Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 3

Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Day 20 gone. Arrived in Ft Myers met up with Kim at our condo, went to our favorite Italian restaurant . Offered her a glass of wine she did not want one. Just ice tea like I was drinking. I guess that's good that she did not drink but she does not have a problem with it and I don't want her to not drink because of me not drinking. Dinner was good and with out a few bottles it was cheap. $25.00. Got plans to ride bikes down by the beach tomorrow and then do what ever we want. It's good being sober on the weekend. You can plan things and actually do them with out being hung over. Day 21. Feels good. .
Old 10-31-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choosingsober View Post
Got plans to ride bikes down by the beach tomorrow and then do what ever we want. It's good being sober on the weekend. You can plan things and actually do them with out being hung over. Day 21. Feels good. .
That sounds fantastic. Great rewards do come, and dinner without wine worked out well too, by the sound of it.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Day 15 done. I'm off to bed, it's been a lllooonnnggg day.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

First sober Halloween in 22 years probably. Wow! That's an eye-opener for me.

On my way home, there was someone driving towards me in my lane. The moron (probably wasted) was going the wrong way on a one-way street! I shudder to think what could've happened if my mind wasn't clear. Just another reminder of why this change in lifestyle is so very important.

After that, I think I'm Halloweened out! Hahaha
Time for me to hit the sack. I can't wait to wake up and high-5 myself for a job well done. Stay well, Octsobers.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

OMG Conquest. What an eye-opener.
And thank God you are alright.

V xx
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're ok Conquest - hope the other guy got home safely too,

D
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
First sober Halloween in 22 years probably. Wow! That's an eye-opener for me. On my way home, there was someone driving towards me in my lane. The moron (probably wasted) was going the wrong way on a one-way street! I shudder to think what could've happened if my mind wasn't clear. Just another reminder of why this change in lifestyle is so very important. After that, I think I'm Halloweened out! Hahaha Time for me to hit the sack. I can't wait to wake up and high-5 myself for a job well done. Stay well, Octsobers.
What in the hell! My first sober Halloween in about the same and also dodged a swerving vehicle who was obviously drinking. That is very strange conquest. I also wondered if I would have hit him if I were still drinking. Weird....
Watched a bloody gore Halloween movie and am finally off to bed.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I don't think it's strange...it's happened to me as well this week.
Really.
If I had been hungover, I would have been in a major accident for sure at least twice this week.
Two cars turned into traffic straight in front of me when I had right of way.

A week earlier? I would have been toast.

V xx

PS. Just glad we are all safe. ♥
Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Tonight was a bit hard for me. I went to an AA meeting. Those always make me think about drinking. Then I I hung with a friend before a party. He was drinking rum & cokes. The rum bottle was open, and he went in his room to change. I was tempted. The party was an open bar, which always did me in. I drank maybe 7 or 8 cups of cranberry and soda. and ate loads of sweets. I did miss drinking a bit. I kind of wanted to get a buzz on, though I know I'd never remember the convos the next day if I did. Walking home, I saw a guy who was stumbling and looking really bad. And I realized that would've been me. There's a line between buzzed and drunk, and I never managed to stay on the right side of it. I'm glad I won't be dealing with hangovers this weekend.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Day 9. More thankful by the day to be over the early days and withdrawals. NEVER again!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to stay away from situations like that for a while ironwoman...the part of me that wanted to drink, despite everything, was still pretty strong for a while.

D
Old 11-01-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Good morning fellow Octsobers, hope you all had a happy halloween.

Strange about meeting drunk drivers for the three of you. Yet another eye opener. I'll bet they don't even remember it this morning, and if they do, they'll justify the incident to themselves as being "not all that bad, hey, I didn't crash. I can safely carry on doing the same. After all I am a very good driver and it was Halloween, I'm entitled to have a drink. Hell, everybody's doing it"!!!!!!

Shudder with the horrible memories that it could have been a former version of me that was driving towards you.

Well done to you Ironwoman. I bet that open rum bottle, with nobody looking was screaming at you. Good work, you refused to listen. Way to beef-up those sobriety muscles. Pun intended. (Muscles?.....Ironwoman?.........oh, nevermind)

I was posting about enjoying waking up from drinking dreams recently. (It seems they are very common). After the initial "oh **** I got drunk again" feeling, there's an even more powerful; "wait, it was only a dream" feeling which fills me with joy and relief. I had one last night though and I'm not sure how I feel yet.

I had been drinking and was driving a Nissan Micra (never owned one) with my son beside me in a toddler car seat. We were high in the twisty mountain roads in Wales and the roads had a covering of snow. I was sliding around in the car narrowly avoiding other cars and we were both laughing. I was really admiring my superior driving skills in the tricky conditions, when I lost control on a particularly sharp, slippery bend.
We crashed through the barrier and left the road.
The car went tumbling over and over and I kept asking my son if he was ok. "Yes, I'm ok Daddy". This went on for a long time, with me asking him if he was ok and him giving the same answer. Eventually we came to a bone shuddering stop and the air was very quiet. I pulled myself together and went to see if he was ok. I checked his beautiful face and body and couldn't see any marks. "Are you ok son?".................... "It hurts Daddy"
I could feel the tears rolling down my face. "Where does it hurt my darling?" "My big toe".
I was so relieved and was kissing his big toe when a farmer and his wife arrived to see if we were ok. They said it was a horrific accident and that the car had tumbled over and over down the mountain. I said that everything was fine because I knew I'd been drinking and just wanted to get away. They said they were going to call the police, but my son persuaded them that there was no need, and anyway it would be irresponsible of them to call the police out in such treacherous conditions.
Then I woke up sweating!

I see so many analogies to my drinking career in that dream, but I'll leave it up to the Freudians amongst you to analyse. I'd love to hear your interpretations.

BTW, my son is now 24 years old, in the army, 6'2" and 220 lbs of muscle!

Ps yes, I do have lucid dreams
Old 11-01-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Wow. And I thought I remembered my dreams in detail ~ guess I'm not the only one.

Guilt. Shame. Regret. Fear of what could have been.

Just my thoughts....it seems that dream was a reminder for you of all that could have happened. In a tiny car, when you had no way to protect yourself and your beautiful baby son. But you did....he is thriving. And so are you.

You tumbled over and over for how long? Maybe, if you are like me, it was for years...but just look at you now. Not only did you survive, but you have grown into an amazing man, a great dad and a caring, compassionate human being.

V xx
Old 11-01-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Your dream sounds agonizing, Sparkos. However, I feel these dreams are necessary because they show that our sober minds are finally getting a chance to process the guilt and pain associated with our drinking pasts as well as any current fears of relapse and all of the other wild emotions experienced in early sobriety. The wonderful thing to remember afterwards is that there is healing in those dreams. A restless, sober night now will bring many peaceful nights in the future!

It feels truly amazing to start November on sober ground. Last night was hard, but today is already easier because I stayed focused last night. (Focused on chocolate mostly...but that's a different battle for a different day. Ha!)

I'm seeing a theme in my post... I hope you all do too. Lotsa love, SR friends! If you stumbled last night, get back here! We need you! <3

And thanks for the well wishes everyone. I hope the other driver made it home safely, too.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Good analyses Venus and Conquest.
I don't really give much truck to dream interpretations, but as you say, Conquest, the wild emotions of early sobriety manifest themselves in all sort of ways.
Venus, you picked up on things that I hadn't noticed; the vulnerability of the small car relating to the state I was in in full blown addiction, tumbling over and over relating to the years of drinking.
I was also thinking of my cockiness in drinking relating to my reckless driving, and my son persuading the farmer not to call the police as my loved ones protecting me.
Crikey I've messed up a lot in the past.
Well the veil has lifed over my eyes and the only way to make amends is (you guessed it); never to drink again and to never change my mind!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
Well the veil has lifed over my eyes and the only way to make amends is (you guessed it); never to drink again and to never change my mind!
Yep. Cos if you go back Sparkos my friend, it is a horrible pain-filled guilt-ridden ride to he**.

Unfortunately, I know this from experience.

V xx
Old 11-01-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Sparkos, it sounds like your dream (however you interpret it) has made you more committed than ever and that is awesome.
I am also so glad to be waking up to a new month with 2 weeks of sobriety already. The first of the month has often been day one for me, so it's nice to have the worst part over
Good things have been coming my way lately, and it feels good and I feel deserving of it. I know it doesn't always work like this and sometimes things fall apart even when we are doing the right thing (staying sober) but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here and use it as motivation to not cave to the wine craving that I know will be lurking around the corner later this afternoon.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

That sounds great FBL, I'm a big believer in reloading all our armoury in better times, and congratulations on crossing the month end/ month beginning threshold in sobriety.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Good Morning all you Octsobers
Hope all the temptations of a Friday night and Halloween parties were kept at bay. October was a great month and you all helped make it that way. Let's knock out November and the Holidays together. Let's make this holiday season one to remember. Pun intended .
Day 21. Ahh. It feels good. Well have a great Saturday.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Graduation to the Daily Support forum guys

The new November group now takes your place in the Newcomers forum.

the next phase begins

D