Notices

Going to detox for the first time -scared

Old 12-05-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to detox for the first time -scared

Monday morning, I'll be going to the area detox. I'm a bit scared, and have feelings of guilt and shame because I still have that thought in my head that I should be able to just pull up those proverbial boot straps. Much of my family doesn't understand and worry about my job (I have good job despite no education and I think my constant feeling of not being deserving of it plays a role in my never-ending relapse after I got this job two years ago). But I know without sobriety, I'll have nothing. It's a matter of time. They don't realize I drink at work, and I'm ashamed to say it because though they try to understand alcoholism, at the mention of really unacceptable behaviour (drunk driving, morning drinking, drinking at work, etc.) they're complete baffled as to how someone can do that. Rambling, as usual... but I guess I'm just scared because I have 48 hours before entering detox and I'm already playing the record in my head of 'are you really an alcoholic? Why are you going to detox - you're not shaking/in danger of fatal withdrawal???' But I KNOW that's my AV/fear talking. I just need to remember that.

People here told me that detox really helped them - my question is did it help anyone that didn't necessarily need the medical attention? I have this idea in my head that detox is for people who are so progressed in their disease that they can die coming of booze, but I'm not one of those people (I don't mean this in a denial way, more of a non-deserving way).
Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
Good for you for making that choice.
Detox is to help people get over the first few days of the negative reactions of removing alcohol from the body safely.
It may also lead people into sober living by way of rehab.
Whatever anyone does it’s up to the individual to do the work involved in getting and staying sober.
Part of that path is every day being honest with ourself about our drinking and accepting we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.
In the majority of cases we cant wish our way into long term sobriety as it’s a work in progress and too many look for the softest easiest path to avail.

BE WELL
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Rather than feeling guilt or shame, how about feeling proud of yourself for taking this action to help you achieve sobriety ? I think booking into detox is pretty damn awesome x
Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterflyCher View Post
But I know without sobriety, I'll have nothing. It's a matter of time.
You're making a wise choice butterflychef to go to detox. I agree with IAO22's response. One of the news stories that inspired me to get sober this year was Deryk Whibley. He is several years younger than myself and almost died of alcoholism. You don't want to wait until you're in almost the same state he was, so don't listen to your AV. He has been an inspiration for me to get sober.
ยป Deryck’s Kerrang Interview Deryck Whibley
Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with all of the above your taking positive action BC

We are all in your corner you can do this BC
Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Butterfly, detox will give you a new start. You will feel much better afterward and be ready to attack this demon. You will be thinking much clearer and be ready to get with a program, so you don't have to do this again. Believe me I have been to detox and rehab and even though I have had set backs, I still think I would be much worse off without these processes. The staff at the detox facility are there to make you comfortable so you can then get well. Wishing you all the best.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my question is did it help anyone that didn't necessarily need the medical attention?

How do know you don't need medical attention? If you are drinking in the morning and drinking at work, that sounds like you might be starting down the path of "round the clock" drinking.

Just because your drinking hasn't, as yet, caused medical symptoms blatant enough to be noticed by you doesn't mean that there aren't any. You've got a whole bunch of internal parts that are affected by heavy alcohol use.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked to your dr? He should be able to tell you whether or not you need a detox center. I think your plan is good and it's always good to be doing something positive for your recovery.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Butteryfly! Detox is a place so you can comfortably and safely come off your drugs/alcohol. The one that I went to I was there for 11 days...but it got me sober and gave me the tools to stay sober once I left. It's a great decision your making to go. Goodluck You can do it!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You should be proud of yourself. I know I am, really proud of you.

A few days for total freedom is a good deal. Make the most of it, you might learn some useful tips, and meet good people.

Remember this, you are not the first or the last one to need detox. 😉