Notices

Benzo withdrawal - How long does it last?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benzo withdrawal - How long does it last?

I was given benzos to come off alcohol. Only took for 3 weeks cuz they weren't doing much. Although, I didn't really need them either. I felt fine after my alcohol CT, just a bit shaken up from one hangover panic attack. So I took for 3 weeks (1.5mg daily), kinda used them as needed after that for a month (probobly felt the withdrawals coming on).

Anyway, I was seeing a psychologist at that point because I thought something was seriously wrong with me. I had an anxiety disorder, but nowhere near this bad. He recommended I stop using the medication as needed and start fighting the panic attacks. I agreed. So I stopped the Klonopin at .25mg ready to face my fears.

I did really well for the first few weeks. Just some rebound anxiety. I was beating the agoraphobia and panic attacks. Then boom, week 6, the most intense fear of everything and anything. Paranoid thought, delusions, ocd, heart palps, shortness of breath, the list goes on and on...

I am now almost 90 days from benzos and wondering when this ends. I'm not even having panic attacks or anxiety that I was prescribed them for. But I feel like I'm having a panic attack 24-7 even though I don't feel anxious.

It's the most messed up experience of my life and the doctors don't believe me. They tell me I have an extreme anxiety disorder and need meds for the rest of my life.

I had one panic attack. Just one. Otherwise I was fine. No anxiety...just a little shaken up. Am I insane or is this benzo withdrawal?

The fear is insane!!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Medical advice is not allowed, but other members can tell you what they went through
Old 11-02-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not asking for medical advice. I don't want any medication. What I want is my life back. And I want to know if this all encompassing fear of everything is benzo withdrawal. I have never experienced anything like it in my life. How long can this last at this intensity?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ThelastStraw, I was on 4mg a day of Klonopin. lets just say this, after 90 days, I had no more withdrawals from the Klonopin. My doctor prescribe me Vistaril 50 mgs 2-3 times aday. it worked well for me. another name for it is hydroxyzine pam 50 mg

Hope this helps
Old 11-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We can't tell you how long it will last as everyone is different. I'd suggest seeing your doctor for help in getting thru this.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know much about benzo withdrawal, but I know it causes problems for people.

If you drs don't believe what you are telling them, it's probably time to move on to another dr who will listen and help you.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

every person is different from withdrawals. I would ask a Doctor
Old 11-02-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wish I could find a doctor to help me, but I live in a small town. The psychiatrist comes in from the city and my PCP is the one who referred me to them.

The psychiatrist told me I have Bi-polar. Depression. And severe anxiety. I had none of these prior to quitting alcohol. I only drank myself into oblivion for one week and had ONE panic attack from a hangover.

It took me three weeks to see my doctor and in between that period I was fine. I was playing videogames, cooking., cleaning...now I'm afraid to take a shower because I have an intense irrational fear I will suffocate.

It is the stupidest thing in the world! The psyche told me that the withdrawals would be over by now. It's so hard to convince someone otherwise when you are in this state. And now I'm severely agoraphobic because everything is too much stimulation. I took the drug for 3 weeks and don't know why I am taking so long.

But thanks for posting the timelines. Guess its just a waiting game.

For those that have gone through this -- did you wake up one day feeling better or was it gradual? There are tines where I feel better and then get smacked again with all these symptoms.

I also feel better in the evening...always around 8pm. At that time the fear goes away. But all clinics are closed and the nearest hospital is miles away. This sucks.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there you can do it i was agrophobic it gets a lot better just keep on keeping on
Old 11-02-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when I felt like you do now, I went to the emergency room at the Hospital. They had to treat me. Doctors gave me meds for depression and severe anxiety. A lot of my anxiety is gone, due to no alcohol in my system.

Are you on meds now? for depression & anxiety
Old 11-02-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Before I started drinking, my drug of choice was Ambien. I can tell you that I experienced some pretty bad withdrawal. It lasted about a week. That being said, my abuse was extensive...years of daily use. I was prescribed Risperdone(?) I was told withdrawal was inevitable, but this stuff blunted the edge a bit. I say speak with your doctor. If it gets really bad, go to the ER. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not on meds for anxiety no. The only ones I have are the Klonopin and like hell that is going anywhere near me again.

I just don't understand the agoraphobia. I'm not afraid of the outdoors. I would very much like to go for a walk or be outside. But its like I'm afraid of my symptoms outdoors....and it being way too much stimulation. I can't even describe it.

And I also get depressive. And I've never been suicidal in my life. But these intrusive thoughts pop up in this (I would never do it). And I want to live. I don't understand. Its all so confusing. Why would someone who wants to live experience any suicidal thought? It only seems to occur for a few minutes everyday. Usually around 1pm. And for no reason!

I don't get it. Can a few weeks of pills really mess you up this bad? I saw one lady on YT who CTs off of Ativan but she was physically I'll and going xrazy from lack of sleep. I only was sick for a few weeks and had insomnia. That let up after the first 2 weeks.

But now I'm left with this fear...and I'm not having panic attacks which was the reason I was put on the medication. If I try to step outside my house I can't. I'm not afraid of a panic attack. I've had many in my life.

But I just can't put one foot in front of the other. So strange...
Old 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Comment withdrawn because I can't ex[ress my thoughts within the rules of the forum.

Last edited by SoIGotThatGoing; 11-02-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-02-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're not alone in having withdrawals from a short-term exposure to benzos. It is really best to find a doctor willing to accept your concerns and complaints, and that may not be the doctor who prescribed the meds and is telling you that you should be well past any withdrawal symptoms.

My experience with benzos was longterm and taking a large dose, so I can't really give you any advice or timeline on when you will feel better.

Are your on other meds?

I had a protracted benzo withdrawal experience, and I can only tell you I measured improvement in months, not weeks.

There could be other things going on, especially in early recovery from alcohol. And any other meds in the mix could be a factor.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This may seem like the #1 dumb question, but it isn't actually addressed in any of your posts:

Have you remained abstinent from alcohol for the last 90+ days?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not on any other meds. And I want to find a new doctor. But how can I? I'm stuck in a small town and the only two people I have seen both tell me its all in my head and there is something wrong with me. I'm not drinking alcohol either. Quit that CT five months ago-ish.

Did you have intense fear, Memphis? Does it go away? Or are you stuck with it for the whole withdrawals?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Andante - No, no alcohol. Once I got that panic attack I quit. Wasn't a big deal. I only went on the benzos because I was working and didnt want to have a panic attack at work. But the benzos didn't do anything. I didn't feel sedated. Well, actually, I didn't have a panic attack either. So I dunno. I just wanna hear this gets better. Especially from a short term user. I feel like I am just really unlucky
Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheLastStraw View Post
The psychiatrist told me I have Bi-polar. Depression. And severe anxiety. I had none of these prior to quitting alcohol.
<unfortunately> I have experience with depression and anxiety. You stated that the psychiatrist said you have bi-polar, depression, etc, but in a later post I thought you said you just had the Klonopin, which you aren't taking. Didn't the doc give you meds for bipolar, depression? Since he "diagnosed you" with those, it's logical you got meds for that. I know how it is in a small town, you can't even ask for a 2nd opinion, which I think is mandatory regarding any mental health issues. Can you travel to a city close by and will your insurance pay for a 2nd opinion?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry if I am all over the place. Its hard to concentrate for some reason. I will try to sum it up better:

-Drank myself stupid for one week. No life reason. Just thought it was fun.
- Had a panic attack on the day I decided to not drink.
- Quit alcohol CT. No issues.
- knew I had to return to work, told my doc I had a panic attack. Gave me Klonopin.Referred me to psych. Appointment was over a month to wait for.
- Returned to work, pills not making me feel sedated.
-3rd week back pills started doing weird things. Got shortness of breath and felt on edge all the time.
- Left work to see psych, explaining the situation with the pills. He said I was bipolar, depressive. And had severe anxiety and needed pills for the rest of my life.
- He prescribed me Lexapro. Quit the clonazepam. Lexapro gave me a bad reaction. Didn't take it again. First month off Clonazepam was OK. Just rebound anxiety. That's fine. 6th week off is when I got all this weird stuff
- Met with psyche again. Told me I had all these issues and really need to be medicated.

I didn't have all of this the week before I drank alcohol. The hell! I was honestly fine. I had an anxiety disorder yeaaaars ago but that was long gone. Now I feel like I have done permanent brain damage and I will never recover.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I remember having a rough two weeks when I stopped benzos cold turkey, about five years ago. Everything seemed to improve though. Please see a doctor about your symptoms. Especially since you've been diagnosed with a mental disorder.