Notices

How to Show Appreciation?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile How to Show Appreciation?

How can we best show our appreciation for those rare & wonderful people in our lives who go out of their way to support our recovery and sobriety?

*My boyfriend has been staying sober with me lately. He normally drinks in moderation. But knowing how much it helps me not to be the only one not drinking, he stays sober too. I didn't even ask. He just does it.

(I think he also enjoys it for his own benefit!)

*When we were trying to all make plans, my best friend convinced her husband we should all go out to dinner instead of out to the bars.

*When choosing a restaurant, my dear friend honored my request that we choose a place that doesn't serve alcohol.

*When I needed to distance myself from my toxic relationship with my alcoholic ex, my closest friends were there for me whenever I reached out for help, and stepped right in and helped me to see the situation for what it was. Because they knew I needed to get out of it. And at any sign of me wanting out, they wanted to help me get out.

*Although counting the # of days sober probably isn't a big deal to anyone but me, the people who care pretend that it is and get excited with me. And that's pretty huge!

And with my alcoholism, at any sign of me working to get out, my true friends are right there helping me walk up the narrow slippery pathway back up to sobriety.

I the fact that I've opened up and told them I have a problem is key to the fact that they're there to help me.

I had to humble myself and get over my pride..... but also show a desire to become a better person. And there's nothing bad about that

The fact that they've seen my alcoholism in action only makes the desire to help even stronger, I imagine.

I feel so fortunate. So, so, so blessed.

I imagine other people here have loved ones who are supportive in their own ways. I was thinking it might be nice if we take the time to come up with ways to appreciate them.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To me, the # 1 way to show appreciation, of course, is by staying sober
Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, for sure, staying sober is the best way to show people your appreciation.

You are lucky to have such a wonderful group of friends and family.