Notices

Hmmmm, occasional dreams involving drinking??

Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hmmmm, occasional dreams involving drinking??

Recently had a totally un-expected dream involving drinking (two days ago), I've had a handful of these ever since quitting back in February (the 17th to be exact). I believe the other most recent one was back towards the end of July, and one back in April before that.

Something weird i notice about these incidents is....... you guys know those un-related dreams where you feel like you're "falling", and how it feels very real - then you suddenly wake up and realize it was just a dream - that you're still in one piece?

Or those nightmares where the cast of "characters" / what is in front of you feels so real but strangely you can't move - then you suddenly wake up and realize it wasn't real?

Well, i've noticed in these few dreams involving alcohol that it feels very real, it feels as if i'm drinking and getting buzzed in the dream. And again, just like the other types of "real" feeling dreams, i wake up and realize it was nothing - that it wasn't real.

Anyways, i was just wondering if this is a common occurrence early in recovery. Also, when do these types of dreams stop occurring altogether?

My theory is that, just as the physical body "detoxes", the mind also goes through a "detox" phase of it's own - which may take much longer in comparison. I'm guessing this is just my subconscious, through such dreams, attempting to "detox" from whatever alcohol-related stuff may be lingering in that vast unknown.

I'd like to hear about your experiences with this, if any. I would think i'm not alone in my experiences with these kinds of dreams.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very common Grubby, I still get them and they can be quit the roller coaster!!

Hang in there, they don't mess with our hangover free mornings despite the shock!!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, drinking dreams are really common. Lucky for me I don't wake up wanting to drink when I've had them.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight
Very common Grubby, I still get them and they can be quit the roller coaster!!

Hang in there, they don't mess with our hangover free mornings despite the shock!!
Tell me about it!! When i woke up, for a minute or two i actually wondered if i had re-lapsed in an unconscious sleep-walk or something........ the mental imagery was that powerful and "real"-seeming. Crazy......

"Shock" is a good word here lol
Old 10-31-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ive had a drinking dream but i wasnt drinking but everyone was trying to get me to drink
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

happened to me the other night. Kind of freaky when it feels so real. But the relief is overwhelming
Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just had a drunk dream last night too! I woke up in a panic! Just like you described. I've had dreams about looking for pain killers too since I've been sober even though I was never addicted to them for some reason my subconscious is looking for a high I think. I always wake up with my heart pounding.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happens to me a lot as well...I actually wake up with slight anxiety that I had a relapse. They do feel very real, and I too just chalk it up as my mind is still in healing mode.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, I've had them too. Felt very real ... I felt the buzz, and also felt my stomach sink as I thought I'd failed myself.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ugh, yeah I hate those. I used to have a lot more, they're pretty rare 3 years in but they do creep in there once in awhile! Hang in there, don't let them influence your mood, I know they can be a real pain.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happens to me it seems like in waves. I won't have one of these dreams for months then a few nights in a row. Maybe stress related? Who knows. Stopped trying to analyze them. Haven't woke up with a drink spilled all over myself in a couple of years though.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Only had one since I stopped drinking end of July. About 2 weeks ago dreamed I had a few beers over a weekend. I remember being angry at myself in the dream.

Now it gets weird. Next night I dreamed I went to some type of recovery meeting and given a large book to read. The book was a printed version of the SR forums. Oddly, I have never been to an AA meeting.

I suppose we dream of things that affect our lives, and alcohol certainly affected me for many years.