Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey CL... I had a lot of mood swings early on. But things do "flatten" out a bit. One thing that AV likes is when we have moods and go with them. Let them pass and see how tomorrow feels. I tend to feel different the next day. Even takes a few days sometimes.

Well said BigS. It is important to see that life is normal sober. I am getting ready to cook Chicken Marsala and a fresh pasta and Peas. Thats about as normal as normal is and I am so thankful for it.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

Can't go to a drive in. Do they still have them?
When I was growing up we lived up and across the road from a drive in. We used to sit on the hill at the end of our street and watch the movies sans audio.
When I was 13 we snuck in and watch the Exorcist.
Scared the crap out of me.

I wish they still had drive ins. I could go out to the movies, still wearing my pajamas.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

What a gloriously lazy day at home. It's drizzly outside, so I loaded up the crockpot with ingredients for a new Thai chicken soup recipe.
Now all of this cookie and icecream talk has me digging in the pantry for a snack and there's nothing as good as what you all have mentioned so I'm settling on popcorn. The place is clean, laundry is loaded, now it's blanket and Netflix time. I hope you're all having an equally relaxing Saturday.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Oopsy, double post

Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

CL, about two to three months ago I hated everyone and everything. It all annoyed me. I felt like crying and screaming. I powered through it because I figured it was growing pains in sobriety. It was uncomfortable but it did pass. I kept busy. I came and read more threads on here than I usually do. I posted. I made sure to join in weekenders because the people here are the ones I feel "closest" to on the forum because I do come here and post about buying apple corers and cooking and quarreling with my husband.

Conquest, popcorn is a good snack. I love it. Unfortunately the kids get it all over the place but it's good. Now that thai chicken soup sounds delicious. Hmm.

We had tacos for dinner. Kids are running around like maniacs. We are slowly cleaning and then I'm going to Target with little Miss Ruby. She has a birthday party this week and we need to get a present.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

dinner was amazing. Wow. Candles going and cats laying lazily. Ready for TV. Walked the distance to take the garbage out and when I returned the house had the wonderful aromas of a home. I live alone but still glad I am sober and can feel that warmth.

Night!!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Went out shopping with my Mom today and I didn't loose what little I have of my mind left when she talked and talked and talked about her past. I think as she is getting older she is either reliving her past or telling it over and over so I will remember it and be able to pass on the family history I remember she gave my Grandmother a tape recorder....maybe I will do the same for her Actually no, because I still have to transcribe my grandmother's tapes as my mother hasn't done it yet. Anyway....big bowl of popcorn and my multiple crochet projects surround me as I watch the Bruins and Canadiens hockey game...looking for my partner as he is in the crowd somewhere. Hope he doesn't get bopped for making a smart comment....

Stay strong everyone.....the mind can get a little squirrely at night but the morning will bring a new day...that is a guarantee!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Someone reminded me of this talent last week.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by closetlobster View Post
The initial euphoria of quitting has passed now I'm having to learn new ways to cope - and until then it's an uphill struggle.
Yeah that initial high is like a sugar-rush: you can live off it for a while, but in time you're going to eventually take a nose dive. Don't let anyone tell you that you're a "dry drunk" during these peevish times, either. You're just human and this is part of climbing that mountain. This is why people say things like "it was a real long battle" and stuff like that.

You're not superman/woman. Just stay sober, continue to adapt. Good luck and stay strong. Congrats on weekend 11!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Closet lobster, it just takes time to adjust and settle down. I think it took me a few months. I'm at 9 months now and feel balanced finally. Hang in there, it gets better and better.

Costco run was fun. Loaded up on pellets for my pellet stove. I love having a garage full. I was appalled by the enormous bottles of wine and booze they have. I frankly didn't notice the prices, but they have these HUGE bottles, I guess for the holidays. I was thinking how dangerous it would be to have one of those in the house. Honestly, the wine bottle must have held 2 or 3 gallons! Same for vodka. Wow, talk about hangovers! And I'm sure that they cost a fortune. I ran before I even saw the prices. What a waste of money.
And forget $175 for Batman lbrain. Put it on your Christmas list for santa. Lol.
Ok-I rented Jersey Boys for tonight. I heard it was a great movie.
I am truly enjoying my sober weekend. I don't even want to ruin it with a drink. YES! I've been waiting for this good feeling.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

HaF, I saw some guy at check out at Costco a couple of weeks ago who was holding up the line in what seemed to be negotiations over a gigantic bottle of tequila. It did seem rather appalling. And annoying. And I was glad it wasn't me.

I am trying to get the kids in bed. Both of them have been in the house most of the day in unstructured activity and lack thereof. It's even harder to settle them in so next weekend they will have structure. I need more structure. It's frustrating when there are so many things to do that I run around doing a little bit of each and none of it gets finished. There is chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in the fridge and a cross word puzzle from the Sunday paper a month ago that I never started. So if the kids finally go to sleep, I will be on the couch working on that. When I was drinking I would be completely drunk by now and hiding because I couldn't take the noise and chaos. It's getting better but I still reach my limit of noise and need peace. I think we all do.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hello all you weekenders ! Was up nice and early for a workout, then went for a haircut. Decided to chop it off. Now sporting a lob about 7 inches gone...just needed a change . Went out for dinner with fiancé, he asked if it was ok if he had a glass of wine. I said sure, enjoy. My lord, it looked soooooo good....so I asked him for a sip. He knew I was ( half ) joking, but pushed it out of the way and said he was sorry, that he doesn't need it. I snapped out of it, and said by all means, enjoy. We then went to see St. Vincent, great movie. Full from lots of food, popcorn and m&ms. My little guy (well, 9!) hockey game tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I hate when people say "dry drunk". Like no one in sobriety is supposed to get angry or frustrated ever? No one is that serene all of the time. Well, almost no one. I guess it depends on how you deal with your anger and frustration.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Good that you didn't take that sip Ellay. One sip for me wouldn't be enough. Maybe take him up on his offer to not drink wine for a bit. Glad you had a good night out.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Ruby, I hear you (no pun intended) on the noise. Chicago can wear on you. Noise on the streets, noise in the neighborhoods, and noise on the commute. Trains, cars, bulldozers and people. When you come home, it sure is hard when other people are making MORE noise when all you want and need is quiet! I guess that's why they say that city life makes you hard - you either get used to it, and learn to cope, or it can eat you up! Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on most of it, and I'm sure that things will settle down as the kids get older. In 5 years you'll probably be saying "my kids never TALK to me anymore"!

Guess that's how the cookie crumbles. Speaking of which, I got some flan-and-chocolate cake thing this afternoon. It's called "media-noche". Pretty good. Watched a movie, had a fire in the fireplace, and will soon be hitting the sack. Weather's been hot lately, but we're s'posed to get a big cool down with some rain next week...right when I go on my trip! Rats! Of course, the weather's totally out of my control, and I've learned to not worry about things I can't control. Especially things in the future. Why bother worrying?

Got an e-mail from the boss tonight, he's looking for some marketing/advertising ideas. As a startup tech company we can't afford to make big investments and we're looking for something that will generate buzz without killing our budget. I'll see if I can gain some inspiration over the next week or so - after all, I've definitely been able to make adjustments on the fly and can be flexible. That's what sobriety's all about!

Picked up a handsaw, nails and a hammer today. Tomorrow I'm off to buy wood. Going to build some simple plant stands for my terrace, sick of waiting around for something perfect to fall into my lap. Gonna do it myself, or at least try. Where's Nons and his pine-ripper when you need him?!!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Ruby, I agree with you about hating the expression "dry drunk." It sounds so judgmental and critical to me, even condescending.
Back to the movie Jersey Boys.....have it on pause. I'm enjoying it, lots of good old Frankie Valli tunes and a good story.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Yes BigS. The noise. It's not the city noises that bug me much but you are right. In five years I will be lamenting that the kids never talk to me. My son is loud and shouts everything and my daughter never, ever stops talking. Even in bed. I heard her talking in her sleep last night. Plant stands sound like a good project. Outside I don't usually use them but the one I did use was a 2 x 12 that I scavenged from the alley placed across two upturned Home Depot buckets. Not fancy but it worked. Or cement blocks with a board across. I imagine you may want something a bit more elegant.

HaF, condescending is the perfect word. Yes. The holier than thou tone.

More ice cream for me. Then bed. House coming together and two big bags of clothes to get rid of. I am parting with a very lovely vintage tweed coat but it doesn't quite fit right on me across the shoulders and annoys me. I had visions of selling vintage clothing at one point but I am too distracted, busy, disorganized to do that. So, someone else can discover my treasure. Soon to bed.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
http://www.legacyfreedom.com/

hello and new to your forum. Looking forward to making new friends and sharing stories, hardships and coping tips.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey LNRich! Welcome to SR. This is your forum and don't you forget it. With seriousness, you are in a great place.

Olive - the summers of childhood and that warm glow of the sunset, insects in big buzz mode, the smell of the tall overgrown weeds and hearing cars driving on crunchy pebble roads. The big piecemeal screen and the excitement as we all headed into the gloaming. Oh my gosh, I forgot about the drive-ins. Thank you for stirring up those great memories. There is nothing quite like the excitement of childhood and the feeling of warm arms and legs from a full day of playing in the sunshine.

2 hours of work today turned into four, then 8. And there is still more to do.

H&F - how is your movie coming along?

I still do not understand the meaning of 'dry drunk'. Except whenever I hear 'dry drunk' I think of Josh Brolin in the movie, W. That was a good movie.

Sweet dreams everyone heading to sleep!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I highly recommend that movie -Jersey Boys
Good night everyone! See you all tomorrow-