Notices

First time here

Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here

Hello all, today I decided to take control of my life and stop drinking. I can finally admit I don't control my drinking, it controls me. I'm so tired of the battle. I don't want to be so sick in my soul anymore. The guilt, anxiety and general feelings of zero self-worth. When I drink, there is no off switch. I have to be done with it.

I'm looking forward to reading posts and learning from the members.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

So glad you are here Chifan - I could have written that post myself & can relate to every word of it. This is a great group here & you will find much support & inspiration!!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

welcome Chifan7 ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I have no shut off switch, either. Once I started there was no telling when it would end.
I share with you those feelings of guilt, remorse and shame along with the horrible anxiety that came after drinking.
I had to, after many, many attempts, take control of drinking. And that was by not drinking at all.
I tried and failed so many times. Even with solemn vows, pouring it out and trying to control it. It was all to no avail until I accepted the fact that I was beat. Alcohol won.

And I was a bad drunk. A serious drinker. Tomorrow will be three years ten months since alcohol crossed my lips if don't drink today. And that's all I can do, not drink today. I won't think about tomorrow until it gets here.
What keeps me sober is always remembering my drinking days. I wasn't even living any more, I was merely existing. It was a fate I wouldn't wish on any one.

Keep fresh in your mind how you feel now, friend, and remember it the next time you want a drink and realize you never have to feel that way again.
Best to you and I hope to read more from you. You can do it.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Chifan

D
Old 10-23-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't want to be so sick in my soul anymore.

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to welcome you. I can really identify with your post, and I hope you stay and continue to take advantage of everything this forum has to offer! We're here to support you.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Chifan. Good decision.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! We'll get through this together. xxxx
Old 10-23-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chifan7 View Post
Hello all, today I decided to take control of my life and stop drinking. I can finally admit I don't control my drinking, it controls me. I'm so tired of the battle. I don't want to be so sick in my soul anymore. The guilt, anxiety and general feelings of zero self-worth. When I drink, there is no off switch. I have to be done with it.

I'm looking forward to reading posts and learning from the members.

Hi and welcome.
Many here know well that feeling of despair and so many “I don’t knows.” Some quit drinking and don’t look back or bemoan the fact it was so much a part of their life and can’t continue without it.
Most here just cannot drink in safety and need to accept it along with being honest with themselves about their own drinking.
Part of the plan is to not drink one day at a time and make changes to accomplish this. This site is a good place for encouragement and suggestions if the forums are read and absorbed.
AA is helping millions world wide. Many programs work IF we work them and don’t slack off, which is too common once we feel better.
The words KEEP COMING were a big part of my getting sober.

BE WELL
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard !!! I'm proud of you for making this decision. Post here, read here, often
Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chifan.
This site is a great, supportive resource.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Excellent Choice Who ever thought drinking would be so tiring . One is to many 2 not enough for me. Be strong you will enjoy the new sober life. Its a lot easier then the drinking life. Day 11 for me Im loving it and feel good about me , life and my future. My only regret is I took so long to make the choice, But I finally made it.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

Welcome Chifan7! You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. My only problem here is that I can spend hours combing through all the posts. There's so much and I am grateful
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chifan!!