Notices

Stupid pink cloud

Old 11-23-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid pink cloud

Tonight AV is being a complete beeyotch. All it wants is a glass of wine. I know that's not happening...but it's tough . Urg. Haven't had a craving like this in awhile. Fiancé isn't helping, he is having a glass right now. He said if it would make me feel better he would dump it down the sink. I got pissy at him and said that would be stupid , and it wouldn't make me feel any better . I told it just sucks that I can't have any. He is now outside with his effing glass of wine BBQ 'ing. Eff you, AV.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He is a normal drinker, really. A glass or two a week. Don't get me wrong, when I was drinking it would be more, because I was instigating but he doesn't have a problem with it.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get yourself a glass of a really nice soft drink Or something nice to eat

Jut keep telling the AV to shove off, it'll learn that it doesn't get what it wants eventually
Old 11-23-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ellay try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 11-23-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In time, something like this won't bother you at all. It gets better and it won't always be like this.

Great job in coming to SR to post about it. It's great to blow off steam like that.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hmm. My Pink Cloud was much more pleasant! I had about a ten day period at the two month point where I felt like I was walking a foot off the ground. Everything was beautiful and spiritual and meaningful. Music was awesome, it was always a good day.

I'll say I hope you get some of that
Old 11-23-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ellay,

There are a few tactics that help me in situations when I'm triggered by having alcohol around me. Like LS said, having a nice meal can work wonders and totally annihilate the craving, even if someone drinks in front of me (yay, so I can go to a restaurant with normies!).

The two others are mental games.
One is what is often called "playing the tape through", and in my case, I found writing it down (the whole tape, aka thought process) amplifies the effectiveness of it like 10x for me. By the time I re-read it, most often the craving was gone.
The other one is recalling my many previous successes when I fought the craving successfully, and how great I felt afterward - immediately, and the morning after. These successes were extremely empowering for me in the early days, the more in numbers the more effective.

You can get through it; as I am sure you know, the worst part usually does not last super long If you think you can get out for a walk, that might help, too.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ice Cream, Ellay. Big spoon of ice cream. Or a popsicle.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
Tonight AV is being a complete beeyotch. All it wants is a glass of wine. I know that's not happening...but it's tough . Urg. Haven't had a craving like this in awhile. Fiancé isn't helping, he is having a glass right now. He said if it would make me feel better he would dump it down the sink. I got pissy at him and said that would be stupid , and it wouldn't make me feel any better . I told it just sucks that I can't have any. He is now outside with his effing glass of wine BBQ 'ing. Eff you, AV.
Honestly, I think your husband should be more supportive right now. Have you asked him not to drink around you for a while? Or at least not in your own home? I'm sorry you are struggling. Hang in there!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job posting here. We understand like no others. It gets better. I promise.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was nice that your fiancé offered to not drink in front of you, but I'm sure you know it's not that simple. We all have to go through those nasty cravings in early recovery and there's really no way around it. But, the good news is, that each time you get through a situation like that, it will be a bit easier the next time.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Doesn't sound too happy to me. I'd call it a grey cloud.

Each time you resist a craving to drink, you'll get a little stronger. Eventually it will be second nature to be sober. Hang on!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope you're feeling better. Eating helps. What Anna said is true, at some point we must all face someone drinking around us. But, at this point, if your fiancé isn't an alcoholic and doesn't need a drink (though none of us actually need drinks despite what AV Says), then I think I would ask him to put a cork in the bottle around you for the time being, to be revisited at a later date. Does he know how much a struggle it is? If he doesn't, please tell him for your sake. If he does know, then honestly, I think he's being either selfish or insensitive. I know that's probably not the support you are looking for right now but I'm pulling for you and am in your corner in fighting the AV.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm..well, if he was out BBQing (as in dinnertime). I'm wondering if you are perhaps "hungry"? Whenever I get an out of the blue craving, I ask myself am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? (H.A.L.T.). Most of the time, I'm one of those things..usually, hungry or tired..sometimes I'm even dehydrated and need water.

Just a thought.
Hope you hung in there. Look forward to an update.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Ellay, well done for not drinking. I think if it were me , and I had a fiance who wasn't bothered about drinking, I would get rid of all the booze in the house and ask him not to drink around me for a while.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I hope you're feeling better. Eating helps. What Anna said is true, at some point we must all face someone drinking around us. But, at this point, if your fiancé isn't an alcoholic and doesn't need a drink (though none of us actually need drinks despite what AV Says), then I think I would ask him to put a cork in the bottle around you for the time being, to be revisited at a later date. Does he know how much a struggle it is? If he doesn't, please tell him for your sake. If he does know, then honestly, I think he's being either selfish or insensitive. I know that's probably not the support you are looking for right now but I'm pulling for you and am in your corner in fighting the AV.
I am with you in this. Of course your husband is perfectly ok to have a glass or two of wine a week. However, with it being such a struggle for you and as it is such a minor part of his week maybe you can allow him to do you a favor and just go without for a few months. I am sure it will be his pleasure to help you out.