her friends.

I had a great conversation with my dad this week and my uncle made it though his surgery for cancer with no sign that there has been any spreading. So, good news all around. Life is changing now that everyone is getting older but I'm working on acceptance.

Look forward to spending the weekend with you!