Notices

First post--Day 1

Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post--Day 1

This is my first time posting. After a hellacious weekend involving drinking that was preceded by a good year of nightly drinking to the tune of 1/2 a fifth a night, I've had enough.

Today I have felt awful--shakes, nausea, night sweats and currently insomnia. I've read about all of these things and have considered tapering to ease the symptoms but I honestly feel so sick to my stomach I can't even entertain the idea.

Does it get better? It feels so hard to see past today and how awful I feel...
Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It certainly gets better than day one bythebeach

if you feel concerned at al, do see your Dr, but by and large things will get better a day or two....that's the danger time when we might thinking of drinking again. That's why it's good to have these posts to refer to.

Glad you found us

D
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee74.

I currently don't have insurance or any funds to see a doctor so unfortuantely that's not an option. I just hope it passes quickly. I'm scared for tomorrow...

Glad I found you guys as well.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey bythebeach,

I think quitting is a really brave thing to do, so well done :=] Yeah, like Dee says, it definitely gets better, I totally promise. I've been sober for 8 days now so it's pretty fresh- the first three days were definitely the worst.

All I can really suggest is bite the bullet and do it. This feeling isn't going to last forever, in fact, in the scheme of things it's not going to last very long at all. Eat and drink (water!) as much as you can. Hang in there and take care.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey andyroo72,

Thank you for the kind words. Day 3 is what is worrying me the most. I return to work that day and don't want to be a sweaty, shaky wreck.

And you're right--in the scheme of things, not very long at all. Thank you for that.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey again :=]

Wow, back to work on day 3 does sound very full-on. I'm guessing that taking time off work isn't an option? If it is, I would, if that makes sense.

If you do have to work, I'd really make sure that's absolutely all you have to do cos you're probably going to have 0 energy. In the first few days, for me, there was a huge amount of grinning and bearing it (or, more often, downright whinging). Things are gonna start picking up after 2 or 3 days, though. I just did some serious hanging in there.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a sweaty monkey, but I did learn last week that roll-on deodorant works perfectly well on the face as well. :=]
Old 11-23-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I'm 13 days now.
At first, I DID NOT believe that anything would ever get any better.
But I did go through stages. One little basic thing got better, then I didn't believe the next thing would get better. When that got better, I would realize another problem or feel another emotion. I didn't believe that would get any better either...It did get better. And then another and another thing that I didn't believe in, would come true.
And I still feel pretty hopeless, but I've noticed a pattern here. Little things keep getting better, day after day.

Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Andyroo72, I do have to work. Especially since I missed work my last shift due to a binge. That was the wake-up call for me. Day 2 I can lay low though which is good. Since my first post the nausea has gotten better. Perhaps because I finally ate? Awaiting the next round of night sweats while poring over posts in the forum.

Chillly, way to go on 13 days! It's nice to know someone else felt like it would never get better but now has such a positive look. I'm going to take this break from all the nausea as one little thing that got better (for now) to be grateful for.

Thanks again for your support, guys!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you bythebeach

it gets a lot better its a upgrade of self i love sobriety
Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beach, it certainly does get better! I agree with what others have said -drink lots of water, and eat as much as you can...

Let us know how it is going!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1/2 a 5th a night for a year is a good amount. I would recommend seeing your doc. If you get real shaky and out of it don't hesitate to go to the ER. Alcohol withdrawal is serious biz. We want you to quit but be safe doing it. If you're like me you're like "I don't need no stinking doctor!" But 9 drinks a night for a gal (for anyone) is cause for a little concern for nasty withdrawal symptoms. Good luck from Oregon!
-Ted
Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bythebeach, hi and welcome! It does get better. Each day you will get physically and emotionally better. Like most things in life, it just takes time.

We are here to support you so anytime you need, post. Glad to have you here.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorax1981 View Post
1/2 a 5th a night for a year is a good amount. I would recommend seeing your doc. If you get real shaky and out of it don't hesitate to go to the ER. Alcohol withdrawal is serious biz. We want you to quit but be safe doing it. If you're like me you're like "I don't need no stinking doctor!" But 9 drinks a night for a gal (for anyone) is cause for a little concern for nasty withdrawal symptoms. Good luck from Oregon!
-Ted
I should clarify...1/2 a fifth for the past few months--not the whole past year. Still not a good thing though...

I made it through the night with 45 minutes of sleep here and there but ironically enough, I'm exhausted now and can sleep now that I have to do stuff! Also, the nausea is cold sweats have improved. Maybe the first 24-36 hours are the worst?

I'm also starting to deal with an overwhelming sense of failure and disappointment in myself. It is certainly a lot to deal with.

Thank you again everyone for your support!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum bythebeach!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

By the beach, welcome. I am on day 3 and going to work. Really wish I didn't have to but, I have to. My life is a mess because for a long time I haven't done what I had to. I was advised to drink orange juice to replace sugar I consumed in the booze. I think it is helping. Each day I have felt better at times, followed by times of feeling overwhelmed by it all. I try to focus on what an achievement it is that I haven't had any alcohol for 3 days. I desperately want sobriety and try to remaining willing to do anything to not drink today. You are not alone. Good thoughts going out to you.

Last edited by Girlie928; 11-24-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: incomplete word
Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JackieDaniels, it's helpful knowing someone else is right where I am. Are you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms? That's what I'm worried about my employer seeing.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can certainly tell your employer that you are sick - because you are.

I wouldn't disclose that it is because of alcohol withdrawal, but people get sick at this time of year in the NW, so it is kind of expected if you are an employer.

Your body will only do what it will do. I had a lot of trouble sleeping in the first month. I slept as much as I was able, but my brain and body were pretty messed up. I was drinking about the same amounts you were.

It's going to be uncomfortable, but don't borrow trouble from the future, just deal with it as it comes. Eat as much as you can. Drink a lot of water. Herbal teas helped me a lot.

You'll get through it.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Biminiblue, I missed my last shift (due to alcohol) so I definitely cannot mention anything tomorrow. Especially since I just got a major promotion.

It seems my symptoms are classified as "minor-mild" across multiple resources so that's reassuring.

Did you have anything that helped you eat? I have a total loss of apetite and nausea is back...
Old 11-24-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, I ate what I wanted to eat. Ice cream. Peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, mashed potatoes, Doves dark chocolate, protein shakes. Comfort food, lots of carbs. Maybe you could buy some ginger ale. It's good for nausea. I drank Tension Tamer tea and chamomile tea.

Have you considered AA meetings? I live in the Seattle area and there are a bunch of meetings every day. They were really helpful to me in the beginning, though I've stopped going now.

They haz cookies
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I found that the nervous stomach was fear and anxiety. It will diminish with time. Food actually helps with that.