Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Weas, thanks for the photos! It is stunning. We have rain but it's warm. Relatively warm. Fifties.

BigS, I am grateful. The AA beginners meeting I attended on Friday night had gratitude as the discussion topic. Most AA meetings this week have been gratitude themed. It does put perspective on things.

I'm getting ready to go back to my parents. Mom is feeding us. Mr. Ruby goes back to work after his vacation this past week. I love him very much but dang, I now see where my kids get the noise from. He is anxious about going back to work tomorrow and has been talking loudly and non stop. I'm going to join Brain in hiding in the car.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Sunday is winding down, I made a soup for breakfast for the wife. I found out I will be driver for the next couple days. Nite shift into day classes. SET ALARM!
I waited until she woke up to make noise outside and finish leaf cleaning. I have an hour of light left. So I guess it's outside I go. I got close to 60 today. Up to near 75 tomorrow/Tues.
We go from record lows to record highs. I'd rather deal with hot and hotter these days.
Good Sunday evening to all.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

*** Reminder ***

Next weeks thread is a holiday edition that will start on Wednesday around noon. So for those wanting a safe place for the holiday we will be here!!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Just checking out for the weekend...Next week is weekend #12.

I find posting to this thread an invaluable way to reflect and chart my journey.

It's also nice hearing everyone else's progress and weekend plans.

See you next week.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Thanks Weasel for the reminder.

I'm stuffed from dinner. It was really good and I didn't have to cook for which I am grateful. Tomorrow is the chaperoning of the field trip. It's an outdoors field trip. It's raining now. Rain is predicted for tomorrow along with a twenty degree drop in temperature and rain morphing into snow. Eek! Bundling up time for sure.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hey guys . Just posted that I was craving...didn't crack...just about to have some dinner, and will be so glad tomorrow am that AV didn't get the better of me.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hello all..
I was a cleaning whirlwind this weekend. The house is cleaner than it has been in a long time. I am tired but feel accomplished. It was a rainy Sunday but it's getting a bit warmer so I'm not complaining.
I'm on my tablet so typing is a pain for me but thank you for all your posts this weekend. I look forward to spending the Thanksgiving weekend with you all. It will just be the four of us and I am a bit sad we don't have other family to share the holiday with (especially since my house is so clean...) but we'll be ok. I am very grateful for my life and am grateful to be part of this group too. See you Wednesday!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Dixie Chicken

'Tis been a while, so I'm Spatchcocking a whole Roaster Chicken. Heats the House, too, at 425 or 450 F Degrees. Whole Garlic Cloves under the Skin. Olive Oil. Powdered Chocolate sprinkled on top. Spritzed with 'Sriracha' Sauce. Couple of Russet Potatoes on the side. In the prior Pic below, the lil 'Meteorites' are Whole Peppercorns.

The Denver Doncos are ahead of the Patriots by 3 Points. Newsflash -> Game just finished. They pulled this win 'out of a dark and stinky place', as a Gal Pal sez.

May be the rest of your Sunday be a Fun Day, Sober Troops!

Spatchcocked Chicken Recipe

'Dixie Chichen' ~ Little Feat ~ Live

-----

-----
Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

There's something wrong with my oven. i put an 11-pound turkey in at 11:30 and thought it would be done by 3:30. Nope. It wasn't done till 5! We left it in a little longer just to be sure, and it turned out dry and leathery. What a disaster!

It wasn't just for us--it was for serving to the public at a community Thanksgiving outreach. I was originally supposed to be there at 4:45--I didn't end up getting there till 6:30! i expected the coordinators to be really annoyed, but they weren't--they hailed me as a hero for bringing another tray of turkey, leathery as it was.

People got back in line and wiped it all out in 10 minutes! There were twice as many people there as came last year. They made 200 place settings and had to make more! They needed to set up 10 extra tables!

A guy was there (he plays every year) who did covers of James Taylor, John Denver, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, and Simon and Garfunkel. It was really great.

Because I got there late, it was over by the time I'd been there an hour.

I expected I'd be more stressed out that things didn't turn out as planned, but I was calm--it all turned out OK.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ah, yes! The first day of the HorrorDay Season.

The sister with the former heroin addict for a husband has started early on the horrorday meltdown. He just returned from a two week sabbatical at his parents' house after filing for divorce. Before I rapidly became multiply employed last week, there was much planning of MY time to ease my sisters' burdens in the upcoming festivities. As BIL is a total waste at anything other than reading out loud to himself, and the parents are getting older, my sisters and I carry the load during the holidays. I'm on limited duty due to employment so the meltdown started today. WHEEEEeeeeee!!!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I am sure that any presence of yours will be greatly appreciated, Trach.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Gilmer...I'm glad it turned out ok...what great service to the community.

Turtle...i hope the week goes ok for you and isn't too stressful.

Watching the AMAs...heading to bed soon.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you're "on duty" Trach - and Glimer, sorry to hear your turkey didn't turn out as expected! Mesa, that chicken looks fantastic. Yes indeed, the holiday season has officially begun.

Signing off, will be on the road at 4am Wednesday morning and in a small twin-prop by 6am somewhere over Central America. I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving Day in the jungles in a country where it's just a normal Thursday. Looking forward to it, been eager to start traveling like this for a long time. Ever since I got sober, I thought "well, it's time to start living life the way you always wanted" and I've made it my goal to live abroad and travel the sights in Latin America. If I can live my dream, so can anyone - trust me! Will try and check in next weekend, supposedly I have Internet on my little island. Here's hoping there are enough breaks in the rain for me to enjoy some time outdoors!

Happy T-giving all!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Looks like it's that time again, pards.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Drat!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Looks like it that time again, pards.

double drat!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

triple drat!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Are you trying to have last post Trach? I'm not understanding triple drat.

I've got kids in bed and it's quiet. I've discovered the key to quick exodus to bed, instantaneously halting the hi jinks and getting quiet. Take out the satellite access card. No tv, no argument. It's in my back pocket.

Ella's, I hope eating did the trick for you. When I'm feeling squirrelly it's usually food or thirst that is the problem.

Way to hang everyone! We can do it together. Do we want a "small things" thread on cafe or will that detract from weekenders? I think it's one of the reasons I'm always last to post or near to last, on this thread. It's one of those "and another thing...." thing.

BigS, I have visions of Indiana jones in my head with your description. Have a great time.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I'm glad everything worked out. That's great that you are able to do it. Maybe buy an oven thermometer to check the temp. I had issues with my old oven being off. It never got fixed so that the temp corresponded with what the dial said. But I figured out what dial setting it needed for the temp I needed. Like setting dial at 400 for an oven temp of 350. Short term fix but at least you can figured out if it's the thermostat before calling in repair guy.